Missouri elk

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I had heard from a pretty reliable source a few weeks back, that Missouri was looking good on the elk population growth, and that the state would be considering a hunt in the near future. The MDC recently announced that the herd is nearing target populations, and we may have a hunt sooner than later.

It's been neat watching this unfold for the last 7 years, I'm really looking forward to the state opening up a hunt.

http://www.kbia.org/post/missouri-may-see-elk-hunt-next-two-years#stream/0

https://elknetwork.com/missouri-may-host-elk-hunt-in-2020/

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
That's very cool- should be some impressive bulls in that herd by now. I'm guessing the draw odds will be worse than a Wyoming grizzly hunt though.

rackpack

Mar 17, 2014
Festus, MO
Good post Fink. We archery hunt in Southern Missouri and I've heard elk bugle but have not seen one yet. Our neighbors showed me a video of a cow elk with a collar walking near their stand when they were bow hunting. Just pretty exciting to see and Missouri Department of conservation has done a great job with the restoration project. I just hope they don't allow hunting pressure too early.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Good post Fink. We archery hunt in Southern Missouri and I've heard elk bugle but have not seen one yet. Our neighbors showed me a video of a cow elk with a collar walking near their stand when they were bow hunting. Just pretty exciting to see and Missouri Department of conservation has done a great job with the restoration project. I just hope they don't allow hunting pressure too early.
Very cool Rackpack. It'd be neat to hear elk bugling while you're deer hunting! Secretly, I'd love to see the elk return to the vast majority of the Southern half of the state, but that will never happen.
I can't see them putting too much pressure on this herd, With the low total number (less than 500 at peak carrying capacity), they'll manage this pretty tightly. My guess for the first few years is that there will be less than 10 tags total each year. Probably more like 4-5 bull tags annually, and no cow tags until numbers reach much higher than the 200 herd minimum.

Either way, I'm really excited about this. From what I understand, tag drawing will be totally random, no points, etc... I certainly hope this is the case, as I just can't see instituting a preference point system for a hunt that even at peak numbers, will offer no more than probably 20 bull tags annually. Will be curious if they allow non residents the opportunity to apply. My guess would be no, until they can offer more than 10 tags.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I expect it to be much like Arkansas elk. The public viewing is the major reason for the elk. Never will be many tags and very few bull tags. The farmers will tire of them very fast when the damage to fencing and loss of hay affects their farming. It is now legal to kill an elk with out a tag in Arkansas during deer season if it is out side of the 4 elk counties. With the CWD hot areas being the core elk counties most people wish they never brought them back and wish they were all gone.