Missouri Break Archery Elk

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
All:

I wanted to get some hands on info from anyone who is familiar with recent info from these areas. I have enough points to draw any of the archery only tags and wanted to get some opinions. Not dead set on these areas yet as I have other options, but could be a fun hunt. PM me and I can trade for info on anything CO.

I grew up in MT and still have plenty of family in Billings, just wanted to get up to date info as most of what I know and family info is 5-10 years old.

Thx,

CODAK

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I haven't looked at the regs lately, but I wished they would make 2 or 3 separate seasons for the archery, spread out the pressure.

Hunted there 2x, it got hit hard and long! very low archery success rates %

MT257

Jun 28, 2017
I haven't looked at the regs lately, but I wished they would make 2 or 3 separate seasons for the archery, spread out the pressure.

Hunted there 2x, it got hit hard and long! very low archery success rates %
I disagree with splitting it into 2 or 3 separate seasons. That is just in to open an entire can of worms.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I disagree with splitting it into 2 or 3 separate seasons. That is just in to open an entire can of worms.
at least for non-residents it might be nicer. Even for residents I think it would as well.

But sure no one likes change.

Let's just say 3000 hunters all 6 weeks....vs. 1000 every 2 weeks...

the pressure would be far lower, and I would bet success rates would increase.

whether they went to 3-2 week seasons, or 2-3 week seasons, I think it would help.

Not that they ever will, but it's pretty nuts out there.

I think the archery success rates were like 7% when I was hunting there... that's pretty dismal IMO, sure a guy could get lucky back in the day with a 350 plus...

3-2 weeks I'd like to see.

You could possibly even issue MORE TAGS, and REDUCE PRESSURE, and INCREASE SUCCESS RATES!

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
You could possibly even issue MORE TAGS, and REDUCE PRESSURE, and INCREASE SUCCESS RATES!
This is what CO needs to do. If they don't like hunting with the muzzleloaders, make them choose. Hunt before or after. Split the OTC archery into 2 draws. I can already hear the moaning and groaning! ;)

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I don't have any information to provide you, but I've been kinda pondering saving a few points to hunt the breaks. I think I'd take my surface drive up with me, and go in by boat. Shooting an elk and packing him down to a duck boat would be a rather unique experience..

MT257

Jun 28, 2017
So how will you address those that can’t access much of the breaks if they go to a spilt season when it gets its normal week long rain and no one can get into hunt cause it takes a week to dry up. And no the answer is not more tags. Quality of elk has gone down in recent years. 1900 archery tags is more than enough. I’m not sure where you pulled 3000 permits from. The pressure isn't bad if your willing to get off the road, most people are not. And I believe most time success rates for archery is 10% that average has been there for a long time even before people started really coming to the breaks.

Last edited:

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I seen the biggest bull I have ever seen in the Breaks back in the late 1990s, I only had a deer tag but stumbling across the huge 7x8 totally made our trip. I know that does nothing to help your situation but I had to put it out there because it was an experience I will never forget.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
BKC I disagree... CO has way too many damn big game seasons already (>15) and MT and WY have like two...
I'm not really wanting more big game seasons. I would like to see archery go to draw, and if there were two seasons that fit into the existing one season, I think after a few years the pressure would even out and you wouldn't get a glut of hunters on the front end of Aug/Sept.