missing tenderloins

Roger L

Aug 17, 2011
Hi,
I am just curious of what others think about this.
I went on a rather expensive guided elk hunt out of Rawlins, WY in October. I did get a very nice bull which we hung in the outfitters shop and WE cut up the next day, sufficiently for me to get it home. I process most of my meat and cut/bagged/burger, etc the meat.
One glaring absence was the tenderloins. I contacted the outfitter and he was unable to locate them. He has offered to give me the tenderloins from his elk but that has yet to happen.
I even sent a picture of the 3" of tenderloins I had cut out of the elk, assuming they would join the rest when I got home.
Not a good situation for me.

• Sad
Reactions: cutback

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
If you would have posted this last week...I could have hooked you up with the tenderloins and backstraps off 8 different elk.

Sorry it happened, but its probably nothing to lose sleep over either.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hi,
I am just curious of what others think about this.
I went on a rather expensive guided elk hunt out of Rawlins, WY in October. I did get a very nice bull which we hung in the outfitters shop and WE cut up the next day, sufficiently for me to get it home. I process most of my meat and cut/bagged/burger, etc the meat.
One glaring absence was the tenderloins. I contacted the outfitter and he was unable to locate them. He has offered to give me the tenderloins from his elk but that has yet to happen.
I even sent a picture of the 3" of tenderloins I had cut out of the elk, assuming they would join the rest when I got home.
Not a good situation for me.
What outfitter were you hunting with?

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Its probably just a screw up. I do wonder why the outfitter just didn't send you some; would have been the nice (and smart) thing to do.

Reactions: Winchester

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I know a number of hunters who just leave the tenderloins in the field.

Their explanation is that they are inside the gut cavity and anything inside the gut cavity is guts and unfit to eat.

I scratched my head on that one.

Roger L

Aug 17, 2011
Hi,
Thank you all for the replies. I am hoping they make good on getting me some replacement Tenderloins (yes, the small internal ones). It just annoys me that they we gone. I cut up the area containing the tenderloins and all but a few inches had been removed. I naively assumed someone had cut them out prior to me getting there and put them in one of my meat sacks.

Roger L

Aug 17, 2011
What outfitter were you hunting with?
Hi, I don't want to throw them under the bus because I really do not know what happened. This is my second hunt with them(I got a beautiful 191 mule deer last year). The outfitters are great guys and they do things right. For all I know someone who had a key to their shop decided to help themselves. It is just a bummer!

Roger L

Aug 17, 2011
Roger, I didn’t mean it to be mean! I bet they got cut up. I always take them out or tell the processor to package them whole!
Hi Pete, I was only kidding with the "mean" response! But I know meat and we processed it all ourselves and I can tell you that we never saw the tenderloins.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hi, I don't want to throw them under the bus because I really do not know what happened. This is my second hunt with them(I got a beautiful 191 mule deer last year). The outfitters are great guys and they do things right. For all I know someone who had a key to their shop decided to help themselves. It is just a bummer!
I was asking because I know some in that region on a personal level. Thought I might be able to help.