Max points

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I am trying to understand how max points works. How is it determined what max points is and once you have max points do your odds of drawing increase after that? Example: If max points is 5 and I apply unsuccessfully for 4 years after I got to max points will I have a better chance of drawing then someone that just got max points? Thanks!

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
In 2006 Wyoming went to a point system. Anyone that has bought points since then has max points. I'm assuming other states max points is since they established a point system? Every year you apply or buy a point, your points & the max points goes up.

ADavid

Mar 11, 2011
Casper, WY
max points go up each year so you have the advantage over people who started after you. like in your example if you were at max points at 5 and were unsuccesful for 4 years you would have 9 points which would be the new max point. it is impossible for some one to catch up to the same amount of points as you unless you fail to put in or buy a point one year.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Maximum possible points for Elk, going into the 2014 draw will be 8.
YOUR point total may be less.
The maximum points needed to draw a specific hunt, may also be less. It depends on the applicants that apply...

Sometimes, when people talk "max points" they are referring to the points needed to draw that specific hunt code, which may very well be less than the total points that are possible to obtain at that given time.
The scenario might be, "I have max-1 points for Elk, what hunts can I draw?" In this instance I have 7 points going into 2014 and looking at the PP odds report, there are a number of units that had single digit odds for people with the maximum possible points (7 for 2013) so those hunts would be un drawable for me in the PP draw. My only chance for that hunt would be to luck out and draw one of the tags in the random draw.

Aug 28, 2013
Maximum possible points for Elk, going into the 2014 draw will be 8.
YOUR point total may be less.
The maximum points needed to draw a specific hunt, may also be less. It depends on the applicants that apply...

Sometimes, when people talk "max points" they are referring to the points needed to draw that specific hunt code, which may very well be less than the total points that are possible to obtain at that given time.
The scenario might be, "I have max-1 points for Elk, what hunts can I draw?" In this instance I have 7 points going into 2014 and looking at the PP odds report, there are a number of units that had single digit odds for people with the maximum possible points (7 for 2013) so those hunts would be un drawable for me in the PP draw. My only chance for that hunt would be to luck out and draw one of the tags in the random draw.

I think that the max points anyone can have for 2014 will be 7 points. I got started 1 year late and have 6 points.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
CC is correct in that it's 8 this year. If you have 6, you either started 2 years late or missed a year somewhere along the way along with starting a year late. It's very easy to look in the draw odds for 2013 and see that a lot of guys got tags with their 7 PPs last season..

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Absolutely it is 8 points going into 2014, that's where I am at. The Wyoming non-resident max point pool for elk is as follows:

4527 max point applicants going into the 2012 draw
3680 max point applicants going into the 2013 draw
3054 max point applicants going into the 2014 draw

This pool drops by about 20% each year. The preference tags for the top 10 units or so units will be drawn by max point holders for probably the next 10 years.

Yes…I am obsessed with the numbers and stats…..

Aug 28, 2013
I thought I started banking points the second year, but I guess it was the third year. I have been just banking points for deer and elk the last 6 years. I thought I was only 1 year behind but I am 2 years. That's a little disappointing.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Im way behind lol, I only have 2 points for elk. I would have 3 but I forgot to buy a point the first year I applied for deer and antelope.

norcalhunter

Mar 29, 2011
Nor Cal
I was looking at the drawing odds and saw that 2 people with 7 points(max points) put in for a General A tag in the special draw. That was a huge and expensive mistake. Those guys should have used Epic Outdoors, lol!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Should have just asked here, a GEN tag is still guaranteed as a 2nd choice in the special draw. And will be for years to come.
I screwed up a couple of years ago and did exactly that. Used my max points on a gen tag for a guided hunt and should have bought the special as second choice and saved my points. I listened to the outfitter instead of doing my own research......STUPID ME!!!

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I screwed up a couple of years ago and did exactly that. Used my max points on a gen tag for a guided hunt and should have bought the special as second choice and saved my points. I listened to the outfitter instead of doing my own research......STUPID ME!!!
Not stupid Cowboy, Wyoming regs are damned confusing for residents...more so for non-residents.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Not stupid Cowboy, Wyoming regs are damned confusing for residents...more so for non-residents.
***Geez, IMHO Wyoming is about the easiest state until you get into the way they do the NR draws now that PPs are involved. Then it can get a little hairy if you don't go in and read exactly how they do them.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Should have just asked here, a GEN tag is still guaranteed as a 2nd choice in the special draw. And will be for years to come.
Huntin Fool is reportedly going to run a feature promoting the general season elk tags in Wyoming in January's issue. Apparently two of their consultants killed 350+ bulls this year on general tags. Once that article runs, it will very likely affect being able to draw the GEN tag as a second choice. I can't count how many times sleeper hunts have been crushed with applicants once the big magazines run a story on them.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I been going over drawing odds on CO and WY last few days and its amazing to see how many guys apply with 2 or 3 times the points needed to draw a unit. Saw 1 in CO someone with 8 or 9 points applied for a tag that took 1 point. Always do your own research! Im glad I started this thread. It has really helped me understand the draw and point creep alot better!

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I hunt a unit in Colorado for bulls that was featured in a magazine as a sleeper unit about 6 years ago. The next year it went up a couple of points and took a while for it to come back to reality. With so many media options for huntyers these days it is hard to keep a good area secret. Publicity really crushed unit 49 here in Colorado.