Magnums-best recoil compromise?

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm thinking about getting a new rifle. For the longest time, I was set on a 7mm Weatherby Mag; but since shooting one, I wonder if there might be something with similair long range ballistics and down range energy, but maybe less recoil?

I don't see myself ever as a true long range hunter, but something heavier than my .280 that can reliably toss a round 500 yards accurately, with enough omph to anchor an elk would be maybe a place to start. Ideas welcomed.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Go with a 7mm Rem mag, slightly less powerful then the Weatherby but still has the long range reach with recoil just above a 30-06.

Remember that you usually don't feel any recoil when out hunting and shooting at a animal. I shoot a .340 Weatherby and it will punish you at the bench, but take it out hunting and it is a sweetheart while shooting at game. At least on my shoulder but not when it hits something

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I'm thinking about getting a new rifle. For the longest time, I was set on a 7mm Weatherby Mag; but since shooting one, I wonder if there might be something with similair long range ballistics and down range energy, but maybe less recoil?

I don't see myself ever as a true long range hunter, but something heavier than my .280 that can reliably toss a round 500 yards accurately, with enough omph to anchor an elk would be maybe a place to start. Ideas welcomed.
hmmm.... less kick than 7mm Weatherby. Why not just put a break on it? Also if you already have a 280 why are you considering a 7mm? I know what im about to say will kick more than a 7mm weatherby. But have you considered the 300 win or weatherby mag. Then you get a greater bullet weight variation as well.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Get what you want and buy a lead sled for the range. Like Jim said you don't feel recoil when your hunting. As i'm sure you are aware. The 7mm weatherby is a great cartridge. Im also a huge fan of the 28 nosler and 7mm STW. But own a 7mm rem mag lol 🤣

Reactions: Prerylyon

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What do you guys think about the .270 Weatherby mag?
It is a fantastic round, and it was Roy Weatherby's favorite one out of all of the ones that he developed.

I have a Ruger #1 in .270 Weatherby and plan on making it a great antelope rifle shooting 130 grain pill at 3300-3400 fps. It should be deadly on any deer, elk, or antelope.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I have always been a big fan of the Weatherby magnums, I have several including the 270 wby mag. Both the 7mm and 270 wby mags are great rounds but I have been curious about the Winchester short mags. The 270 wsm comes pretty close to the 270 wby balistics.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have always been a big fan of the Weatherby magnums, I have several including the 270 wby mag. Both the 7mm and 270 wby mags are great rounds but I have been curious about the Winchester short mags. The 270 wsm comes pretty close to the 270 wby balistics.
Yep; I'm also intrigued by the shorties as well. Bullets in the .277 to .308 range seem to be a sweet spot for getting the most bang for ballistic buck; there are some short mags lobbing those rounds worth a look. 👍

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My rifle for elk & larger game is a .300 Wby built on a custom commercial Mauser action. I shoot a 180 gr bullet in my handloads. I do have a muzzlebreak that is threaded so I can remove it. As several have mentioned, the bench work is where it beats you up. The break cuts the recoil down to less than my 25-06. They are also very loud. I remove the break when I am hunting as I definitely don't feel the recoils when I am hunting, probably too much adrenalin pumping. I have also shot a couple of moose too. I just won't drop below .30 cal for these animals. Yes the rifle shoots sub moa at 500+ yards.....way longer than I customarily shoot.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I recently got a 28 Nosler which is working very well. I put a muzzle break on it and the recoil is minimal now. Obviously that's not much different than your .280 though. Since you're looking for something heavier the 300s recommended above (win mag or Weatherby) would be great choices. Put on a removable muzzle brake like CC mentioned and you'll be good to go.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
My rifle for elk & larger game is a .300 Wby built on a custom commercial Mauser action. I shoot a 180 gr bullet in my handloads. I do have a muzzlebreak that is threaded so I can remove it. As several have mentioned, the bench work is where it beats you up. The break cuts the recoil down to less than my 25-06. They are also very loud. I remove the break when I am hunting as I definitely don't feel the recoils when I am hunting, probably too much adrenalin pumping. I have also shot a couple of moose too. I just won't drop below .30 cal for these animals. Yes the rifle shoots sub moa at 500+ yards.....way longer than I customarily shoot.
i have a savage 116 bearhunter in 338 win mag. I was in a blind with my pops and he was shooting and i forgot to close the muzzle break before i handed it to him. OUCH! I wont ever make that mistake again lol.

• Wow

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I’d go 7mm wby or stw if you want a 7mm. Otherwise a 300wby is great. Haven't been lucky enough to try either on an elk yet but i have a 300wby and a 6.5-300wby. The 6.5 has a break and its like shooting my 257wby which is very very mild. Ive never felt the recoil of my 300 which has no brake, when its locked on critter. Breaks are loud but they really tame the recoil.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
i have a savage 116 bearhunter in 338 win mag. I was in a blind with my pops and he was shooting and i forgot to close the muzzle break before i handed it to him. OUCH! I wont ever make that mistake again lol.
Yeah, I had a .338 win mag once. Nice caliber but geez that thing kicked. :oops:
Since the OP is looking for "maybe less recoil" I wouldn't recommend a .338.