Looking for Idaho Elk hunting partner/group/guide - Bannock A Sept 15th - 30th

Shaggzz26

Aug 25, 2021
Minnesota
I am planning to hunt Elk A Tag - Bannock Zone the 2nd half of Sept. 2022. Non-resident from Minnesota, this will be my 5th year Elk Hunting Idaho, 2 in Beaverhead, 2 in McCall and 1st yr in Bannock

Unfortunately I lost my 2 hunting partners here in the last month due to a string of unfortunate (and some fortunate) events (i.e...lay-offs, marriage engagements, new jobs etc...) including myself, laid off after 13 years. I decided to wait until after Sept to decide my next chapter.
Looking for anyone hunting in that Zone, Other solo hunters or Groups or even a Guide willing to join forces.
Elk Hunting solo isn't a real great (or smart) option but I'm the type that would do it but, I am throwing some stones out there to see if maybe there is any welcoming hunters or potential future hunting partners!

If you like Whitetail deer, I own 150ac in Northern Midwest with plenty of 160/170's, maybe that will sweeten the offer.

Good Luck to Everyone, stay safe and shoot straight ??

PM if interested

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Trying to find a hunting partner on the WWW would be about like finding a good wife with the same process.

I cherish the hunting partners that I have had in my lifetime and sadly I am down to just a couple of them left. I'm also finding that the older that I get the more solo hunts that I go on. But on those hunts I do not hunt as hard or go as far as I would if I had a dependable partner to go with me.

Shaggzz26

Aug 25, 2021
Minnesota
Trying to find a hunting partner on the WWW would be about like finding a good wife with the same process.

I cherish the hunting partners that I have had in my lifetime and sadly I am down to just a couple of them left. I'm also finding that the older that I get the more solo hunts that I go on. But on those hunts I do not hunt as hard or go as far as I would if I had a dependable partner to go with me.

LOL, so true!
Must be why I've struck out in the wife department too! Or maybe I'm excelling at that... it's all about perspective 😌

I've been pretty solo since about 2016, when I got sober and really started to take my Bow hunting to a more meaningful level!

I've made 30+ solo trips to Missouri bow hunting CA's, never a concern about being solo "after the kill", all those trips have been amazing!

But, Mountains, Steep inclines with elevation add a new twist, not to mention packing out a 1000lb animal is an obstacle for 3 guys let alone one!

But, I won't let it deter me, I'll figure things out as they come!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I've done a lot of physically tough things in my life, but possibly the most difficult was a solo hunt in the Maroon Bells (CO) 8 years ago. I packed out a mule deer on a muzzy hunt, then went back the next day to get my camp. It was a reality check as to trying to do the same for elk, that would require 4 or 5 trips. In that case it would involve 12 mountain miles for each trip. I am hunting solo this year for elk in WY, but have arrangement to have my camp and any elk killed packed out by horses. I suggest that you think long and hard before pulling the trigger and to not go where you can not or should not go. Good luck.

Reactions: minn elk chaser

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I've done a lot of physically tough things in my life, but possibly the most difficult was a solo hunt in the Maroon Bells (CO) 8 years ago. I packed out a mule deer on a muzzy hunt, then went back the next day to get my camp. It was a reality check as to trying to do the same for elk, that would require 4 or 5 trips. In that case it would involve 12 mountain miles for each trip. I am hunting solo this year for elk in WY, but have arrangement to have my camp and any elk killed packed out by horses. I suggest that you think long and hard before pulling the trigger and to not go where you can not or should not go. Good luck.
Agreed 100%!

I personally would never pull the trigger on a bull solo if I was more then a mile or two away from the truck. They are huge, heavy and not to mention the possibly of getting hurt. For me it’s not worth it.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Agreed 100%!

I personally would never pull the trigger on a bull solo if I was more then a mile or two away from the truck. They are huge, heavy and not to mention the possibly of getting hurt. For me it’s not worth it.
I don't disagree completely but... I would rather pack elk for 2-3 days than hunt hard for 10 trying to find one close to a road.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm still trying to figure out how plenty of 160"/170" deer live on 150 acres in harmony.

Sounds like Narnia to me! LOL

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I have probably killed close to 20 elk solo. Some of the pack outs sucked, some did not. A lot of it is mind set and terrain, go slow and steady and know your limitations. You do owe it to the animal to get it all out before spoilage sets in. If you are going to leave it overnight, make sure you did the proper work before hand, to get it cool.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Agreed 100%!

I personally would never pull the trigger on a bull solo if I was more than a mile or two away from the truck. They are huge, heavy and not to mention the possibly of getting hurt. For me it’s not worth it.
what hilltop said.
if I had the time and weather was permitting, I would kill an elk pretty much anywhere I was able to. bone it out and it is only three trips. maybe four if a big bull.
if I HAD to have it out that day, I probably wouldn't be more than a mile from the road anyhow.

of all the elk I have killed over the years, only one stayed on the mtn overnight. and that was only because I killed it at dusk. I am not the pack mule I was in my youth, but I can still hold my own with most.

Last edited:

Shaggzz26

Aug 25, 2021
Minnesota
Agreed 100%!

I couldn't agree more, this trip will require extra thought and strategy, however, I'm still working some things to see if I can't get a hunting partner to share the experience with and reduce some of those risks. I absolutely won't be going in too deep solo and certainly won't pull the trigger unless I have some arrangement in place.

Thanks for all the insight, my trip is all about the experience and not solely on the kill... I learned that a long time ago, we win every day we get to just go out and hunt regardless if we get one or not.

Good luck everyone

Reactions: gonhunting247

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
How did the hunt go? I picked up this same tag for ‘23. Probably gonna end up solo.
What were the elk numbers like? Were there lots of people in the unit?

Shaggzz26

Aug 25, 2021
Minnesota
Ok, ya got me a little!
maybe it's more like plenty of 140" & 150" with a few 160". 3 owners own near 1000ac, all bow hunt and manage...
Actually have 3 bucks that are pushing 160/170 still roaming my tract, certainly is Narnia to me! That buck is from this past November

Attachments

Reactions: gonhunting247