Locktite on your rings and bases?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've done it both ways with no problems either way.

However on my heavy recoiling .340 Weatherby I used some blue Loctite on both the bases and the rings.

I have noticed that on a lot of new rings sets that the screws come with blue locktite on them from the factory.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Blue Loctite and buy you one of these.....Run them in until they touch by hand, then in an X pattern go up in increments of 25% of max torque until final value is achieved.

I bought one of these tools several years ago and I was shocked at how loose some of my scopes and bases were. I took EVERY scoped gun I owned and went back through and removed the bases and rings and put Loctite and torqued everything- Rings and Bases.I have never had a problem since and discovered a couple overlooked issues from original mounting that I fixed.

Not trying to be smart here but are your screws too long? That could cause obvious problems. Reason I am asking is I have seen that overlooked before.

Last edited:
Reactions: buckbull and JimP

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Blue loctite has a gel version now, it works awesome on small ring and base screws. I use to use it on everything, but I’ve started to not use it on some smaller calibers because they claim you don’t need it, so far so good, but still makes me nervous.

idcwby

Reactions: Montana

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Blue Lok-tite and buy you one of these.....Run them in until they touch by hand, then in an X pattern go up in increments of 25% of max torque until final value is achieved.

I bought one of these tools several years ago and I was shocked at how loose some of my scopes and bases were. I took EVERY scoped gun I owned and went back through and removed the bases and rings and put lok-tite and torqued everything- Rings and Bases.I have never had a problem since and discovered a couple overlooked issues from original mounting that I fixed.

Not trying to be smart here but are your screws too long? That could cause obvious problems. Reason I am asking is I have seen that overlooked before.
Blue loctite and fat wrench! I just so happened to be working on a scope last night and had the wrench still laying on the coffee table.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Blue loctite and fat wrench! I just so happened to be working on a scope last night and had the wrench still laying on the coffee table.
View attachment 30501
What amazed me when I got my wrench was that how over tightening I was torquing the screws. When I first set the wrench up and used it I couldn't believe that the screws were tight enough. Then after I thought about it it all made sense.

One thing on the screws and Locktite, you should degrease both the screws and the threads that you will be screwing the screw into. I just use a squirt of brake cleaning fluid and a q-tip and then let it sit for a few minutes to make sure that it is dry before applying the LocTite and putting everything together.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The piece of paper that should come with your fat wrench should reference the torque specs for specific sized screws.

In my situation, I found that I was under tightening them by a significant amount. This was probably because of a lesson earlier in life when my CNC machine shop teacher told me after he caught me using a cheater pipe on a Allen wrench......."There is a reason an Allen wrench handle is only 2" long..."

I use torque wrenches and my machinist handbook for everything I tighten. It takes an extra minute but it saves a LOT of headaches.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Back when I had my FFL a guy at work asked me to order him a rifle, scope, and mounts. The evening of the day I gave it to him he called me up and said that the bolt on the rifle was stuck halfway in. I asked what he had done and he said he mounted the scope and tried to cycle the action and it was "stuck". I told him to remove the scope and mounts because one of the screws was probably too long, so he did but the bolt was still stuck. I told him to bring it to work the next day and we would take a look at it, so after work we met up at his father's house because it was close to work. In examining the rifle I asked him what the blue stuff was on the bolt. His answer "I am not sure" I asked if he used locktitte on the screws and he said yes. I asked did you put it on the screws or squirt it in the holes. He did not have to answer as the look on his face said enough. At this point his father joined the conversation as he could not believe his son would be so stupid. Long story short with the help of a hair dryer I was able to heat up the bolt and get it free. I could not believe how much locktite was covering the bolt. At this point his father began to chime in again with "all you need is a little on the screws, whats wrong with you". I began to feel uncomfortable as he was extremely embarrassed and his father was not letting up. His dad and I got a good laugh out of it for the next few years but my friend never found it funny.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Back when I had my FFL a guy at work asked me to order him a rifle, scope, and mounts. The evening of the day I gave it to him he called me up and said that the bolt on the rifle was stuck halfway in. I asked what he had done and he said he mounted the scope and tried to cycle the action and it was "stuck". I told him to remove the scope and mounts because one of the screws was probably too long, so he did but the bolt was still stuck. I told him to bring it to work the next day and we would take a look at it, so after work we met up at his father's house because it was close to work. In examining the rifle I asked him what the blue stuff was on the bolt. His answer "I am not sure" I asked if he used locktitte on the screws and he said yes. I asked did you put it on the screws or squirt it in the holes. He did not have to answer as the look on his face said enough. At this point his father joined the conversation as he could not believe his son would be so stupid. Long story short with the help of a hair dryer I was able to heat up the bolt and get it free. I could not believe how much locktite was covering the bolt. At this point his father began to chime in again with "all you need is a little on the screws, whats wrong with you". I began to feel uncomfortable as he was extremely embarrassed and his father was not letting up. His dad and I got a good laugh out of it for the next few years but my friend never found it funny.
Lesson learned lol