Lightweight Hunting Boots?

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I know this is an older thread, but I just found out that Belleville now makes hiker-type boots, 6" high, waterproof, etc. I just bought a pair, I'll let you know how they work it.

I've got wide feet (4E in New Balance) and I've had good luck with Belleville. The only other hikers I've been able to find that fit are Merrells, which are great, they're extremely comfortable, but the eyelets are cloth and the last two pairs had eyelets rip out at about the 9-month point.
I'm resurrecting this to report on the Belleville boots, they're the Tactical Research 555.

I like them, but they have some serious design flaws and poor QC, so from a practical standpoint I have to say the ones that I got are junk.

I got the first pair, laced them up and a speedlace eyelet popped out. The rivets for the eyelets weren't fully spread and one slipped out.

Got a second pair, the eyelets held, but all of the rivets were questionable as to whether they would hold, so I used a center punch on all of them.

Longer term, the upper eyelet design puts all of the stress on a small spot on the leather, so they will rip through at some point. I now wear them around the yard, etc, but I really don't expect them to make it to hunting season next year, especially if they get wet a few more times, but we'll see.

The eyelets Belleville normally uses crimps onto the leather itself, eliminating the stress point issue.

In addition, they are advertised as being waterproof, but they aren't.

The basic design of the boots is actually really good, after a short break-in they are really comfortable, I like wearing the, and they have a good tread design.

If Belleville fixes the eyelets and the waterproofing, they'd be great boots.

As I'm sure many of the military guys here relate to, I've had multiple pairs of Belleville boots, most of which have had the soles worn flat while the rest of the boot still has some life left in it. So, this isn't typical of the manufacturer, it's just cutting corners and poor QC on this particular design.

H3Dad

Aug 12, 2011
Los Molinos Ca.
I have the pronghorns the jackel and UA boots. They are all great boots for the price, however the pronghorns are a little heavy and offer the best support with a stiffer sole. They are definitely a boot. The jackel is much lighter with fair support but you can still cover the miles with these boots, it was hard for me to trash these boots even after wearing the soles out. UA I have only had one year yet they fit like a glove and are very light. They are more like a shoe rather than a boot. I think I could jog in these boots. I do like them however packing heavier loads they don't feel as solid and supportive as the Danner boots but definitely a great 3-4 day boot as long as the country isn't to rough.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Salomon 4D GTX Cosmics - wore them 14 straight days between 9 and 12.5K feet last year and they performed flawlessly. Less than 3 pounds for the pair. I think it was 45 ounces, but I'd have to check my records to be sure.

I got a pair of those boots, they are awesome, except for one thing...I need a wide and they don't come in wides. The regulars almost fit, but were too narrow through my arch.

The boots look and feel bullet proof, curious to see how they'll hold up long-term.

dihardhunter

Jul 27, 2012
Columbus, OH
www.skinnymoose.com
So far I've been extremely impressed. Got a killer deal on some neon green ones which almost hurt my eyes. Stepped in a few elk wallows and tromped through a few creeks and they are stained up nice now. Not so blinding. Logic says they should outperform most "hunting" boots since the backpacking industry has been on the ball far longer than the hunting industry. The hunting industry gets most of their "cutting edge" improvements second hand from that industry...somebody else's old news in other words.

T43

Stay away from the Mendle light hunters mentioned. I picked up a pair of these. They were poorly built in Viet Nam and just had the Mendle name. I would never pay that much for a boot of that quality. I ended up returning them and picked up some Zamberlan Dakotas a little heavier but 3 times better boot.

Last edited:

Iowahunter

Jul 23, 2012
Waterloo, IA
Guys with the Lowa Tibets...what seasons did you hunt with them? We're planning a muzzleloader hunt this Sept and as bad as my feet sweat, these looked warm. I'm looking at Salewa Alp Trainer Mids. Anyone have any experience with these?

Westmeetseast

Dec 14, 2012
New to the sight

I agree with everyone saying the salomons - great boots, super light and durable, i sometimes also pack in my salomon trail runners and hunt from camp in those if its warm.

I also wear Asolo Fugitives GTX - there much stiffer, but great if you packing in heavey loads, or your hunting an area with a ton of rocks, there super tough! True backpacking boots.

As far as some of the other boots like Danners and UA i guess it depends on your hunting styles, for me those boots will never last. Last pair of danners i had i destroyed on top of a mountian in wyoming in 2 days, thank good for my salomon trailrunners at that point.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Lightweight waterproof hunt boots

Look at KEEN Siskiyou mid... waterproof no insulation.. lightweight and very comfortable.. I have two pair. They come in a black olive/ camo print...

Aug 5, 2012
West & East ND
I love UA gear, but not their footwear. All my football spikes and various other types of footwear seem to work great but open up at the seems not too long into using them. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Looking at the Pronghorn GTX personally

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Anybody had or have Vasque boots? I got to try some wide Wasatch GTXs on this weekend and they actually fit.

They look pretty stout, but curious if anybody has any experience with them.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Ok guys. I have the older pronghorns before they "redesigned" them a few years back. I bought an extra pair when I saw they changed them, but now I am needing a new pair.

Who here remembers the old design, used that boot, and has also worn the new design? Are the new designed boots as well made and still worth the money?

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I just bought a lightweight pair of boots by Wolverine. I like them so far, they have an aggressive tread and about 1 1/2 lbs. ea. I had a pair of Rockys, but wore them out in a couple of years.

cutback

Feb 18, 2013
Oregon
Ok guys. I have the older pronghorns before they "redesigned" them a few years back. I bought an extra pair when I saw they changed them, but now I am needing a new pair.

Who here remembers the old design, used that boot, and has also worn the new design? Are the new designed boots as well made and still worth the money?
I wore out 4 pairs of the older pronghorns. Loved them..... (Still have one pair.) My new "redesigned" style are good but, I preferred the other style. The new style is just a little wider in the last. (good if you have a wider foot) They are also a little longer. I find them a little clumsier and I'm less agile, boulder bounding...... The sole is more aggressive than the previous model and clogs up a little more with mud and such. Again, I still continue to use the new pronghorns but, with my high arches and narrow feet, I preferred the older style. Your milage may vary......

D.Turvey Jr

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Feb 11, 2014
Powell, WY
Have you seen the new Bridger Ridge from Kenetrek? Those looks like they'd be right at home in the early season on just about any mountain.