Lightweight Hunting Boots?

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I need to purchase a pair of light weight hunting boots. I've been wearing a pair of Rocky boots for a few years now, but they are no longer water proof. I prefer something that is uninsulated with a soft sole.

I've been looking at the following boots: Danner Pronghorn GTX, Danner Jackal II GTX, Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker, Hanwag Banks GTX and Hanwag Cheyenne GTX.

Any thoughts or comments about the above boots, or another I haven't listed, is much appreciated.

Brocka

Jan 11, 2012
Enumclaw, Washington
I myself am in the same boat, I'm torn between the Pronghorn & the Under Armour Ridge Reaper. I was impressed with how light the UA boot is. Have you checked that out?

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I myself am in the same boat, I'm torn between the Pronghorn & the Under Armour Ridge Reaper. I was impressed with how light the UA boot is. Have you checked that out?
I have not looked at the Under Armour boot. Guess I'd better add another to the list.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Brocka

Jan 11, 2012
Enumclaw, Washington
I have not looked at the Under Armour boot. Guess I'd better add another to the list.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Hey no problem, So far I am pretty impressed with my other UA gear and I haven't really heard anything bad about the boots yet, I am pretty sure its their first boot so i am guessing there will be a few things that get changed for next years models but so far they look/feel to be a quality product.

FieldNStream

Aug 24, 2011
Michigan
Check out cabelas Ultralight hunting boot by meindl, 800 gram thinsulate available, 3.2 lbs. $220.00 bought a pair last year and I love how comfortable they are.

backstraps

Oct 27, 2011
Some of the above mentioned are not very (light weight).

Try the Lowa Renegade. I've had good luck with those.

I tried on some UA Speed Freaks this weekend they felt good and were true to size, but didn't buy them.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Danner Jackel II for me. Love em. Light weight and they cling to the rocks really well. I think the new Danner Pronghorns will be my next pair of boots but not for the early season. Good luck!

Last edited:

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Danner Pronghorn is by far the best boot I have ever hunted in. As long as they make them, I will be using them.

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'll be heading to Sportsmans Warehouse this weekend, or next, to starting trying some on.

Thanks again!

Graybird

Brocka

Jan 11, 2012
Enumclaw, Washington
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'll be heading to Sportsmans Warehouse this weekend, or next, to starting trying some on.

Thanks again!

Graybird
I walked around Sportmans warehouse today with the UA boot on my left foot and the Danner Pronghorn on my right...I couldn't really tell a difference & ended up going with the Danner because they had a 1 year warranty compared to the UA of 30 days...

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I ended up going with the Danner Pronghorn today.

I just found out I drew a limited entry turkey tag for Colorado that has taken 3 years to draw, so I need some new boots for scouting and they should be ready to go by opening day.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Graybird

size16

Apr 1, 2012
Me and my Brother go hunting, and we used to have the hardest time finding hunting boots. I have wear 16's and he wears 15's. We Get our the Best Hunting Boots at XLfeet.com. I prefert the BOGS, since they are super warm, and waterproof, but if my feet were smaller, I would definitely go with the Magnum Boots.

Most of the Magnum Boots have the patented ion-mask surface technology too. It's awesome, and they have a video of it at the bottom of this page that will amaze you! It enables sweat to escape your boots, while leaving the outside waterproof, and resistant to chemicals. It was designed for military uniforms, and it's perfect for hunting! Since gortex in boots like danner can break down after absorbing blood, we prefer magnum with ion-mask.

Our recommendation would be the Magnum Spider 8.1 HPi - MultiCam

JBudd

Jul 1, 2012
You can't go wrong with the pronghorns but I recently purchased a pair of Under Armours Speed Freaks and I love them. Fit to the foot very well, lightweight, and they have a really good sole.

quicknick

Oct 7, 2011
Atascadero, CA
I have a pair of pronghorns and a pair of Under Armor Valsetz I just picked up. There is really no comparison on weight the Valsetz are far and away much lighter, but they aren't water proof and probably wont last as long.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I know this is an older thread, but I just found out that Belleville now makes hiker-type boots, 6" high, waterproof, etc. I just bought a pair, I'll let you know how they work it.

I've got wide feet (4E in New Balance) and I've had good luck with Belleville. The only other hikers I've been able to find that fit are Merrells, which are great, they're extremely comfortable, but the eyelets are cloth and the last two pairs had eyelets rip out at about the 9-month point.