Lighted Nocks

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Now that Colorado is allowing the use of lighted nocks I'm definitely gonna give 'em a go. What brand are you guys using and are there good and bad aspects?

Thanks in advance

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I have used Nocturnals in the past because they were cheaper than some of the other brands. They worked well, but they were a little hard to shut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Bad aspect...I don't believe an animal can be submitted to Pope and Young. I am not positive of that, but about 18 months ago I saw a post about a world's record ram shot by a gal that was disallowed because of using a lighted nock. The reason it stuck in my head is it seemed so ridiculous at the time.

hoshour

Veteran member
The Pope and Young Club just changed its policy on lighted nocks. Here is the new Fair Chase affidavit:

The term “Fair Chase” shall not include the taking of animals under the following conditions:

Helpless in a trap, deep snow or water, or on ice.
From any power vehicle or power boat.
By “jacklighting” or shining at night.
By the use of any tranquilizers or poisons.
While inside escape-proof fenced enclosures.
By the use of any power vehicle or power boats for herding or driving animals, including use of aircraft to land alongside or to communicate with or direct a hunter on the ground.
By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached with the exception of lighted nocks and recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in rangefinding, sighting or shooting the bow.
Any other condition considered by the Board of Directors as unacceptable.

http://www.pope-young.org/fairchase/default.asp

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
The Pope and Young Club just changed its policy on lighted nocks. Here is the new Fair Chase affidavit:

The term “Fair Chase” shall not include the taking of animals under the following conditions:

Helpless in a trap, deep snow or water, or on ice.
From any power vehicle or power boat.
By “jacklighting” or shining at night.
By the use of any tranquilizers or poisons.
While inside escape-proof fenced enclosures.
By the use of any power vehicle or power boats for herding or driving animals, including use of aircraft to land alongside or to communicate with or direct a hunter on the ground.
By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached with the exception of lighted nocks and recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in rangefinding, sighting or shooting the bow.
Any other condition considered by the Board of Directors as unacceptable.

http://www.pope-young.org/fairchase/default.asp
That is VERY good to hear. I couldn't believe it when I heard the ram was disallowed. Probably had a lot to do with the change.

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Bad aspect...I don't believe an animal can be submitted to Pope and Young. I am not positive of that, but about 18 months ago I saw a post about a world's record ram shot by a gal that was disallowed because of using a lighted nock. The reason it stuck in my head is it seemed so ridiculous at the time.
Eh, not that big of a deal, not trying to sound like I'm gloating but I've taken 2 pope and young bulls and not had either one officially scored or entered. I think the biggest reason is cause I don't want to make the unit/area I hunt public, weird right? Maybe someday if I draw that coveted trophy unit tag.

predator13

Dec 14, 2014
pardeeville, Wi
I have shot the lumenocks with varying results. Seems like some I will be able to shoot several animals with and others will be junk after one shot. In talking with guys at our archery club. All the makers of lighted nocks seem to have the same reputation. That being said I have been thinking of switching to nokturnals.

usmc99

Jan 7, 2015
I used lumenox for the first time this last season. They performed as advertised while practicing and in the field. Shot a deer near dusk and was easily able to track him with the knock lit up. I'll be using them again this year.

hoshour

Veteran member
Eh, not that big of a deal, not trying to sound like I'm gloating but I've taken 2 pope and young bulls and not had either one officially scored or entered. I think the biggest reason is cause I don't want to make the unit/area I hunt public, weird right? Maybe someday if I draw that coveted trophy unit tag.
P&Y locations are by county, not by unit. If it's a good county, which it sounds like it is, it is probably already well represented. And, I don't think too many hunters comb through the P&Y record book since it is not listed online, just in hard copy.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I love lighted nocks and its about time Idaho allows it for hunting. doesn't make finding wild game easier, just makes finding a wounded animal that much faster. I have some lumenox that ill use in late evening, its pretty cool to watch and really helps on letting ya know how your hitting from a distance withouth raising binos every 5 min.

jcharette08

Oct 14, 2012
N.M.
Lumenocs are cheaper, but I prefer nockturnals. Pretty crazy there are states out there that don't allow in something that, in my opinion aides in the successful recovery of game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsonje17

Feb 15, 2015
The main reason that the lighted nocks were considered is because of the changes in the Pope & Young policies allowing entry using lighted nocks.

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
Ive used nockturnals here in SD, switched last year to no lighted nocks for Colorado elk. Will be getting tuned back in with them for turkey season.

COLOelkman

Mar 12, 2011
Lakewood, CO
Do those that shoot lighted nocks use them for practice also or just for hunting? Just curious as I've only bowhunted CO and this will be the first year for me using them also.

predator13

Dec 14, 2014
pardeeville, Wi
I kept an old one that didn't work anymore to practice with. The lumenocks durability wasn't the best at least not in the beginning and at around 10 bucks a piece I wanted to get as many shots at game as possible.

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
Good thread.....I was just getting ready to research these as Oregon is allowing them this year thanks to Pope & Young. So what would everyone try first if they have never shot them?

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Best dbl check your source. Lighted nocks aren't legal.
OHA submitted a position statement supporting them, ODFW put it on the June agenda and it wasn't adopted at the oct rules setting meeting.

Last edited: