Lighted Nock Poll

Which best describes your feelings about lighted nocks?

• They should be allowed in all archery hunts and I will use them even if I can't enter animals.

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Due to the fact that P&Y disqualifies any animal taken with an electronic device I don't use them.

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
This subject came up on an Oregon website as the Oregon Bowhunters are doing a survey to see what bowhunters think about legalizing lighted nocks here where they are currently not legal.

I think the questions should have been worded differently and wanted to try a POLL on here so here goes...

I am sure a lot of you live in states where they are legal. Besides the poll questions do you like them or feel you need them?

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
It caused a HUGE controversy in washington. They are now legal there I believe. I personally wouldnt use them but dont really care either way.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
3rd option, they should be legal, but I would never use one.

dumbest invention ever, or at least on the list, I wish I could think up dumb ideas that would make me millions of dollars.

btw this device does not HELP you take game, it's just an electronic device used while hunting.

btw unless I shot a world record that wasn't allowed, I really could care less about entering an animal in the B&C book. I like to have animals measured and know what they score, and I trophy hunt, but I don't need my name in a book, I am working toward the NA10, and maybe the NA29, I think both of those are a decent accomplishment.

Last edited:

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
It caused a HUGE controversy in washington. They are now legal there I believe. I personally wouldnt use them but dont really care either way.
I really could care less either other than I wouldn't want to not be able to enter an exceptional animal in the Pope and Young Club books. I feel if the archery groups really want them they should address P&Y first then worry about their local game depts....

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
3rd option, they should be legal, but I would never use one.

dumbest invention ever, or at least on the list, I wish I could think up dumb ideas that would make me millions of dollars.
I agree that option should have been on there but it is hard to stay under the 100 characters in the poll. I started with 4 choices and after a while went with 2 short ones.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I agree that option should have been on there but it is hard to stay under the 100 characters in the poll. I started with 4 choices and after a while went with 2 short ones.
gotcha!

there are a lot of bad rules/regs out there that don't make sense, I remember an eastmans hunt where non-residents couldn't use a scope/magnification on a muzzle loader but residents could????? talk about stupid!

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I think they are great tool to see where shot placement is, sometimes I loose my arrow in flight and it would be good to know exactly where the shot was. (not to mention it would be a whole lot easier to find arrows when you miss.) I personally don't use them because they are quite expensive. A lighted knock in no way shape or form is going to give you an advantage in killing an animal. The broadhead and arrow do that.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I think they are great tool to see where shot placement is, sometimes I loose my arrow in flight and it would be good to know exactly where the shot was. (not to mention it would be a whole lot easier to find arrows when you miss.) I personally don't use them because they are quite expensive. A lighted knock in no way shape or form is going to give you an advantage in killing an animal. The broadhead and arrow do that.
The question I have is would you be willing to never enter an animal in P&Y because you were using lighted nocks?

I've never shot one but to me I can't imagine they are that great of a tool but I try and be open minded. I'm not really all that hung up on record books but I do think exceptional animals should have a place to be honored and there needs to be honor associated with any organization that does that. How many people are breaking that rule already due to lighted nocks? Where does it end???

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
I think they have a place for different situations. I can see some hunters in some states it coming in real handy. In CA we usually are not hunting the rut and for some (most actually) kill their deer early or very late in the evening where a lighted nock would come in handy.

I don't use them personally because of the cost, but different hunters hunting different ways I can totally see it helping in the recovery of an animal.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Score doesn't matter to me as much as if I see the animal as a trophy in my own eyes. To me if P&Y is going to get that technical, they should be asking everyone if they used a rangefinder to get the yardage before they shot the animal( electronic device). But that is whole different story.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Here's the difference Ruttin: The P&Y rule is fairly simple to understand even though some may not agree (which is okay).....no electronic devices, of any kind, can be attached to the bow or arrow. Unfortunately, lighted nocks violate that rule. I'm fairly certain the Club doesn't "dislike" lighted nocks....they simply can't accept entries when they are used. It doesn't take anything away from the trophy.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
Here's the difference Ruttin: The P&Y rule is fairly simple to understand even though some may not agree (which is okay).....no electronic devices, of any kind, can be attached to the bow or arrow. Unfortunately, lighted nocks violate that rule. I'm fairly certain the Club doesn't "dislike" lighted nocks....they simply can't accept entries when they are used. It doesn't take anything away from the trophy.
I guess that is really the issue. It's not about a lighted nock so much as about allowing electronic devices on the bow or arrow which in itself a big step and could certainly lead to negative repercussions.

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
I'm all for them, but still haven't spent the money to use them.

You can use them here in Montana is a "short range weapon" only season (or unit). Might be worth it not to lose a $18 arrow.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Thanks for clearing that up BOHNTR, I have never really looked that close at the rules.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
btw unless I shot a world record that wasn't allowed, I really could care less about entering an animal in the B&C book. I like to have animals measured and know what they score, and I trophy hunt, but I don't need my name in a book, I am working toward the NA10, and maybe the NA29, I think both of those are a decent accomplishment.
B&C wouldn't be an issue it's just P&Y. Your mention of killing a world record is what concerns me the most. A lot of people head out hunting intent to kill the first cow they see so they throw on a Luminock and walk around the corner and there is the "potential" new World Record bull! High noon and the nock assisted in no way but the bull can't be honored by P&Y. Doesn't seem worth it to me...

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Too bad they can't put an * next to the entered animal and state that it was taken with a lighted nock. At least it would still honor the animal taken.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
Too bad they can't put an * next to the entered animal and state that it was taken with a lighted nock. At least it would still honor the animal taken.
I would hope that would become an option if more states start legalizing lighted nocks. That is already the case if your shooting a bow with more than a 65% let off and I have no problem with that.

If they start to accept crossbow kills in P&Y I won't bother to enter another animal though. There is a line there somewhere we just need to decide where it is....

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Crossbow animals will never be allowed in P&Y. The asterisk next to lighted nocks will probably never be utilized either since they are electronic devices attached to an arrow. This discussion comes up every few months and lengthy discussions are held with those of us on the records committee. Who knows, maybe someday they may be allowed.....but I doubt it, as the Club doesn't want to create a long list of "allowed devices versus not allowed devices" for measurers to decipher as technology advances and more "gadgets" are created.

The asterisk depicting bows with greater than 65% let-off has been dropped and is no longer in effect.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
That works for me BOHNTR. Thanks for the info! I have an email into the P&Y Club asking about the very subject. At this point I am going to do what I can to lobby our state to not legalize lighted nocks or anything else that undermines the P&Y Club. We have plenty of division within our ranks as it is and for the life of me I can't see where a glowing nock is going to help me be a better hunter.

dcestnik

Aug 31, 2011
Do lighted nocks give the hunter the advantage in any fashion? Possibly in recovery but beyond that they are a cool curio. I cant come up with a reason to not allow hunters to use them but at the same time I can understand P&Y and states not wanting to create a slippery slope of gadgetry. Don't use them and never plan on replacing my arrow wraps it but cant hate on anyone who does. Crossbows are another story...