light weight tents

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
I am very happy with my copper spur. As far as a 3 season tent I think it has been great. I have been in some flat out down pours with 40 mph winds and it held up fine. I'm not sure how it would do with multiple days in this weather but for my use its a great setup for archery season to early rifle. I use a ul4 for 2 guys. It gives us plenty of room to for gear and sleeping.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Sounds like you like your BA! I've used an abused my Lowa Tibets for years. I hope they work for you as well as they've worked for me!
Not to high jack the thread but so far so good with the Lowa's jimss. I will have to wait till next season to chase big game with them but I have been chasing Chukars in the steep stuff and rocks and they work fantastic!!

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
I am very happy with my copper spur. As far as a 3 season tent I think it has been great. I have been in some flat out down pours with 40 mph winds and it held up fine. I'm not sure how it would do with multiple days in this weather but for my use its a great setup for archery season to early rifle. I use a ul4 for 2 guys. It gives us plenty of room to for gear and sleeping.
Dang Grantbvfd I bet you got plenty of room in the ul4 for two guys! Do you hear and echo? :D :D

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
The weight penalty was justifiable in my opinion. I don't like being cramped and with the rain storms we get room for gear inside the tent is a necessity. I got it mainly for family trips because my wife still won't stay in a floor less shelter.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I really like the two vestibules and two side entries in my BA copper spur ul2. Great for one person and all your gear.

Last edited:

dead river

Mar 20, 2011
NC
If weight is the main factor, i would go free standing, single wall like mountain hardwear direkt (just over 2 lbs). If you want relatively light and vestibule, then go single wall 4 seasons something like Sierra Designs Convert 2. My brother has one and it the easy to pitch in a rain or wind. Sierra designs is under rated. I have had a few of them and if they are tough to beat for bang for your buck.

for 3 season tent with option of fast pitch the Big Agnes seedhouse. been wanting one for spring and summer and have yet to pull the trigger.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Anyone know anything about the Kelty TN2? It isn't super lightweight, but at just over 4 pounds isn't terrible either. Has a lot of similarities to the copper spur with two entrances, but I'm no tent expert. Its also 150 cheaper

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
I have the copper spur 3, perfect size for 2 hunters, under 4lbs. I also made my own footprint from tyvek. A hint with tyvek, wash it 1st in cold water, air dry it, and krinkle it all up a few time. then fold it up. this will make it super quiet.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
Anyone know anything about the Kelty TN2? It isn't super lightweight, but at just over 4 pounds isn't terrible either. Has a lot of similarities to the copper spur with two entrances, but I'm no tent expert. Its also 150 cheaper
Kelty would not be my 1st,2nd, 3rd,4th or 5th choice....

Hilleberg my next tent
Ran a Garuda Jena for a long time ... Awesome tent
But it taught me about tent size. A 2 man tent is really
A solo tent with room for gear. 3 man better for 2 people. Unless Jennifer Aniston is the 2nd man then a bivy works...

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'd check out Appy trails, they make a heck of a tent, and there 5 man is less than 2 pounds, 3 man is just about a pound.

Fatrascal

Apr 5, 2013
Spring Creek, Nevada
I've been using the Hilleberg Atko for several years. Very good tent with lots of room and weighs 3.5 pounds. This year I changed it up and went with the Kuiu 1 man tent which weighs 17 ounces or 1.1 pound. Great weight savings and performed very well through September during my muzzleloader hunt. My pack did not fit entirely in the vestibule so you might want a garbage bag to keep your pack dry. I'm 5'9" tall so this tent was great for me. A bigger guy might need a bigger tent. fatrascal.

marshmstr

Nov 27, 2014
Port Allen, LA
I've been using a Black Diamond Hilight, if your looking for a very light 4 season (technically 2 person) tent, its pretty nice. But, if your over 6' look else where.

laxwyo

Very Active Member
I've basically been convinced by Scott and others to go floorless. I'll probably pull the trigger on Seek Outside BCS2 tipi.

I've been using a BA one man for years that's worked well but laying down for 3 days while it snowed and rained in a REI two man tent with my brother changed my mind

7stwluver

Mar 27, 2014
Piedmont america
Check out jimmiys tarps. No website only a Facebook page and on eBay. Awesome products. Recently came out with a new model. Two man shelter with a stove jack already installed. I really like floor less models. If I'm running a traditional tent big Agnes copper spur is my favorite.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.