Leupold CDS suggestions

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
I recently installed a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14X40 CDS on my 300 RUM which I plan to use on a future elk hunt in Wyoming (possibly next year). My partner and I have 19 combined PP's and are considering about LE units 38 or 39. Before I order the 1 free CDS dial, what elevation and temperature designations (suggestions) should I consider for ordering this CDS dial? Only really plan on using this rifle in Wyoming or Idaho since there is really not much big game hunting here in Ca. Thx TD

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
I recently installed a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14X40 CDS on my 300 RUM which I plan to use on a future elk hunt in Wyoming (possibly next year). My partner and I have 19 combined PP's and are considering about LE units 38 or 39. Before I order the 1 free CDS dial, what elevation and temperature designations (suggestions) should I consider for ordering this CDS dial? Only really plan on using this rifle in Wyoming or Idaho since there is really not much big game hunting here in Ca. Thx TD
Considering public access and success, that' s what I have come up with so far. Still plenty of time to figure it out. My question is what elevation and temperature settings should I consider for ordering this CDS dial. Thx TD

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
There are a ton of variables for the cds dial. In 39 I'd go with 7500' and 40°. The big horns are steep and the elevation you are hunting can very a 2000' temps can be 50° one day and 15° the next.

I'd look at kenton industries. They make a custom sticker that goes on your turret so you can change it without having to order a new custom turret.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Wyoming averages points on a group application so they need a unit that takes 9 points.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have the CDS Turrets on all my rifles. In my opinion, if you are shooting 500 yards or less, you are not going to really see much difference. At extreme ranges , I don't know because I don't shoot beyond 500 yds.

Reactions: sneakypete

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
I chose 39&39 based on the Wyoming Hunt Planner. Now that i have done further research thru the MRS I am definitely going to change that selection. Thx for all the replies.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I have the CDS Turrets on all my rifles. In my opinion, if you are shooting 500 yards or less, you are not going to really see much difference. At extreme ranges , I don't know because I don't shoot beyond 500 yds.
CC is 100% spot on. I’d even consider bigger picture and not just this coming year. I’d set it to your typical hunting condition and then make adjustments to your specific hunting trip.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'd look at kenton industries. They make a custom sticker that goes on your turret so you can change it without having to order a new custom turret.

Plus, if your cheap like me they will make a turret for a VX-2 "Coin Style" that works very well.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I keep mine MOA. I rarely shoot past 400 yards, so I don't need to dial often. When I do, I use Strelok Pro app set to my current location and weather conditions, and then dial dope based on that. For me, it's a lot easier than having to worry about carrying several CDS rings for different loads and different locations and weather conditions.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
I am not using this rifle/scope combo here in Ca. I use my 30-06 w/VX3 scope here. I was planning on using it for Elk out of state at higher elevations where i might need to shoot out to 400 yards or so if the the opportunity presents itself. Who makes a turret for a "Coin style " for a VX scope? CC are you just using a ballistics cheat sheet taped to your stock? I like the Wind Plex reticle also.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
No. I sent all the ballistic data of the load I am going to shoot(all the stuff Leupold asks for) and they make their turret with the yardage adjustments tailored to that particular load. When I turn the knob to 375, it compensates for bullet drop and lets you hold dead on, no guessing for windage. All of mine work great, I have 5 different rifles of different calibers with Leupold scopes on them (.220 Ackley Swift, 25-06, 257 Wby, 30-06 & .300 Wby)

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Kenton industries. I Believe they are out of California. I love mine. First time I used it I was sub-moa at 400 yards just to the right of the bullseye. Good enough for me!

Leopold will not make a cds dial for my vx2 scope. Its 20 years old and in Silver finish.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Kenton industries. I Believe they are out of California. I love mine. First time I used it I was sub-moa at 400 yards just to the right of the bullseye. Good enough for me!

Leopold will not make a cds dial for my vx2 scope. Its 20 years old and in Silver finish.
You are correct, Leupold only makes the cds for certain of it's scope lines. Mine are all VXIII's.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
On Leupold making dials for scopes, even with VXIII's if it didn't come from the factory with one you need to have it retrofitted for a CDS dial.

The cost a couple years ago was $80 I believe and then you had to pay for the dial. I had a VXIII 4.5-14x40 that I asked about and found out the prices. It was cheaper to sell the scope and purchase one that was ready for a dial.

For the OP, sight your rifle in at 250 or even 300 yards. Then even shots out to 400 yards with a little high hold will hit the animal that you are shooting at, no worry to range him and then fiddle around with a dial as the buck or bull of a lifetime walks into the timber never to be seen again.

Save the CDS dial for antelope hunts where you have a hour to play around with it.