Let's see your 2012 Turkeys

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Cool birds guys, gonna go tomorrow, but its suppose to rain all day :mad:. Anybody ever hunt turkeys in the rain? Will I be spinning my wheels and wasting gas...or will the birds gobble and strut in the rain, any help would be appreciated.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Cool birds guys, gonna go tomorrow, but its suppose to rain all day :mad:. Anybody ever hunt turkeys in the rain? Will I be spinning my wheels and wasting gas...or will the birds gobble and strut in the rain, any help would be appreciated.
They may not be very vocal, but they should still come to calling! If you know there are birds around, stay ready even if you dont hear em gobbling. The rain shouldn't screw your hunt too bad, but when it's real windy... best stay home.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Yea, its suppose to be windy too (20-30 mph winds), So we decided to wait the storm out...thanks for the info BSA.
Hey bigshot, I took your advice and also waited out the storm...................IN MY GROUND BLIND !!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's number two, "Raged" him at 14 yards. His run'n partner got real brave after he went down.

084.jpg073.jpg077.jpg078.jpg

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Cool beans, I knew I should have gone out.....:)
Hunting in the rain can be some of the best turkey hunting IMO. The hens are usually really quiet, but the toms are still out looking. The biggest problem I have found in the rain is that the toms will come in silent most of the time. It can be frustrating not hearing them gobble but well worth the wait. Just find a strut zone and set up the blind. The thing I like the most about hunting in the rain is that there never seems to be anyone else out in the field. Except packer58 apparently. ;)

Nice birds guys. Keep em coming!

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
The thing I like the most about hunting in the rain is that there never seems to be anyone else out in the field. Except packer58 apparently. ;)

That's funny..........Ya, i'm the guy your hunt'n buddys warned you about. :eek:

goindeep

May 9, 2011

Finished a little early this year, decided not to break out the bow and just get it done. 3 public land birds in the bag.

IMG_1469.jpg

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Traveled up to Northern California to chase some thunderbirds with some buddies. I ended up arrowing a bird Saturday and another on Sunday. Both had 9" beards and 1" spurs. It was good times for sure.

Saturday bird:
Turkey #1.jpg

Sunday bird:
Turkey #2.jpg

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Here in Oregon, turkey season opened yesterday (April 15). Saturday, while I was doing yard work I could hear several toms gobbling about 300 yards away. Within the next couple weeks they will probably be in our yard looking for hens. Last year my wife and I got our birds just below the house. I should go out soon.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I love hunting in the wind and rain! The birds will always get out of the timber and into the fields, since they can't hear/see very well in the woods when it's raining. Find yourself a nice short green field, and wait them out.
The only bad part about hunting in the rain is that a wet tom doesn't look very good for the pictures.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Finished up my spring season with a good one, heavy 10" beard and 1 1/8 spurs, was able to get several pics of his buddy after the shot.

Congrats to everyone on thier turkey success.............

4-16-2012 (12).jpg4-16-2012 (7).jpg4-16-2012 (26).jpg4-16-2012 (31).jpg4-16-2012 (48).jpg

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Well went out for the last time yesterday and got skunked again!! Our turkey season closes this Sunday and with my days off being on Mon, Tues, Wed, guess that means I'm done for the year. Had a good time once again though, but on the bright side its now time to get serious about pig hunting. :)