Let's see something old

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
My Grandfather lived in Pa but made a trip to hunt out west in the 60s. Here he is with the buck he got. He said they brought camp in on horseback and were somewhere up in the Hoback area in Wyoming.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Those are some killer photos!

This is really turning out to me one of my favorite threads.

We need to get Mike to post up a few of Gordon.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
This is a pic of my Dad shortly after he followed my Mom and her family to OR. He was from OK, but had met my Mom in AZ while working loading train cars and trucks with produce (mostly lettuce) as a migrant worker. This photo was taken in the 50's at the home property we still own in OR. Dad and Grandpa cleared the property for farming.
This is a big old blacktail that was taken near the same area I killed a big non-typical blacktail a few years back.
I might post this in the favorite pic thread also. Besides pics of my kids with their animals, this is probably one of my all time favorite hunting pics. My sister still has his 30.30 model 94 Winchester that is in the pic also.

1950%27s Blacktail (Jack Edwards).jpg

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
This is a pic of my Dad shortly after he followed my Mom and her family to OR. He was from OK, but had met my Mom in AZ while working loading train cars and trucks with produce (mostly lettuce) as a migrant worker. This photo was taken in the 50's at the home property we still own in OR. Dad and Grandpa cleared the property for farming.
This is a big old blacktail that was taken near the same area I killed a big non-typical blacktail a few years back.
I might post this in the favorite pic thread also. Besides pics of my kids with their animals, this is probably one of my all time favorite hunting pics. My sister still has his 30.30 model 94 Winchester that is in the pic also.

View attachment 20430
That is a cool story and a awesome photo.

BHunt98

Sep 23, 2017
Boise, Idaho
1974.....I was 10 years old at the time. I still remember my dad going to the local gun shop in Riverside California and buying a Winchester Model 70 in .243. We would often go shooting out in "Pigeon Pass" near where we lived and I got to shoot the new rifle a few times which I thought was pretty cool.

That fall my dad had booked a hunt in the Wrangel Mountains in Alaska with Doug Vaden. My dad would be hunting moose, Dall sheep for my oldest brother (15 years older than I), and caribou for my brother in law. I was along as my dad's moose hunting sidekick. I had fun in base camp exploring, throwing road apples at the girl my age in camp, finding moose sheds, fishing for grayling and listening to stories around the dinner table. I still remember the outfitter telling us how when he first discovered the lodge building it was full of hair from hibernating grizzlies.

One afternoon we went for a horseback ride along the White River. After we had turned back towards camp we came across a lone caribou bull. My brother-in-law was asked if he wanted to take him and he decided to wait (later he killed a B&C bull!). My dad then asked me if I wanted to shoot it. Up to that point I had absolutely NO idea I was hunting. I took a "rest" prone over my dad and with his breathing the crosshairs were all over the place. A couple shots later I had my first big game animal ever. I later learned the outfitter had told my dad he enjoyed having kids along on the hunts and if my dad bought me a tag, the he would let me take a caribou for free. That was my first an only big game animal until I moved to Oregon at 18 years of age.

My dad cultivated my love for hunting and fishing. I've since lost my dad and mom in an auto accident in 1999. But I know that one day we will see each other again.

Wow! What a great Story, I was so glad I came across this. Like you, I share hunting as a passion with my fathe and I would never trade him nor our shared passion for anything else. Thank you for your story

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Couldn't sleep, so I am reading some of these posts again and something is there that just jumped out at me. Notice how many great bucks came out of California 50 or so years ago. All of my biggest bucks came from Calif in the 50's and 60's. Used to have some great deer hunting, sad that today it has declined so much. Too many Lions and people I guess, but I still have pictures and memories!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
It sure is a shame about Ca. The country is beautiful and should have so much more animals other then predators. Reminds me of Idaho a lot. The otc units we used to hunt is some of the most amazing country I’ve ever hunted and it’s like crickets. No deer, elk, just nothing.

Alberta Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for all the stories from old pic's of days gone buy, here are a few bird hunting pic's I was given years ago, don't know the people in the pictures, but as you can see long ago

Bird huntin 2.jpgbird hunting 1.jpgBird hunting 4.jpgbird huntin 5.jpgBird hunting 6.jpg

Alberta Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Also here is a few of a elk hunt in 1954 in Alberta, the person in the picture is C.T Blackwell who passed away in 2007, and the family gave me the antlers of the elk to get them redone, they are now on my wall for all the people that pass through here to see. not sure on the score but it huge.

Elk hunt 1954 alberta .jpgElk hunt Alnerta 1954-1.jpgElk from 1954 redone in 2016 .jpg

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Not hunting related but my dads truck is 60 years old now, it?s an original 4WD 1958 Chevy Apache. He?s had it for 47 years and done everything with it from daily driving, racing, hunting, he even used to pull his backhoe around town with it. It?s had lots of different engines over the years: LS6 454, 396, 350, 427 and now a blown 509 Big block. Here is a pic of it in the early 2000?s at the track with the blower engine. That engine is back in it now and is around 1000 HP. FAA799D6-4643-475C-888A-2979BB954EBA.jpg

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
That is pretty cool. 1000 hp seems unreal. Grandparents bought a pair of new 58 cameos they still have and running mostly but not like that.

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
PICT0287 (1) (1) - Edited.jpg
dad fishing yellowstone river inside the park 1933 or 34 after he got out of the navy
only have a few hunting photos, theyre from 1890s but back east, tin types are little from west back then, hard to see who is in them.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
The remains of an old car or truck I found way back in the mountains of NV. I'll never know how the got it so far back in there. I also found the remains of a shovel so maybe they were never able to get it out if they got stuck.