Late Season bull

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Well, we got it done on a decent public land bull last Thursday. I say that because I decide to "settle" with this guy and some things weren't going our way and decided to take the opportunity.

Opening day we saw 29 bulls and I missed a 360" bull I had watched for 3 years. Heartbreaking to say the least. The next day, I got on a group in the deep timber as the wind was perfect we snuck in close. We saw a bull feeding at 60 yards and I only had one shooting lane and the first bull fed thru it. The next bull I saw had great tine length and was a 6 pt, which I would be happy with. He snuck thru a 2 ft opening and put one in the boiler room at 70 yards. He crashed not long after, but the best (worst) part was just getting started.

After the shot and ensuing crash. Bulls came out of everywhere. 6 bulls came thru at less than 100 yards, not knowing what was happening and stood for 5-10 min. I had a no less than 370" bull, 7x7 with nearly 60" mains I hadn't seen for a few years, and he had blown up. Two others were heavy main frame 6's that were over 340. It was unfortunate but I am plenty happy with this bull with his unique character and heavily scarred body. He was a fighter.

My one piece of advice before people ask where I shot this, this can happen in any unit in CO. Put your time in to know where the bulls are all times of the year. Know where they sleep, eat, mate, poop, piss, drop their head gear and you will kill big bulls. Don't rely on luck or high point units.

CODAK

elk1.jpg

youngbuck2

Nov 4, 2016
Minnesota
Awesome Bull! Congrats! Sounds like you have it figured out, the "bigger" one will find you! I would "settle" for that bull every day! Congrats again!

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
What CODAK said should be a sticky that never leaves the head of the forum.....
"Put your time in to know where the (insert species) are all times of the year. Know where they sleep, eat, mate, poop, piss, drop their head gear and you will kill big bulls. Don't rely on luck or high point units." AMEN

Great bull congrats buddy

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Congrats!

'CB hit the nail on the head; as you both point out, dedication and boots on the ground knowledge will go a long ways to punching a tag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk