Last minute tips?

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
Any last minute tips for Wyoming antelope? Hunting 90-2, ended up deciding to go north of Farson. Seeing lots of antelope, lots of bucks. Haven't seen anything with too much size though. Biggest I saw was maybe 14", maybe and out of the 30 bucks I saw I would saw the digger length could use some help.

And man are these things wild. First sight of rig and they are a mile away and running. Saw one buck dead with horns cut off and I don't think there have been any seasons in this area yet.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Archery season has been open for a month...but just get ready for lots of hunters on the opener, and yes, the goats will be dang wild and are going to be doing a lot of running the next few days in all units. ..I'll be elk hunting this weekend instead and waiting for the later part of the season and the migration looking for a big buck in a neighboring unit...good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
antelope are sort of a dumb animal. I have noticed if you spook em ,they will often return to the same spot within a few hours. so it might pay to just lay in wait an ambush em when they return. takes lots of patience but it works. especially when there's lots of hunters pushing them from here to there an back to here.

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
They are pretty curious too. If they spot me during a stalk and im by myself i like to sit down and wait 5 to 10 min. Take my hat off wave it in the air and set it on the ground and usually they will come closer. If somebody is with me during a busted stalk i have them crawl 50 to 75 yards towards the truck then stand up and walk towards the truck while i finish the stalk. That works really well for me!

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
Thanks everyone. Ended up punching my tag this morning. Not a giant but not bad either for my first trip to an unknown area. I learned a lot from the hunt and from advice on here that I will definitely use on my next trip. Thanks for the help everyone. I will post a pic when I get them on my computer.

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
Had my first antelope hunt this year and it was in area 61. I expected to see a lot of people opening day but I only ran into 2 other vehicles of people out hunting the entire day. Tons of area to cover in 61 and I filled my tag in early afternoon.

nunt'nbutmuleys

Feb 25, 2011
Congrats. To the success you fellas had. Hope to see some pics!! And Zpooch thanks for taking my tag lol!!! Congrats men.

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
image.jpg

I shot this buck at about 10:30am opening morning. He came into a waterhole I was at. Passed up a buck I stalking in on but I just wasn't sure. After driving and glassing all day Friday I didn't see any real giants, just some basic low 70" bucks. I was solo from Oregon so I didn't have that person telling me to pass and wait so I shot this one, which was pretty representative of the bucks I saw the day before. I had a blast and will definitely be coming back in the future, I learned a few thing and saw some new country.

Btw, are the coyotes out here just plain stupid? I saw 4, none of them ran from me and one actually ran up to my pickup to about 30 yards. I out a .40 caliber round right above his head and he just stood there, then I missed again and he just trotted off.