Kodiak Canvas 8-Person

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Hey Mallards, how much was the tent on sale? I'm looking to upgrade before fall 2023, so I'm in no rush and I can wait for a sale. What made you select this brand? Any others you were looking at?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
It was $650 on sale.

This is the “delux model.

I have been eyeballing these tents since they hit the market years ago. Never liked a wall tent. We used one back in 02 and I just didn’t care for it. It was too big, leaked, and it was SUPER heavy. This one is heavy but small enough that you could toss it on the back of a 4 wheeler or side by side.
We slmost went with the 10x10 but I’m super glad that we went with the 10x14.
I took it down and packed it ip today. Took me 15 minutes by myself. Hardest part was getting the stakes out of the ground. I welded up a “stake puller” with a nice handle this evening

Reactions: Alabama

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I/We had to do something. Back on a 2019 Colorado elk hunt my wife woke up to 2” of water in our tent ( that I assured her was a great tent that was waterproof) and I assure you that she wasn’t impressed. Lol good times.
I didn’t tell her that I had bought that tent in 2000 and was too cheap to buy a new one. Lol

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
It was $650 on sale.

This is the “delux model.

I have been eyeballing these tents since they hit the market years ago. Never liked a wall tent. We used one back in 02 and I just didn’t care for it. It was too big, leaked, and it was SUPER heavy. This one is heavy but small enough that you could toss it on the back of a 4 wheeler or side by side.
We slmost went with the 10x10 but I’m super glad that we went with the 10x14.
I took it down and packed it ip today. Took me 15 minutes by myself. Hardest part was getting the stakes out of the ground. I welded up a “stake puller” with a nice handle this evening
I agree about the wall tents being heavy. I'm like you in this regard, I'd rather have a tent like this over a wall tent. At 79 lbs. it's not light but it looks like it packs down small. That makes it a lot easier to transport for guys like us that travel so far to hunt. If it held up to a thunderstorm in the southeast without leaking then it's well made.

It looks like it will hold up for years if you take care of it. Let me know how it works out this fall. You and LCH may have made a sale for Kodiak without even trying lol. I was going to start researching for a new basecamp tent and from the comments so far, this tent is just what I am looking for.

Reactions: LCH

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
It’s heavy but very manageable since the poles are in their own bag with the stakes.

That makes it manageable.

Just guessing:

50lb-tent bag
30lb -pole/stake bag.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
If you have the time they poo up on Craigslist fairly often, and a lot of times you can find one of the old canvas cabin tents for a cook dining tent too.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
When I was looking at tents for hunting out west I was trying to choose between a springbar (which looks similar to the kodiak) and a alaknak from cabelas. They had a a really good sale on the alaknak so went with that. I wanted a tent I could put together by myself if need be. My only complaint is that its a real pain in the butt to put up by yourself. I think the fastest I was able to put it up with the vestibule attachment was 1.5 hours. The 10 minute setup really looks appealing now.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
We used this last year in Montana, super easy to setup and just awesome! We ran a big buddy heater all night, but had a window open a bit for air. Left the tank outside, seems the canvas doesn't condensate like the regular tents. I suppose they breathe more.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I was looking at old tent threads and came across this one. How did the kodiaks perform during last years hunting season?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Mine was awesome. We ran a small heater buddy in there (with a line running to a 20-pound tank on the outside) on low all night and I was toasty warm. I left the vents open on the inside of the tent for cross ventilation and peace of mind. But if you closed those vents, it would likely get too hot with the heater buddy on low even on a 30-degree night.

Plenty of space for 2 cots, gear and a folding table. For 2 people I would not want a smaller one and honestly, I don't think we really needed a bigger one. This one literally was just about perfect. I set it up by myself the other day in the yard to check things out since I didn't clean it out when I got home from our last hunt. It took me exactly 10 minutes to set it up by myself.

Personally, I liked the enclosed trailer for Colorado, but the fuel mileage crushes me pulling that thing. I go from 20-22MPG to 12-14MPG and that's a big difference in fuel costs when you're filling up with diesel. This bridged that gap and in a couple trips it will have paid for itself.

It was a great purchase.

I will be using this on a couple of the GA deer hunts this year. It should work great for that.

Reactions: buckbull

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I picked up one of the 10x10 used/looks new for $300 the other day. I hunt solo a lot and my old cabelas AK dome tent is about worn out finally after 20 years or so. I'm excited to try this out!