Kodiak Canvas 8-Person

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have a good ultralight tent but never had anything to use as a good "basecamp" tent. With the price of fuel, dragging the enclosed trailer across the country really isn't an option this year. So I finally pulled the trigger and got me a good tent. I had a bunch of old cabelas gift cards, points and it was on sale.

-All in all, very easy to set up and waterproof (Ran the sprinkler on it for an hour as recommended by the manufacturer ).
-With 2 people this thing can easily be set up in 10 minutes.
-Very simple design.
-Lots of room.
-Nice floor
-Great zippers
-Great vent design
-Good storage inside

I am however not too fond of the awning.....I need to get me a center pole for that thing for sure. It collects water and is pretty low. But I have a fix for that I think.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I don't normally even use the awning on mine, I roll it up or if not too windy just leave it hanging. I don't spend a lot of time sitting outside of mine anyway, usually leave before daylight and back after dark.

It does have a good floor, but I put a tarp under mine, and another tarp inside as a floor covering to protect both sides from rocks, sticks, cot legs, etc.

Reactions: gonhunting247

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Good idea on the 2 tarps for sure.

I had heard that if you leave the awning rolled up that some people have experienced leaks coming into their tent from that location as it will pond water. You had any experiences of this?

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
No, I haven't had that problem, have camped in some major downpours also. I do unroll it and let it air dry if there's been any moisture prior to packing it up, just to prevent mildew.

Reactions: mallardsx2

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
I spent thirty days in mine year for last, mine came with a tarp for underneath and we use moving blankets for the inside. Never used my awning, we use a couple ez ups with screw in anchors.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Its got to be at least 75 pounds. Not something you would want to pack very far. Maybe a couple hundred yards at the most.
I unzipped it yesterday evening once the rain has passed and it was completely dry in there.

Sleepingbear, How does that Mr. Heater buddy work in the tent? We have one and I was considering using it this year.

Reactions: LCH

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Its got to be at least 75 pounds. Not something you would want to pack very far. Maybe a couple hundred yards at the most.
I unzipped it yesterday evening once the rain has passed and it was completely dry in there.

Sleepingbear, How does that Mr. Heater buddy work in the tent? We have one and I was considering using it this year.
I got an older canvas Sears Hillary thats very similar to yours. Used the buddy heater and it worked well 3 seasons. I modified it last year and put in a stove jack for the wood stove to make it nice chasing moose last year in the snow storms and sub teens weather.Worked great. No sleeping bag needed !

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I pulled my heater buddy out of storage yesterday and the pilot light would barely stay lit......when I bypassed that and just hit the thermocoupler until gas flowed with the gas turned on low to the main burner the main burner stayed lit with no problem....

Gonna have to get it on the work bench and tear things apart and see what is going on with that pilot. Then I'm gonna check my 20 pound tank line to make sure Its working because the last time I hooked it up it didn't seem to be working either...

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City

I was on a hunt last year with lows in the low teens and we where comfortable. Its capable of running you out of the tent when its on Hi we left it on low on the coldest nights and turned it up to get dressed.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I pulled my heater buddy out of storage yesterday and the pilot light would barely stay lit......when I bypassed that and just hit the thermocoupler until gas flowed with the gas turned on low to the main burner the main burner stayed lit with no problem....

Gonna have to get it on the work bench and tear things apart and see what is going on with that pilot. Then I'm gonna check my 20 pound tank line to make sure Its working because the last time I hooked it up it didn't seem to be working either...
Before you tear the heater apart, saturate a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and swab the pilot tube. You may have to tear a little cotton off the head of the q-tip to get it down into the hole, but then you can go almost the length of the q-tip.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I got an older canvas Sears Hillary thats very similar to yours. Used the buddy heater and it worked well 3 seasons. I modified it last year and put in a stove jack for the wood stove to make it nice chasing moose last year in the snow storms and sub teens weather.Worked great. No sleeping bag needed !
I've got the same sears tent gotta be 60 years old or better, still grab it when only 2 of us are going on a trip. Fits 2 Cabela's guide cots and a table between, I also run a big buddy heater and have to keep it on low or it will run you out. We use bedrolls so even without the heater it sleeps great.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Is that the 6 or 8 person tent? Also, it looks like you can buy a vestibule for it as well but doesn't look like it would fix your drainage concern.

Edit - I see in the title its an 8 person.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Do you guys run the buddy heaters all night? I've always used them before going to sleep then again in the morning while getting dressed but I've never used them all night. Am I over-thinking the carbon monoxide poisoning risk?

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Do you guys run the buddy heaters all night? I've always used them before going to sleep then again in the morning while getting dressed but I've never used them all night. Am I over-thinking the carbon monoxide poisoning risk?
I always thought it was a condensation issue running propane heat in a tent; even if vented.