Kids

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
So I've got a buddy who is extremely against having kids and while my wife and I definitely want them, it has made me wonder about them a bit more. He talks about how much less he would be able to hunt for the first few years which which he is probably right about, but I still think that having kids would be great and completely worth it. So since this is a pretty dedicated bunch of hunters here, do kids reduce the amount that you can hunt? Even with that though, I would assume that everyone on here who has children is glad that they have them and wouldn't change a thing??? I also think it would be awesome once they get old enough to hunt themselves to be able to go out with them.

bern0134

Feb 22, 2011
Sandia Pueblo, NM
I still consider myself a new parent, since my daughter is only 15 months old. But like you said, I wouldn't have it any other way. I didn't get to hunt this year not because of having a little one but on account of other things like school. I know I'm one of those father's who can't wait to be able to take my kids out in the woods when they're old enough. I know that's what got me loving the outdoors so much was when my dad started taking me out at a young age. Just my 2 cents.

Bubba19

Feb 22, 2011
I have 2 kids (17 months and a 4 yr old). I use to hunt everything that moved now I only hunt deer, elk and sometime pigs. I gave everything else up so I can help around the house during the rest of the year. My wife respects my passion for hunting but doesn't fully understand it to my extreme. I don't expect my wife to do it all so I can go hunting. So I compromise, I'll gave up some of the critters to hunt a few critters. I would not give up not having children so I can hunt. I can't wait till my kids start hunting. I take them hunting with me every chance I get. But I also find the time and plan things with my wife so I can go on my own trips without the kids.This is when I really hunt hard and make the most out of every trip.

But to awnser your question does having kids keep you from hunting more? Yes and No... It all depends on the relationship you have with your wife or girlfriend. Are you willing to compromise! Every year i try and plan a few trips that have nothing to do with hunting. The trips that my wife wants to do. Then that gives me the go ahead to go hunting. This year I hunted 25 days and I took my boy with me for a couple of those days. There is nothing more gratifying and challenging than raising kids. I would'nt take that back for anything. Hope this helps.....

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Kids - Best thing that ever happened to me!!!

I have 2 kids a 9 year old girl, and a 5 year old boy. My kids both love the outdoors. Sure it does cut into hunting time. I was out hunting Antelope 2 years ago when my son was 3. We were heading out to a small parcel of BLM land I like to hunt and we see this little dink Antelope and my son says " There's one dad shoot it" I explained to him that it wasn't big enough and he just looked at me and said " Dad, just shoot it". I love telling that story. My kids always go out hunting with me for Antelope and if my wife has to work they come with me for Deer and Elk. You have to hunt different with the kids, it's hard to get close to animals when you have a 5 year old asking as loud as he can if he can keep his stick he found, or keeps asking where is the water, i want to throw rocks in it. The last couple of years I have taken a week off for Elk season, and I really miss them Monday thru Friday when they are in school.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I wrecked alot on my bicycle when I was young but still managed to have three kids. I never even considered the debate between having children and the opportunity to hunt more. If that is your argument then by all means do not have kids. Building a family is suppose to be hard. Have kids and find some time to hunt. It will all work out.

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Children are a blessing from Heaven! I have 4, the girls are the oldest 11 & 8. Followed by the boys 6 & 3, yes you do not have as much time to hunt. They are totally worth it though. The mistakes you made growing up, you can help them with. It is awesome to watch them hit their first homerun, make their first basket or score their first touchdown. When they get older & start hunting & fishing with you, is the funnest hunts you will ever expierence. I wouldn't trade it for the best hunting in the world. You will be busy & their life consume yours, there will be sacrifices to be made. It is hard, but it is the best thing that has happened to me with the exception of Jesus Christ saving me. When you do find time to hunt you appreciate it more. You also seem to take advantage of the oppurtunity to get out hunting & make the best of it! Good Luck, hope this advice helps.

Last edited:

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Have some, they're great! Sure, they will change the impulsive adventures, you'll have to plan things better. My son was 5 when he and his mom went brown bear hunting with me on Kodiak Island. We didn't shoot a bear on that trip but we all had a fantastic time!
We just had to take more and make it more "Family Friendly" if there is such a thing on a brown bear hunt. Would I have taken a bear if I didn't have him along? Maybe, do I care? NO! He was 9 when I took a grizzly with him there.

You should start having them before I did though. I was 44, he's now almost 15. (That really doesn't seem right...I thought I was only 29!)

Having a child to help raise has been the greatest blessing of my life!

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Nd hunter, I killed over 200 ducks, 100 geese the season before my wife and I had our first, now my kids are 3 and 1, how many birds have I killed this season,0! Last season I can probably count the birds I killed with my fingers and toes;) the kids have put a HUGE damper on hunting, with that said I wouldn't have it any other way, you have to take the good with the bad and the bad is only temporary. My wife understands the whole big game thing and if I'm lucky enough to draw a tag, I can have a week or two off to pursue my game. This year we are going down to Arizona on a vacation/hunting trip. Spending two weeks down there;) my daughter is 3, she is going on her first hunting trip with me tomorrow (pheasant hunting on a friends property) we will see how she does, if she does good we will pursue quail on a friends ranch the next day. I am very excited for her to start getting out in the field with me! I know my trips will be different from now on but sharing the field with a small person so open to the world is well worth it as well. I don't think she will be going above timberline with me next year but I will have to pry her off my leg when I do go;)

Have kids man, no regrets. They are the joy of my life!

If you ever see the movie "back up plan" (chick movie), actor Anthony Anderson talks about being a dad at a playground, he sums it up very well! Lots if frustration but the little moments make it worth it.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Im feeling the effects of parenthood. Both my wife and I ran hard for years without restrictions or boundaries. I would hunt when I want. She would hit the road with her mother competing in rodeo events and we would see each other when it was convenient. My daughter is 8 months old today and my lord how our lifestyle has changed. A complete 180. We eat as a family. We spend a ton of time together. We lay on the ground and laugh at our daughters progression in life as she laughs and attempts to stand. I always knew we would have children but you cant imagine how the times change when you do. I think children are the reason we are here. To bring a better more advanced generation up and pass on our legacy. And hunting is just one past time I plan to pass along. You find ways to incorporate your children into your activities. I still shoot my bow almost daily. Is it a bit harder? Absolutely. I have to pack out the high chair. Grab her little teething toys. Some crackers and whatever else will keep her quite. But she sits there in her chair as i shoot and watches every move I make with complete content. Shooting my bow has never been so fun! Most of my memories involve the outdoors with my father. Impossible to make your own memories about teaching the outdoors without your own kids.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
My daughter will be 4 next month and I couldn't be happier with being a parent. Have things changed? Without a doubt! Before we had her I hunted everything that moved. I rarely missed a day of deer season here in CA. Now I pretty much stick to deer, coyotes and turkeys. My wife is the best when it comes to my hunting. She pretty much gives up everything from the end of August through October for the CA deer season and I don't push my luck during the rest of the year.(unless I draw a good tag out of state) It truely is the compromise between us that makes it work.
Embrace the change and I will be a great experience!

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
Aww Vince! You would make such a good dad! :)
Kids definitely change things.. But it's for the good!! And like some other people said the amount they limit just depends on the relationship with your spouse or even the rest of your family. This year my stepmom and dad took care of my kids while I was hunting. It also helps that I hunt deer out on my parents ranch so I just go drop the kids off and go. When I'm elk hunting a lot Of times my dad will just come up and being his camper and camp with me and watch the kids. You will notice you don't care as much if there is a time you don't get to go because there's nobody to watch the kids. This year I was hunting and filming turkey on Mother's Day and was gone the whole day, never even seen my kids. When I got home. They had left their presents and cards for me on the table and I cried. I will never hunt on Mother's Day again. Kids give you a whole new outtake on life. My kids love to go hunting with me. My daughter who is almost 7 will talk about the deer we shot together everyday. She always tells me she can't wait to get to shoot a deer and she BEGS me to take he shed hunting. Not only do I get to get out and do what I love but I get to enjoy it with my kids and hear their excitement and passion for the same things I love.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Thanks Jen, when the time comes I sure hope so!

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are pretty much what I expected to hear. Everyone says kids give you a whole different outlook on life and nobody would change a thing. Even if that means missing out on some time in the woods.

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
Nd Hunter, You didn't say how old you are.

My question for you to ponder is whether you have some goal, career, passion or otherwise that you have not achieved yet?

If you DON'T achieve it will you resent your wife or kids? I mean when you want to be a self employed entrepreneur, and you are living out of your car on the razor thin edge of losing it all, to make a business work, I wouldn't recommend having a wife and family depending on you to have health insurance, and a regular income.

Do you have a seasonal job that allows you to quit and spend all fall hunting and living out of a tent ? Might not be the best time for kids.

Are you on the career that has you moving at a moments notice to dangerous places?

Do you live in an environment where drug use, alcohol abuse violent crime, child abuse are common?

Those are some situations where I could see not having kids. Otherwise we all figure out how to balance work, family and our free time. Having children does change your priorities and perspectives. Hunting with kids is nothing like when you were young and single. You will raise your 3rd child completely differently from your first. You learn to tone it down when the kids aren't as fired up about hunting.

Being a parent is hard but has moments of real pride and pleasure. Kinda like trophy big game hunting.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Well I have a 18, 12, and 10 year old that are kicking my country a$$. The 18 year old goes away to school next year hopefully with a cross country scholarship. We are hopeful that makes things easier.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Thinking about it more, you can borrow my 2 youngest and I'll go on a 2 week elk hunt. If you survive and still have the urge to have kids then you are ready.

Bugling Bull

Nov 14, 2012
Oklahoma
New member here,
Great topic since I just returned from hunting in Wyoming. My 14 year old son was after his first mule deer and first elk. I was also fortunate to get to take my 9 year old along and of course my wife and my father. Hunting is truly about the memories and if it was not for my parents having children, I would never know what hunting is and how enjoyable it can be. So I say have kids and take them hunting, those memories are bigger than any trophy.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Have kids! They will change you in a way that these questions your asking wont enter your mind. Your like will change that is for sure. It will be your choice to make it a good change or not. One of my proudest moments as a dad was when my 9 year old daughter killed her first big game animal. Now she is totally into bow hunting. I would never of had that feeling if I didn't have kids. To me your friend is a bit selfish but I promise you this if he has kids he won't be anymore.