Kids Getting ready!

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Season is getting closer, maybe time to start talking about actual hunting again (not that Covid and 90/10 haven’t been fun discussions). About 9 weeks until my son’s NM deer hunt and a little over 90 days until my daughters CO deer hunt. Been raining just about every afternoon down here so the kids haven’t gotten in much shooting. They have had to settle for some dry fire trigger control practice in the kitchen. Headed to CO tomorrow for a week of vacation/scouting.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Looks like they are having some fun one way or another.

Be prepared for some heavy downpours from the monsoons that are hitting here. Not much of the state is being spared every afternoon.

Reactions: D_Dubya

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
Season is getting closer, maybe time to start talking about actual hunting again (not that Covid and 90/10 haven’t been fun discussions). About 9 weeks until my son’s NM deer hunt and a little over 90 days until my daughters CO deer hunt. Been raining just about every afternoon down here so the kids haven’t gotten in much shooting. They have had to settle for some dry fire trigger control practice in the kitchen. Headed to CO tomorrow for a week of vacation/scouting.

View attachment 35594
On a deer hunt in Wyoming several years back I was with a grandson and watched him muff a fairly easy shot, the next day we were gassing a canyon together and he spotted a couple of cow elk on a far hillside. When I asked him if he would like to dryfire practice on them he thought I was crazy. After a few minutes he bought my idea. We folded the bipod down and he lay prone.
First click he said I missed seondvsqueeze he said sing it shot.
After a couple more he said gott it. Turned out to be good practice, an hour later he shot a 2x2 muley on mountainside at 225 yards right in the white spot of its neck! His younger brother used it the day before and shot a 3x4 at 336 yds. That was my 6.5/257 Bob ackley. He used it in Wisconsin also and took a nice whitetail buck.
Dry firing produces confidence.

Reactions: D_Dubya

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I would be a little careful with the dry firing. The firing pin can be weakened impacting on the inside of the bolt because of an empty chamber. I use snap caps on every gun I practice with during dry firing. I competition shoot in several different shooting sports and dry fire a lot. You can buy snap caps or make your own. If you reload, take an empty and remove the primer and fill the primer pocket with a drop of silicon. Using a fired case is better than nothing. I also paint them red so you don't mix up a live round with the cap.

Last edited:

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I have always heard that it’s a bad idea to dry fire and I’ve always been a tad apprehensive about it. But in the last couple years I have dry fired several of my rifles hundreds if not thousands of times without issue. That said, I just might try the silicone and red paint just for peace of mind.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy