Keeping your better half happy

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone have "best practices" to share for keeping your non-hunting spouse happy while you run away for 10 days to chase dreams?

Gifts? Joint trips to non-hunting destinations? What's worked and what hasn't?

Going on 4 years and so far I've learned: Happy wife, happy life.
DK

Treeshark

Jun 29, 2014
Appleton, WI
Mine likes to feel that she's getting greater than 50pct of my vacation time spent with her. I think that would hold true if I had one week of vacation or ten, she just wants to "win" over hunting (which is fair).

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
going on 12 years, got married on october 12th...... right in the middle of hunting season. told her if we get married on that date then ill never be home on aniv and she agreed to celibrate it before or after. as of 2 years ago she started tagging along, this will be her first year actualy hunting. sothats exciting. shes not up for that multi day stuff though so to keep her happy every year i get her tickets to go see her sis in nebraska for a couple weeks every summer.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I agree with Treeshark, as long as I give her half of my vacation time and plan other trips with her during the summer and Holidays I am good to go. I don't think they ever totally understand but they tolerate it. I also talked my wife into trying deer hunting close to home last year and she shot a 140" mulie. She won't do overnight backpacking hunts but is excited to do day trips to fill her buck and bull tag now.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The shared vacation days (part for hunting/fishing & part family vacs) has gotten me thru 50 years of marriage. My wife came from an outdoors/camping, fishing & hunting family so the deck was stacked a little in my favor. It has been much easier the last 14 years since I retired. I do my hunting and then take my wife wherever she wants to go in the winter when we spend time out of the Colorado cold. I've been on several guided hunts and have several more planned. I have taken her to Belize, a cruise to Hawaii, Costa Rica and have a trip to Australia planned. Yes it takes some bucks to do this, but we worked 40 years so we could. Life is short, so enjoy it.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Married 25 years this year. She knows that my OCD controls my life. Hunting has become my number one passion. We are empty nesters this year. I work too much. If it were up to me, I would be somewhere in the woods by myself every weekend. She says she is going to join Eastman's and Rokslide forum so we can talk a little more. I obviously need to improve on the "happy wife" plan.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
The shared vacation days (part for hunting/fishing & part family vacs) has gotten me thru 50 years of marriage. My wife came from an outdoors/camping, fishing & hunting family so the deck was stacked a little in my favor. It has been much easier the last 14 years since I retired. I do my hunting and then take my wife wherever she wants to go in the winter when we spend time out of the Colorado cold. I've been on several guided hunts and have several more planned. I have taken her to Belize, a cruise to Hawaii, Costa Rica and have a trip to Australia planned. Yes it takes some bucks to do this, but we worked 40 years so we could. Life is short, so enjoy it.
You sir are the "man". A great career supporting us the way you did, and now you get to enjoy yourself.

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
CC, thanks for the note. What was your career?

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
last year while elk hunting i seen this tiny gal walking off the mountain with a 5 gallon bucket in each hand, i asked if everything was allright and she said "yup just filling up the bear baits for hub" hahaha, i freaking loved it!!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Being present when you are home helps. My wife didn't think it could get worse as far as my gear addiction and hunting ......then I got hired by Eastmans. Be thee when you are home it goes a long ways.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
We got married Oct 5 wich is opening day of deer season for rifle in Nv. I told the wife the same thing, I won't be home. That's was fine for a few years then I asked her to start coming with me. She did. Got her hunters safety and now she's killin bigger animals then me. She takes vaca but stays close to home with our 10 year old while I work during the summer. Never really had to do anything special to make her happy, at least she never asked I just did things for her when I got home or before I left or even both. I'm happy she will be with me on three hunts this year.

Happy wife happy life, man ain't that the truth.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Some good advise. Good topic. I do get distracted at home and am not present sometimes. My wife has been pretty supportive because I come home pretty happy. I just need to talk her into going along. She can out shoot me and is pretty handy with the butchering, so I wouldn't mind being the camp cook for a couple trips. It would be fun.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
We got married Oct 5 wich is opening day of deer season for rifle in Nv. I told the wife the same thing, I won't be home. That's was fine for a few years then I asked her to start coming with me. She did. Got her hunters safety and now she's killin bigger animals then me. She takes vaca but stays close to home with our 10 year old while I work during the summer. Never really had to do anything special to make her happy, at least she never asked I just did things for her when I got home or before I left or even both. I'm happy she will be with me on three hunts this year.

Happy wife happy life, man ain't that the truth.
Pretty soon your kid will be killing bigger animals then you also haha

hoshour

Veteran member
Married 40 years next month, and yes we were teeenagers...well, I was 4 weeks into my 20s, but she was 19, and we're not even from the South!

I read a good book someone at church gave me called The Five Love Languages, which are supposedly 1) words of affirmation, 2) physical touch, 3) gifts, 4) deeds of service and 5) quality time. Most people have one or two that stand out and are much less affected by the others. If you and your wife differ, which we certainly do, you can put a lot of effort into trying to show love and wonder why in the world she doesn't feel loved.

When I learned that my wife's strongest two were deeds of service and quality time, followed by gifts, that really helped because those are really not mine at all and it helped me learn to show love the way she feels loved.

So, with that in mind, if I get my honey-do list done before I go hunting, maybe do something she doesn't expect, spend quality time with her when I am not hunting and bring her back a little something, that all goes a long ways. We also go on vacations together but a regular walk together in the evenings probably matters as much.