Kansas

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Still sitting on the fence here... Probably going to apply, now I can't decide if I want a rifle tag or an archery tag.. Rifle dates are 12/4 - 12/15. Any one have any experience hunting those dates, in the northern half of the state? I'm wondering if you might not see any second cycle rut activity, or if it's strictly a bucks putting weight back on hunt.
I actually do occasionally see bucks cruising looking for a late one. It's definitely nothing to plan a hunt around. It seems like around Thanksgiving the bucks sometimes move around home. The buck I shot this year moved 1.5 miles about that time, luckily to another place I hunt. I've taken several bucks like this that stay through the beginning of gun season. You never know when they will go home though, it's a situation where you have to strike fast. Some stay a day or two, some a week or so. By mid December they are almost always back in their core area it seems like. While they are outside their core area looking for those last does they can be vulnerable compared to when they are in feeding mode in their home territory where they have hunters patterned better than hunters do them.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I know some other guys with a lease, and they knock down some pretty respectable bucks over corn during the first week of December

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
A lot of guys have issues with baiting deer...

I don't care either way, would rather hunt early as opposed to late.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Why not early Muzzleloader? I have hunted it twice in Kansas, low pressure and deer haven't been pressured. Pattern a good buck and you have a good shot at a nice one.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Why not early Muzzleloader? I have hunted it twice in Kansas, low pressure and deer haven't been pressured. Pattern a good buck and you have a good shot at a nice one.
That's my plan, then return for firearms if unsuccessful early.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
That's my plan, then return for firearms if unsuccessful early.
That was mine as well- didn't exercise it the 1st time since I shot a very nice 10 point that scored just under 170 inches. Had a good friend of mine that had property there and was always inviting me up there to hunt. He loved his muscle cars and he restored a 55 Chevy that was pristine and won many awards. He passed away a few years ago. He had about 150 acres and his family had many more available to hunt on the family farms there. I heard one other shot all week around us. Never saw another hunter.

Nice Country.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I've struck out so far, but a buddy shot a good one for his first one. Rifle opening means they will be scattering from all the pressure. I plan to be out there and sit as long as possible! Congrats on a nice buck zpooch

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
You had a guided hunt right? I would have been looking for bigger too
Yes, it was guided. I won it when my name was put in the hat for purchasing a new bow. It was in SE part of the state. I had a great hunt, but just didn't see the caliber of buck I wanted to shoot.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Nice deer guys!

I screwed up and missed a nice one during early muzzleloader, chased another one around a big sorghum field a few times but couldn't get within range. I had hoped to get back out there during regular gun but it's not gonna happen.