Kansas

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Anybody putting in?

I submitted my app while ago, decided to give it a try. Their season fits my schedule pretty well, and since NM saw fit to not keep my money this tag was sort of "paid for" already.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I haven't convinced anyone to go with me yet. I have a couple points. I really truly only want to draw in to hunt Mule deer. But its a long shot and you have to hunt the tag or forfeit the cash and to me thats ridiculous.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
I'm headed there again. Getting more crowded and more unlikely to hit private land than years ago. Deer numbers aren't there like they used to be for quality

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I haven't convinced anyone to go with me yet. I have a couple points. I really truly only want to draw in to hunt Mule deer. But its a long shot and you have to hunt the tag or forfeit the cash and to me thats ridiculous.
Yup, you've got to be OK with winding up with an expensive whitetail tag. I'm hoping for the muley permit but definitely not counting on it.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
I always thought it was an interesting concept how KS and IA have the largest deer due to no rifle season in Nov. I wonder how other states wanting quality keep putting those rifle season in Nov. Makes no sense to me. I hunt these states for these reasons, NE, SD, etc had bad buck management

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If you think those are crappy states for big bucks try hunting Georgia sometime.... lol

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'm still undecided... Didn't get to scout nearly as much as I wanted to this spring, ended up by hyper efficient on the turkeys, and didn't get to look at as many farms as I wanted to.. that said, I saw a ton of deer, and a lot of sign on the farms I did look at.. I really hate paying $500 for a tag, when my tag right across the state line costs $20, but I do love their archery season dates!

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I live in KS and have definitely seen a decline in the number and size of mature bucks since 2012. That was the drought year when the EHD hit hard around my place. I found 9 bucks within 2 miles of my house that year that scored 140" or more dead in or next to water. I kept thinking as the age class increased again I'd start seeing bucks of the caliber I used to around home but it hasn't happened yet. I have still been able to take mature deer in the mid 140" to low 160" class, but I have not seen the giants that I used to. I'm running more cameras in more areas than ever before looking for them and just not finding them. Since having kids I'm not spending as many nights on a hill with the Swaro 15's and spotter as I used to, but I'm still spending quite a few. I think our genetics took a hit with the EHD. Most of the bucks I found dead were 10 points or better. We have more mature 7 to 9 point bucks now than I ever remember having before. Talking to other hunters from other parts of the state what I have gathered is that the north and eastern parts of the state were hit hardest. I talk to more people from those areas also, so that might not be completely accurate.

On the mule deer end, more and more people from my area are giving up their whitetail hunting to head west for muleys. If I was able to I would likely join them. I have the mule deer bug pretty bad and have seen some nice ones come from out there. Dad leaves for the KLA Convention and NFR during rifle season so I stay home to feed and take care of the ranch. I can't complain, I can hunt morning and evening and do my work mid day. Until I tag out I usually get a short morning and good evening hunt in each day of gun season.

Reactions: gonhunting247

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I hunt NW KS and have seen it slowly go downhill the last few years. With less trees and cover, crop rotations are a huge deal out there. Crops have come out late which leaves lots of places for deer to hide in season. Don't get me wrong, I've killed deer in the 130s each year fairly quickly during bow season, but I know there is more potential. I've never dedicated much time to muley hunting Kansas. I try to bowhunt as much as possible and the public ground can be pretty tough to mule deer hunt. Lots of good ones on private and some public, but I think there are better states with better mule deer. Just my opinion though. I've definitely noticed more hunters in my area each year, but still big deer getting killed.

Oh yeah, its definitely an expensive tag, but now at least you get two deer with that price. My CO deer tag costs the same now and I just get one! Oh and for you NR in most units you can purchase additional WT antlerless tags for around $50 if ya'll tag out with your other tags.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
We have access to private property in Greenwood county, and haven’t been there in 4 years. I figure between my dad and myself we sat a combined 600 hours over the course of 5 seasons. All days were between November 1 and 16. Age structure has gone downhill and so have deer numbers. With the increased license cost last year, it’s not that appealing to make the trip anymore. Still love Kansas, it’s an amazing place

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Still sitting on the fence here... Probably going to apply, now I can't decide if I want a rifle tag or an archery tag.. Rifle dates are 12/4 - 12/15. Any one have any experience hunting those dates, in the northern half of the state? I'm wondering if you might not see any second cycle rut activity, or if it's strictly a bucks putting weight back on hunt.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Fink definitely the latter in the evenings. Last 15 min big boys will hit the food sources after all the other deer have been out for hours

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
We have access to private property in Greenwood county, and haven’t been there in 4 years. I figure between my dad and myself we sat a combined 600 hours over the course of 5 seasons. All days were between November 1 and 16. Age structure has gone downhill and so have deer numbers. With the increased license cost last year, it’s not that appealing to make the trip anymore. Still love Kansas, it’s an amazing place
Greenwood county is beautiful country though! I live NW of Wichita about half an hour and go through there from time to time. Never hunted, but it sure looks good.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Fink definitely the latter in the evenings. Last 15 min big boys will hit the food sources after all the other deer have been out for hours
Yep, he nailed it from what I've seen. Last week of November is the latest I've seen second cycle activity the last few years. Pray for super cold weather and the hunting will be good. First year I hunted NW KS the weather was cold and brutal. Best year we have had for deer hunting. Been warmer every year and haven't seen the age class. This is, of course, limited to NW KS where I hunt. Further east I have some buddies that run lots of protein and corn feeders year round, food plots, and lots of ag fields around. They have a lot better luck, but they are also managing for those deer.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
That's kinda what I was afraid of. Sitting around waiting for deer to show up in an ag field isn't my idea of a great time. If there were potential for some chasing, I'd probably do it. Think I'm leaning towards archery, just cause I love catching a noon cruiser!