Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Wet Brine;

Minced Pineapple
Habanero Sauce
Liquid Smoke
Soy Sauce
Garlic Powder

Adjust ratios to personal taste - marinate minimum 12 hours in the fridge. I typically do 24 hours.

This is my favorite low sodium jerky mix. I package my jerky in small sealed bags and keep it frozen so I'm not overly concerned with dry shelf life. It is fine for a few days on a hunting trip. The pineapple and habanero really compliment each other. I'm doing a batch this weekend so I'll post some pics. **I use a standard tray dehydrator.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When I first started making it years ago before the internet came about to where you could find all kinds of cures and flavors I did a lot of soaking the meat in a wet brine. It always came out alright but it was always missing something.

For the last few years I been using the cure and flavor packages that I posted about in the first of this thread. A lot less messy and great flavor to boot. I like the mesquite but this last summer I did around 20 lbs of pepper jerky and it was great. I'll try some of the others as time goes by.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi Mtn sweet and spicy is my favorite, hands down; but Ive liked most I tried.

HT's recipe with pineapple is very interesting; I may jump in with both feet fwd on that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Some real-time data to share:

For those smoking their jerky outside in a smoker in cold weather, insulation works-I know, big surprise? [emoji38]

I did a load of antelope jerky last nite. In my part of Iowa, we have a couple of inches of fresh snow; and under clear skies, the low bottomed out at 10○ last nite. I loaded my meat into the preheated smoker at 9pm and it was done this morning at 7:45am. I used a double wrapped foil mylar cell insulation blanket on all sides except the top of smoker box and it really held the heat in well. I know guys use these things in Alaska, so I wasn't entirely surprised, but the actual experience put any doubt to rest.

Last edited:

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
'Az,

Like the smoker; off Amazon; but last I checked Sportsman Warehouse also had a good price on them. They're under $30. I think a roll of that stuff, forget the size, is about the same price at most hardware stores so a guy could make one too. I was lazy and got the one already cut to fit with the velcro attachments.