It's official!

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
I posted this picture up on the Antelope forum back in September, but thought I would give a follow-up here. This was my son's first Antelope hunt, at 14 years old, and with 2 points we drew a tag in NW Wyoming. He shot this goat the second day. Well, yesterday the official B&C Scorer called and said that after the 60 drying period his buck nets 83. My son sure is proud of this buck, and he really hunted hard for it and made a good stalk and shot... using MY .270 (remember that son, I want that gun back :eek:) He also shot his first Elk (cow) on the trip.

We had a great hunt and made some awesome memories together!

IMG_0045.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0030.jpg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I remember my son's 1st antelope at the same age as yours. Great to be able to have such a wonderful experience. The only down side is it is such a great buck, it will be hard to surpass!!! Great buck!

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
That certainly is a dandy buck. It may take a while to top that one. I hope you guys have many attempts to do so in your future. About that .270..... Good luck with that!

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
A big congrats to your son. As far as the gun goes... My dad hasn't got one back in the 20+ years I've been hunting. So rots a ruck.;)

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
That is a fantastic animal and a great elk! Now that is a hunting trip. What bullet was your boy using in the 270 Winchester? Was it a hand-load? :cool:

I hope you enter it into the B&C book officially and get him the document to frame. That and a picture of his buck right next to the head prominently displayed on the wall will look incredible. Think of all the memories that will come flooding back to you guys every time you look at it! Take those elk ivories and clean the flesh off them and drill a small hole in the root end of each and get a sterling silver necklace (guys necklace) and he can wear those proudly around his neck!! Just trying to help!!
David

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
That is a fantastic animal and a great elk! Now that is a hunting trip. What bullet was your boy using in the 270 Winchester? Was it a hand-load? :cool:

I hope you enter it into the B&C book officially and get him the document to frame. That and a picture of his buck right next to the head prominently displayed on the wall will look incredible. Think of all the memories that will come flooding back to you guys every time you look at it! Take those elk ivories and clean the flesh off them and drill a small hole in the root end of each and get a sterling silver necklace (guys necklace) and he can wear those proudly around his neck!! Just trying to help!!
David
Thanks David. We sure did have a good time. He was all smiles when the B&C Scorer called to talk to him the other night. I am planning on entering it in the book for him. Athletic 14 year olds and record books seem to go hand in hand :).

The bullet he used in MY .270 (I say again, Matthew ;)) was a Nosler Accubond 130. It was a Nosler Custom load, not a handload. We just moved and all of my reloading stuff was packed away still so I picked a box up. They shot sub MOA ... really really nice load. I did save the ivories from his elk. Hadn't decided what to do with them yet, but you have a great idea.

Thanks again,
Chad