It's May, but feels like August!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
For the last 2 to 3 weeks it has rained every afternoon. Feels like August and Monsoon season. This afternoon it clouded up (after a beautiful sunny morning), lightning, thunder, hail and rain. We got over 1/2" and it's still raining. My place looks like a jungle with the weeds taking over. I sprayed this morning, but doubt if it does any good as the rain probably will wash away all the weed killer.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It's rained enough in my area that I haven't had to run the sprinklers yet this year, they are ready but that is all.

It looks like we are now in for a dry spell. No rain is forested for the next week. I have been able to get out and take care of a few weeds but I only have 1/2 a acre to deal with and I have a local company spray my lawn for weeds along with fertilizer. One of my neighbors was in the hospital for a couple of weeks and his lawn looks like a dandelion advertisement.

I looked at the Eagle River yesterday and it is running high and fast. I watched a video the other day where a wrecker service had to get a truck out of Powell, they said that the water is coming up fast. The truck had gotten stuck on dry ground and within 3 days it was close to going under. I also saw where they opened up one of the dry boat ramps to houseboats.

And there is still a lot of snow up in them hills.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yep lots of snow still up in the La Platas. I have not run my sprinklers either. Just turned them on and adjusted them as needed. The Dolores River is running at almost 5000 cu ft. This week we lost a rafter too. Lake McPhee is full and the Dolores down river is roaring.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll be down that way come this Wednesday. My sister is going to be over and she wants to take a trip to Silverton. She came up 550 years ago in a snowstorm and she said that all she could see was snow and a glimpse of the hillside across the road every now and then. It looks like it is going to be clear so she'll get a sight as we head south out of Ouray with the drop offs and no guardrails.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Just over 3” on my parents rain gauge here in BV in the past 10 days 😳 = that is a ton for early May like once in 20 years. Green green green here!!

Rivers are high and surfing is 👌.