InReach

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Does anyone know if the Spot version will send messages to the Garmin version of InReach devices?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Which spot? the one i had did not allow text messages, just pre done messages to a phone number that was put in to a computer screen at home. My inreach will recieve texts from anyone who has the number. But there is multiple spot devices and multiple inreach devices.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Which spot? the one i had did not allow text messages, just pre done messages to a phone number that was put in to a computer screen at home. My inreach will recieve texts from anyone who has the number. But there is multiple spot devices and multiple inreach devices.
This is the one he has.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I don’t have either yet. From what I’m learning talking to people and reading online, Spot and Garmin will talk to each other, but not always and sometimes it’s difficult for to get it started.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I got an InReach SE+. If you buy a used one off eBay, like I did, make sure it’s not tied to an account before you buy it., learned that the hard way. I haven’t got to play with it much, but I’m guessing you use the email to talk to other InReach’s?

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
We use the Inreach. Inreach uses phone number or email whichever you prefer. I send messages to both. The Inreach has a number attached to it. You can also receive messages from anyone that has the #. I use it on my boat and on hunting trips. On hunting trips where I have no cell service I switch to the expedition plan which is unlimited text. Then I switch back to the basic plan for the rest of the year. It's nice to be able to switch back and forth without any other charges other than the plan itself.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
What did you end up going with? Here is a review I did of the Zoleo device.

I got a Garmin inReach SE+ because I liked that you didn’t need a phone to text with it. Also, all my buddies have a Garmin device, so I figured it would be easy to talk back and forth that way.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I got a Garmin inReach SE+ because I liked that you didn’t need a phone to text with it. Also, all my buddies have a Garmin device, so I figured it would be easy to talk back and forth that way.
Also there is no charge applied to your text total for Inreach to Inreach texts and I believe no charge to your text limit for preset texts.

Reactions: idcwby

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Sometimes it is easier to go with known quatities.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Did everybody know you can schedule a test SOS with your InReach through the iercc.com website?? I just read that through the inReach Insider email. Has anybody done a test SOS?? I have had mine for many years and have done the regular test many times but never tested the SOS function. Might be good to know that in a situation the actual SOS function will work with the Garmin IERCC.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Did everybody know you can schedule a test SOS with your InReach through the iercc.com website?? I just read that through the inReach Insider email. Has anybody done a test SOS?? I have had mine for many years and have done the regular test many times but never tested the SOS function. Might be good to know that in a situation the actual SOS function will work with the Garmin IERCC.
Good to know. Need to check it out.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I did get an inreach text last week from a buddy who needed some help. He used a mini and typed it up via his phone.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
i have the inreach mini new and old version. and with the newer app that garmin has for texting with your phone its much easier and faster than the original version of the inreach mini. i have text with other inreach devices and cell phones. and have used my phone and each device to send texts. i do find using my phone is much faster for typing texts. i have no experience with zoleo or others. does zoleo offer the weather options?
i do agree with ScottR about having them with me August through about this time of year full time. then i shut it off or go to basic plan from the unlimited type plan