Information on Wolves & What Happens Now In Colorado

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have to admit, when this topic was first discussed a few years ago, I was leaning a bit toward it. Wolves were always natural residents here and righting the wrong of their eradication appealed to the conservationist in me.

But this whole plan is a hot mess. It's hard to say what the worst part is, but tapping CPW funds to achieve it is right up there - that's an unfair burden to the group of people (hunters, the bulk of CPW's funding) most likely to OPPOSE it, and it's doubly bad that livestock restitution is paid out the same way. And it seems to me that everything we do to "help" Mother Nature over the years goes wrong in some way.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I have to admit, when this topic was first discussed a few years ago, I was leaning a bit toward it. Wolves were always natural residents here and righting the wrong of their eradication appealed to the conservationist in me.

But this whole plan is a hot mess. It's hard to say what the worst part is, but tapping CPW funds to achieve it is right up there - that's an unfair burden to the group of people (hunters, the bulk of CPW's funding) most likely to OPPOSE it, and it's doubly bad that livestock restitution is paid out the same way. And it seems to me that everything we do to "help" Mother Nature over the years goes wrong in some way.
The tree huggers hit a home run with this one, hunters are going to fund the destruction of their sport. I have been dealing with wolves all fall, I have 7 in one single trail camera picture. Have been finding deer carcasses regularly. I pray that somehow this doesn't ruin Colorado's hunting industry.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The tree huggers hit a home run with this one, hunters are going to fund the destruction of their sport. I have been dealing with wolves all fall, I have 7 in one single trail camera picture. Have been finding deer carcasses regularly. I pray that somehow this doesn't ruin Colorado's hunting industry.
IT will but if your over 50 odds are you won't notice a huge hit in your lifetime. i merely base that on idaho. it's been 30 years and while there has been a lot of elk decimated by the lil puppies :mad: hunters who can adapt to the changes in the elks behaviors can still be pretty successful. hate to think what it's gonna be like another thirty years from now but THANKFULLY I will be dead.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
9 our of 10 mothers wouldn't recommend putting your picture on facebook or IG holding said wolf. lol

#Bangwalkaway
#Sendit

or whatever those people say nowadays.

Reactions: TexElkHunter817

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
tip.............. make sure you don't have your phone or" fit bit " with you when you commit the crime. big bruthas watchin u!

oh; and use someone elses gun or at least gut shoot so evidence passes through. and always leave one survivor to eat the evidence ;) :ROFLMAO:

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
tip #1, hunt where you find the wolves. There is a reason they are there.
my own personal expierence has been, the average hunter will go home empty handed more than they where used to. The good hunter that does not change there game, will become average. The excellent hunter that changes their game to the new game, will kill elk every year.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
probably the biggest change is ,the new hunters will see far less game then in the past and many of them will never come back. every generation will see less and less interest in hunting while this is cool in the short term it does not bode well for the future of the sport

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
What the tree huggers don't understand. We the hunters replaced the wolf. There is no need for them now, but it looks we will foot the bill. I am sure they will just increase non resident fees to cover the cost.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Irish wolf hounds. nice.

My buddy was obsessed with getting a few of those back when we all had coyote dogs. lol

Reactions: Winchester

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
What the tree huggers don't understand. We the hunters replaced the wolf. There is no need for them now, but it looks we will foot the bill. I am sure they will just increase non resident fees to cover the cost.

This won't be popular, but you do need some apex predators besides man. Keeps things sporty, also it is part of a balanced ecosytem. Where the damage occured in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming was the decades of not being able to manage them at the state level. If colorado can manage them from the get go, it won't be like it was in: ID,WY,MT

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem here in Colorado is that the same people that managed to get wolves onto the ballot this last year will also quite likely push for them not to be hunted.

These are the same people who banned leg hold traps, spring bear hunts, and got the law passed that if you trap, or shoot a animal you have to consume the meat of that animal.

Reactions: kidoggy