I need any and all INFORMATION!!!!!

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
I'm new to this forum. I'm usually on Preddator Masters. I know there lots of new threads of guys that are new to hunting pronghorn in Wyoming. But if you don't ask the questions then you will miss out. So, I need to get a lead or to on units to focus my energy on. I'm not going to hunt in Wyoming in 2012. So I'm going to by a point and hunt in 2013. I have some decent hunts planned in Oregon this year. But I'm going to Wyoming this summer to scout with my dad and to get my feet on the ground. I going to do my home work. I rather enjoy the research part of hunting. I guess I enjoy everything about hunting. So, what would you guys do with one point? Thanks for any INFO

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
What type of weapon do you plan on using? I am a resident so i don't have to worry about points so this may not help. From the looks of the MRS you should be able to draw most of the green chip units with just one point. I usually hunt area 47, this is almost a guarantee every year for a tag. It does have a lot of private land but there is also an abundance amount of BLM. You will see hundreds of goats, you can easily pass up over 30 bucks a day. This is not a great trophy unit but you can find bucks in the mid to lower 70's.There is the occasional trophy, I shot one buck that scored 76 and another that scored 79.5. These goats are over hunted so they are very skidish. The terrain is very flat and little cover,with that and the bucks being real skidish, I have yet to get one with a bow. I hope this helps.

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
We are going to rifle hunt this one. Thanks for the info. I will look at 47 real close. After I knock down a couple I will give it a shot with my bow. Thanks again

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
Are you looking for trophy antelope or are you just looking to fill the freezer and a decent rack? If you aren't too worried about getting a huge trophy, just start researching where there are walk in areas. The MRS section in Eastmans has a lot of good information for this. Like someone said before on a different thread, it's hard to have a bad antelope hunt in Wyoming. We have TONS of antelope and as long as you do your research you will be fine and have a fun trip. Antelope are a tough animal to hunt because of their awesome eye sight. Just be patient and really make sure you have your rifle sighted in. You may want to consider maybe trying to set up at a water hole in a blind. The antelope out here during hunting season aren't really fond of vehicles. They see a vehicle a mile away and they will start hauling butt.. They see you and all you see is a dust cloud. What kind of hunting are you wanting to do? Do you want to walk? Drive around a lot? Set up at a water hole? I'm tired and rambling now... Lol

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
We like to walk. We are going to commit 10 to 14 days to this hunt. I want to learn as much a possible. Wyoming is a long ways to drive. So, once I get there I'm going to hang out a while. Like I said the research part is fun to. Thanks for the post

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I recon with my truck or quad and use a spotting scope extensively. When I find something I like, I try to figure the best way to close the distance. Usually envolves lots of walking and crawling. The more you hunt them, the more information you'll add to you memory base. It is way fun and a challenge too! Be prepared to see hundreds of animals every day.

One thing for sure....have a good spotting scope, good knee pads and gloves. (Lots of small cactus!)

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I recon with my truck or quad and use a spotting scope extensively. When I find something I like, I try to figure the best way to close the distance. Usually envolves lots of walking and crawling. The more you hunt them, the more information you'll add to you memory base. It is way fun and a challenge too! Be prepared to see hundreds of animals every day.

One thing for sure....have a good spotting scope, good knee pads and gloves. (Lots of small cactus!)
Amen to that!! I looked like a pin cushion after antelope hunting last season.