Hunting Solo?

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
All of my trips out west have been solo so far, although I dont venture to grizz country or do backcountry hunts. I tried to get people to go on the first hunts out there, but no one ever would so I just went by myself. I actually really enjoy the solo part of it. My success rests on no ones shoulders but mine, and I dont feel like im responsible for anyone elses either. I believe everyone should do solo at least once. Youll learn alot about yourself.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
With the passing of my dad this last fall, all hunts will be solo. Until my boys are old enough, I have no desire to hunt with other friends. With the way life is, I enjoy being by myself and just enjoying the moment and challenge. I get invited every year to go to Kansas with a group of guys to whitetail hunt. Not that I don’t want to shoot a giant whitetail, I just don’t want to be there with a group of people. Sounds kinda weird, but just not my idea of an ideal hunting trip to me.

Reactions: hunttrap and lukew

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
i have a freind on some hunts//occationally we can do out of state,,but seems like im 75% solo on non-res stuff{,,timing and cost}are main factors

Reactions: lukew

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I hunt with two other guys but only to share a camp. I'm like 15 years older and slower than they are. I'm not a "run and gun" guy, I like to take my time and pick my way through the timber slowly. We share camp resources and help each other on pack outs but for actual hunting I'm solo.

Reactions: lukew

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I hunted solo most of the time until I met my future wife in 1988. Since then, it’s been she and I on all but a very few hunts! We don’t hunt nearly as hard as we used to......age has a way of reducing the distance you cover and the height of the ridges you climb! memtb
Don't you think it is about time to tie the knot with her. 33 years is a long time to keep her waiting.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’ve hunted solo many many times. Mostly it’s because I have more time to get away and hunt then guys I hunt with. For a few years I didn’t have a hunting partner I cared to hunt with for weeks at a time. I also do enjoy time by myself hunting so when I was solo I didn’t mind it.
My family does not like me hunting solo and to be honest I prefer to have a partner especially the older I get.

Reactions: memtb and lukew

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I used to hunt with a couple of folks. Anytime I helped them with their tags, I would give my opinion when asked and sometimes when I wasn't asked. But, when it came to my tags, I would ask opinions and always get the answer "I don't know, its your tag". After a few years of this I didn't ask for them to go, just went solo. Solo hunting scared the shit out of me as I have never hunted solo prior to that. Hell, to this day, the first day hunting solo I just know I am being stalked by a 325 pound mountain lion. Hear a noise in the distance and know death is imminent. Haha, but by day 2 all worries are lost. Just recently I have had other folks ask to go or wanted to camp together. I still hunted solo this past archery elk season, but accepted 2 different requests during the archery deer season. I will always plan on hunting solo, but will be open to assistance, or minimally, share a camp. It is nice to have someone to discuss the days events with.

Travis Horner

Feb 28, 2020
Powell, WY
I hunted solo for many years until I experienced what it was like to help someone else succeed. Now it is very rare to find me in the field alone. My wife and I share the same love and passion for being surrounded my creations blessings. We have learned to enjoy the little things together, no matter the scenic backdrop.

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
I hunted solo most of the time until I met my future wife in 1988. Since then, it’s been she and I on all but a very few hunts! We don’t hunt nearly as hard as we used to......age has a way of reducing the distance you cover and the height of the ridges you climb! memtb
Boy is that so true about age.

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
I had hunted Solo for many years as I lived away from relatives and friends who would normally go with me. I definitely enjoyed some aspects of the solo hunting in regard to not worrying about schedule, logistics or debating were you want to go. From a safety standpoint hunting by yourself provides increased risk for sure, even a simple fall or sprained ankle can turn into an ordeal with out help. Also packing out big game animals by yourself is no picnic unless your really in the mood for a serious workout that day.

These days 2 of my boys are old enough to go with me, and I live close enough to my brothers, nephews and cousins that my days of hunting solo are probably over for awhile. Some pros and cons to hunting solo for sure.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I used to hunt with a couple of folks. Anytime I helped them with their tags, I would give my opinion when asked and sometimes when I wasn't asked. But, when it came to my tags, I would ask opinions and always get the answer "I don't know, its your tag". After a few years of this I didn't ask for them to go, just went solo. Solo hunting scared the shit out of me as I have never hunted solo prior to that. Hell, to this day, the first day hunting solo I just know I am being stalked by a 325 pound mountain lion. Hear a noise in the distance and know death is imminent. Haha, but by day 2 all worries are lost. Just recently I have had other folks ask to go or wanted to camp together. I still hunted solo this past archery elk season, but accepted 2 different requests during the archery deer season. I will always plan on hunting solo, but will be open to assistance, or minimally, share a camp. It is nice to have someone to discuss the days events with.
When I was much younger I had some of those fears. Then about 20 years ago all those worries went away. If I am going to depart this world it would be best to happen doing something I love so much. Plus it would give all the people something to remember me by. "You know ole Mark don't you". "Yep". "Did you hear he got ate by a mountain lion".

Reactions: tdub24

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
When I was much younger I had some of those fears. Then about 20 years ago all those worries went away. If I am going to depart this world it would be best to happen doing something I love so much. Plus it would give all the people something to remember me by. "You know ole Mark don't you". "Yep". "Did you hear he got ate by a mountain lion".
I once had a boss that said ,"only a fool goes into the woods alone!"(city boy)

I just answered , "I don't agree . but if you ARE a fool , I probably wouldn't recomend it!" and then I walked away

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Hunted the Kiabab solo one year and ran out of beer.
I looked around and there was no one to blame it on, so I drove
all the way to Kanab and bought more... A Lot more.
Sometimes having a partner with a cooler isn't such a bad thing! ;) 💥