Hunting Philosophy as you get older

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
How many of you older guys have thought about how you look at hunting opportunities? I am 80 (will be 81 in a few months) and a few years ago I realized that some of the really great areas I have hunted, I'll never be able to hunt them again. Some of my best areas in Wyoming and Colorado now take over 10 points to draw a tag. A couple of years ago I burned 15 on a Colorado antelope hunt and 15 on a Wyoming deer hunt. Probably won't ever hunt them again, but I still put in for points for lesser areas.

What to do about it? Some areas I learned from other guys, some I wore lots of boot leather out finding them myself. I have found a few guys I trust and really like, so I shared these spots with them. I will continue to be selective and continue this. I encourage other older guys like myself to do the same. If you have a good area and you know you will never have enough points to hunt it again, think about it. Be selective.

Just sayin...............

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
As a non resident everywhere I typically give advice to guys that have drawn the same unit. I have only hunted limited entry units so based on point creep, less tags, 90/10 etc alot of the units I plan to go back too turns into a never ending chase. Every year I gain a point and point creep takes 2 or 3. So if someone is interested in some 10-14 year old info on units I give it. If conditions were different and I had tags more often I would be stingy with advice.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I agree to a point.

But, I learned many of the spots I hunt myself, and that is very rewarding. Its 99% of the fun and what makes hunting special on a personal level.

It took a lot of time for me, a level of commitment that I think others should have to go through rather than me showing them things in a few days that took me a few years (or more). Its always amazing to me how other hunters can't take what you've shown them and apply it to another area, they just want to keep hunting the same spot you showed them, the same way, year after year.

I'm pretty free with strategies and sharing enough to get people started, but its that whole giving a person a fish versus teaching them to fish deal.

Those looking for a handout are robbing themselves of the best part of hunting, IMO.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not quite there in years, as I zero in on 50; but with point creep and 90/10, I still may never get to hunt some storied units; those realities are probably pushing those places just out of my reach.

Its a 'make lemonade from lemons' proposition for me. I go for the bargain tags; if I even draw one; I chase small game, and go fishing out west. They're motivation. I learned long ago I won't learn this game, or experience it sitting at home; or returning to the same places. I realize I'm fortunate to be a day's drive from alot of it.

I guess my philosophy is this: maximize my opportunities to get out west and hunt; don't be afraid to explore new country; don't be too proud and wait for a tag I may never get!

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Reminds me of when I moved from PA. I had a war chest of locations in the mountains with Snowshoe hares. I gave it to my trusted friend I hunted with for many years (who now owns his own beagles). When we opened the collection of maps and KMZ's he couldn't believe the intel I was giving him.

I said - "Its yours now buddy. Don't shoot more than 1 in any location every 2 years"
He said - "You have been sandbagging me all this time!"

No telling how many miles I put on looking for those Hares. I'm a secretive/deceptive guy when it comes to hunting places. I loved hunting them.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
No matter how many hunts that I go on, the next hunt is the best hunt. As you grow older it is less about filling your tag as it is filling your life.
There was a time when I could not understand anyone passing up a shot at a decent animal, especially on an out of state hunt that you had long anticipated and saved up for. Well, I am now there, as I have done just that and not regretted my decisions.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
as I get older I realize that if I don't get a tag it is no big deal. I used to dream of the next hunt as soon as the last finished . not so any more. if I don't get the tag I will go do something else . probably cheaper.
I always enjoyed killing the trophies when opportunity presented but truth is they never meant much to me . I gave most of my mounts away as gifts over the years and will probably part with them all before my final breath. they are just more useless shit taking up space in the home.

for me it is just about getting out and seeing what's about. I don't even really care anymore if I fill a tag or not.

now it is more like ." beef it's what's for dinner!"

happiness is not more . it is simplicity!

Reactions: Prerylyon

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
No matter how many hunts that I go on, the next hunt is the best hunt. As you grow older it is less about filling your tag as it is filling your life.
There was a time when I could not understand anyone passing up a shot at a decent animal, especially on an out of state hunt that you had long anticipated and saved up for. Well, I am now there, as I have done just that and not regretted my decisions.
Well said.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
A lot of good points in the posts above. I love finding new spots to hunt on my own, but have received starting spots on a fair amount of those locations from very kind folks on here or other resources. Just getting a couple basic starting points, then adjusting my hunt strategy to fit my style, the weather, the timing, the particular year, pressure etc. is definitely part of the fun!
I think one thing I love about visiting with people about hunting units, is getting to meet a lot of great folks that have became friends at many different levels. A few I now hunt with quite often and many others I keep in contact with.
I also respect anybody's choice to not share information, as I have had some people pretty much ruin good locations locally by bringing too many people (over hunting). So I will agree a person better use some discretion when talking with folks. There are many different levels of this too! It depends on if it's a general tag or a OIL tag on how specific or if you want to contribute at all. (Tons of variables!)
One thing I love about finding specific little hidden spots on my own is, then I feel free to share those/or not with people as I choose.
I don't share specific locations that others have shared with me, especially if asked not to. In fact I have gone as far as, to avoid areas all together just to make sure I'm not breaking that trust. If I wasn't willing to honor that request, I wouldn't ask. Sometimes I don't ask just to avoid this situation.
Again I think biggest reward I've gotten over the years about visiting with folks about hunting units, is not the specific locations or starting points, as much as meeting some very good people and the opportunity to realize how many great folks are still out there!
Most the times good locations change ( at least somewhat) over the years anyway. If you can't apply good animal behavior basics, environmental factors and good hunting skills to the information you have gathered to go along with some good old intestinal fortitude, you are selling yourself short anyway! It wouldn't be as fun if it was always easy :).
Every hunt is still like Christmas morning as a kid to me, even and 56. I'll continue to help everyone I can, as long as I feel they are willing to work a little for the reward.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I never really understood why anyone would want help from another?

for me , doing it yourself is the very thing that makes it worth doing.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
With point creep and tag numbers dropping for nonresidents, I’ve been thinking that my only chance to hunt some of the really good units is by winning a tag through one of the raffles for commissioners tags. Long shot at best but at least the money goes to good causes. I’ve never built up a lot of PPs because I hate waiting that long to hunt. I hope to cash in my Wy elk points next year, my son is graduating college and we’ve been planning a elk hunt for about 7 years. After that I will have to reevaluate my hunting strategy, possibly move out west to increase availability.
I have always been a sucker when it comes to helping others, not that I have a lot to offer but I know how hard it is to develop a plan from a 1000 miles away with limited vacation time and family obligations.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I"m 41, but have quite a few points in most western states... I could go on 1 western hunt a year....and probably be good until I'm older...

I'm getting to the point where Im trying to burn my points on good/great units... and probably not reapply for the same areas or points again unless I really want/need to hunt that state/animal again... or if I could hunt it diy often and have a good time, but I think for many of these premium units after I draw/hunt I'll be done applying for that state/animal.

I'm pursuing the NA10... after that I could see mostly hunting elk annually...

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
It is not, can i get the tag. It is how much will the body hurt getting there.
There is a spot in the selway, that i am not sure i want to go there, as bad as i used to.

Reactions: Prerylyon