Hunting in the rain

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
What r ur thoughts on hunting blacktail in the rain? I have only got one in the rain. Seems like more people hunt during the rain in Cali then some other states. Should rain in B zone Tommorow? Any one heading up?

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
I've hunted BT in CA,OR, & WA.
Much of it has been in the rain (at least in OR & WA).
It seems that the animals in CA (specifically A & B zone) got really active at the first shot of rain.
I remember taking a few on the first day of rain after months of dry weather.

I think it often works in reverse up north.
A little shot of sun after a few days of rain is sometimes just what you need to see animals on the WA & OR coast.

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
Right now I'd take rain in a heartbeat. The high country is bone dry. My assumption would lead me to believe the deer would be more active during and definitely immediately after the rain. either way, I'm hunting. Either grassing under trees or focusing on south facing slopes in the am.

Sfjeeper

May 31, 2014
Rocklin, CA
I've had great success just after a rain. Hunting here in California it's usually so hot. I think the deer really start moving when there is a little weather. I agree with Sawfish, if you are hunting in the rain, you can find the deer bedded down. The rain can also help mask your noise.