hunt unit 36a2 in idaho

Doug6pt

Jul 5, 2019
Hello my son drew bull elk hunt in Idaho. It is in unit 36a2 for Oct 1st- 31st. I have elk hunted for 40 years so I know where to look ,but was wondering if any one had any recomendations on where to start? We have never hunted this unit before. We are not going to be able to scout before so we are just planning on going 3 days before the opener. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
With 40 years experience, you should be helping us. Why not hang around and contribute some of that knowledge. To be honest, I think most here will help but are a little put off by first time posts asking for information.

Reactions: kidoggy

Doug6pt

Jul 5, 2019
Sorry, but I've been a long time Eastman subscriber. I just am not not very tech savvy. That's why I just joined and wasn't looking for someone's secret honey hole. I just thought maybe someone had this tag in the past and would mind sharing some info.

Idhikker

Feb 13, 2018
PM me. Let me know if your available dates, camping situation, fitness levels, and I’m happy to be a local perspective.

huntingidaho

Apr 5, 2019
Potaman and Sillivan creek area has been good for me in the past few years. I would recommend getting in early the first day and bugle something in or close enough for Rifle range, in my experience bugling only works one or two days up there until a few rifle shots ring out.

Doug6pt

Jul 5, 2019
Potaman and Sillivan creek area has been good for me in the past few years. I would recommend getting in early the first day and bugle something in or close enough for Rifle range, in my experience bugling only works one or two days up there until a few rifle shots ring out.
Very good , I've had that same experience in other early rifle units in the past. Thanks a bunch that at least gives me a starting point. I'll let you know how we do.

Doug6pt

Jul 5, 2019
PM me. Let me know if your available dates, camping situation, fitness levels, and I’m happy to be a local perspective.
Thanks for the response. We are planning on going Sept 28 thru Oct 6. Hoping to get a couple days scouting in before the opener. We usually set up a base camp at the truck and day hunt but also have set up spike camp in past years and stay out 2 or 3 days. We are in good shape but not sheep shape. We don't mind hiking to get it done. We enjoy getting away from people even if we don't see a lot of elk, I've gotten quite a few elk but my son's only 26 .So I always try to enjoy the time in the mountains together. Thanks again

huntingidaho

Apr 5, 2019
I do a lot of archery hunting in the Stanley area, there are some big bulls to be found. Post pictures after the hunt. There is also a road out of Hailey that will take you to the Southern part of the unit, hunted that area last year and had lots of bulls screaming in September. We couldn't connect but had some close calls.

Doug6pt

Jul 5, 2019
I do a lot of archery hunting in the Stanley area, there are some big bulls to be found. Post pictures after the hunt. There is also a road out of Hailey that will take you to the Southern part of the unit, hunted that area last year and had lots of bulls screaming in September. We couldn't connect but had some close calls.
Thanks a bunch! I can't wait to get in the mountains and hear the music. I'll let you know how we do.

Doug6pt

Jul 5, 2019
Doug did you get my private message?
Yes thank you very much! I was studying the map when you sent me the message tonight ! Looks great I added it to my list of areas to check out. Where do you have a tag for this year?

Doug6pt

Jul 5, 2019
Very Nice Bull. So where did you guys end up hunting?
Sheep creek had an outfitter with a few guys in it so we ended up going up herd Creek drainage and covering alot of open country but saw alot of elk just very far away and this one stayed put long enough for us to make a 4 hr stalk and a 450 yd shot and a 2 day pack out. Great hunt! Thanks for your input.