Huh??!!

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Good day gents, been out and about hunting in Elko County chasing elk up this mountain and down that one. Came across this scene and am curious if any of you know what it represents, whether it be a tool to help to quarter an animal or something religious/spiritual. Any thoughts?

20160923_082535.jpg

In case you can not decipher the picture, that is a cow gut pile with a tripod of sticks over the top of it. They used electrical tape at the top to keep them together.

Just seems really odd to me.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is anyone's guess at what it means except to the one that did it.

Perhaps it is a way to mark the gut pile so that they can come back later to hunt coyotes that might be feeding on it.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
This pile looked to be a few days old and I didn't see any carnivore sign around it. Down at the bottom of the hill about a mile away there was another gut pile that had 3 coyotes, 2 eagles, and a couple dozen crows flying around.

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
Must be the work of Bigfoot. Except of course he would use Gorilla tape instead of electical tape...

I've never seen anyone do that but the idea of a predator marker seems plausible. It also could have been the actions of a bored kid while his dad quartered the elk nearby, but it does seem like someone went through at least some effort to mark it for a purpose. Mystery???

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I would sit there until they come back so you can axe em.:rolleyes:

oh yeah, dress warm.

Last edited:

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Talked with a friend, he says it is a praying ritual some Native Americans do to show thanks to the animal. That was my guess but I got clowned by the hunting party so I thought maybe somebody here would know. Thanks anyways to those who responded.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That sounds as feasible as any of the other answers.

But then why the electrical tape and not some rawhide or sinew from the animal that was shot there?

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Perhaps it was begining to snow when they got their elk and they built the triangle and tied something bright on top so they could find it in the snow.

claylandry

Sep 29, 2016
Boise, ID
You may have stumbled onto a ritualistic cow mutilation. There's a long history of these unexplained mutilations. Check out this video-news story from Southern Colorado.

http://kdvr.com/2016/02/08/colorados-unexplained-stories-cattle-mutilations-in-trinidad/

My dad tells a fascinating and fantastic story of bow hunting in the early 1970s in Colorado near McClure's Pass. He and his and his hunting partner, an animal vet from Fort Carson, found a mutilated bovine cow hanging in a tree. The teets and tongue had been surgically removed, according to the animal vet. They found this early in there hunt so everyone was on edge.

A few days later, my dad describes a scene, where he was sitting at camp near dusk when he heard crashing through the timbers and the yell of "Yeeeaaah Yeeeaah". Moments later he sees his hunting partner flashing through camp on his horse hell bent for the bottom of the mountain. His partner had been working a ridge when he heard some noises at the bottom of the canyon. The closer he got he could hear chanting and could see the glow of a bonfire. To this day, he still turns ghostly white when recounting the experience and swears that the chants he heard were "Gonna Git'cha Gonna Git'cha".

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
You may have stumbled onto a ritualistic cow mutilation. There's a long history of these unexplained mutilations. Check out this video-news story from Southern Colorado.

http://kdvr.com/2016/02/08/colorados-unexplained-stories-cattle-mutilations-in-trinidad/

My dad tells a fascinating and fantastic story of bow hunting in the early 1970s in Colorado near McClure's Pass. He and his and his hunting partner, an animal vet from Fort Carson, found a mutilated bovine cow hanging in a tree. The teets and tongue had been surgically removed, according to the animal vet. They found this early in there hunt so everyone was on edge.

A few days later, my dad describes a scene, where he was sitting at camp near dusk when he heard crashing through the timbers and the yell of "Yeeeaaah Yeeeaah". Moments later he sees his hunting partner flashing through camp on his horse hell bent for the bottom of the mountain. His partner had been working a ridge when he heard some noises at the bottom of the canyon. The closer he got he could hear chanting and could see the glow of a bonfire. To this day, he still turns ghostly white when recounting the experience and swears that the chants he heard were "Gonna Git'cha Gonna Git'cha".
That certainly sounds like a tale told to youngsters around the campfire. Especially with the "Gonna Gitcha Gonna Gitcha" line.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I'll be up in the Jarbidge area in a few weeks, what's the snow level at?
It warmed up since I took that picture. Buddy said Jarbidge didn't get as much as I was in. I imagine majority of the snow has melted off. Don't think there is anything to worry about right now. Expected to snow up there this Monday though.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
The last time my son had a deer tag in the Jarbidge area it rained and snowed for a couple of days and the roads turned into a muddy mess. Be prepared.
This was the road coming in from Wildhorse Res. towards Charleston beyond and the road coming up along Gold Creek towards Tennesse Mtn.
Good luck on your hunt.