How's that public land working out for ya'?

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
https://www.fws.gov/policy/do219.html

The outgoing Fish and Wilflife director just banned all lead ammunition and fishing tackle from all of the federally controlled lands. I'm glad that we have the government looking out for us, just think about all the money everyone will have spend replacing their tackle and ammo.

MoBowHunter

Jan 19, 2016
Missouri
Two questions. 1) what is the mission of the USFWS, and 2) what is the reason for banning toxic metals from wildlife refuges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The Obama reign failed to get it's gun control agenda thru Congress, so as a parting gift we get this! It is another way to chip away at how hunters (and now fisherman too) pursue their passions and hobbies. There was mention of "other agencies" and then the USFS mentioned as a suggestion to enact the same rules. I hope the incoming Director will rescind this stupid and crazy rule for what it is.

Welchji

Jan 18, 2017
Southern AL
I listened to an interesting podcast two days ago about how the executive branch enforces laws through these rules. Under the Congressional Review Act, the new administration has 60 days in which it can revoke rules put in place by the outgoing administration...assuming the House, Senate and President all get on the same page.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I remember the uproar from waterfowlers complaining about the lead ban that was instituted 25 years ago. The sky was falling. Plenty of birds still being shot with lead alternatives. Plenty of evidence that lead does very bad things to animals and people. If lead is banned I'll simply buy steel shot, bullets, and non-lead sinkers and continue to hunt and fish. Not sure what the big deal is; lead is toxic and is not good for the environment.

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
"Service lands" = U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service lands which are basically the refuges. This doesn't apply to other federal lands the way it reads. It will be felt the most in Alaska if not rescinded.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I remember the uproar from waterfowlers complaining about the lead ban that was instituted 25 years ago. The sky was falling. Plenty of birds still being shot with lead alternatives. Plenty of evidence that lead does very bad things to animals and people. If lead is banned I'll simply buy steel shot, bullets, and non-lead sinkers and continue to hunt and fish. Not sure what the big deal is; lead is toxic and is not good for the environment.
I am not convinced that ALL lead ammunition is bad (and lethal) to wildlife when ingested by them. Yes there is plenty of evidence that it is harmful to waterfowl, especially ducks. They are filter feeders and can ingest a lot of it where it is present in their environment. Geese not so much as they eat lots of grain and green field grasses. I know that the "experts" say the Condors are effected by the lead eaten from carrion that are shot with lead bullets. How about other carrion eaters? I have seen nothing that says bears, buzzards, crows and other carrion eaters are killed in large numbers. I believe that the type of digestive system has a lot to do with the toxicity. Birds have gizzards which grind up their food. Mammals don't digest their food that way.

I do believe that ANYTHING that puts a "bad for the wildlife & environment" label on it, is a win for those who would ban hunting and shooting. Remember, lead is a mineral that is present all over our planet. Lead itself is not really toxic, it's lead oxide that is deadly.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Lead is highly toxic no matter its form of delivery.
I didn't make my point clear enough. Yes lead is toxic, BUT lead oxide is much more dangerous and toxic than a regular piece of lead. Have you ever seen an old lead bullet or cartridge with an all lead bullet that has a white powder coating? This is lead oxide. It's really dangerous and you should avoid it at all costs.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Yes it is. So is mercury, uranium and crude oil. Wouldn't let me kids touch those things either.

Lead is highly toxic no matter its form of delivery.
specially when it comes out my.223. them coyotes find it toxic.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
It always pays to read the link.

They didn't ban anything

Sec. 1 What is the purpose of this Order? The purpose of this Order is to establish procedures and a timeline for expanding....

a. Require the use of nontoxic ammunition and fishing tackle to the fullest extent practicable for all activities on Service lands, waters, and facilities by January 2022,