How to cook rabbit meat?

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
RABBIT STEW---CROCKPOT OR DUTCH OVEN

2-4 COTTONTAILS (rabbit) ( quail, pheasant, chukar) DEBONED AND CUBED ( SOAK IN RED WINE FOR 2 HRS)
Chop up the following
4-5 CARROTS
½ WHITE ONION
5 CELERY STALKS
5-7 RED POTATOES
¼ POUND FRESH GREEN BEANS
3 GARLIC CLOVES
2 STEMS OF ROSEMARY
ADD TEASPOON OF OREGENO
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE (TEASPOON OR SO)
1 CUP TO 1 ½ CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
2 LARGE CANS OF CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP

STEPS:
LAYER STARTING WITH CARROTS,RED POTATOES,ROSEMARY,ONION,GARLIC,CELERY, RABBIT,GARLIC,ROSEMARY,OREGENO,SALT,PEPPER,CHICKEN BROTH.
COOK FOR APPROX 4 HRS OR UNTIL CARROTS AND POTATOES ARE DONE.
IN THE LAST HR ADD THE CANS OF MUSHROOM SOUP WHILE STRIRRING UP THE STEW TO MIX WELL.
NOTE: MUSHROOMS OR ANY OTHER VEGGIES DESIRED CAN BE ADDED AS WELL. Or if someone doesn’t like mushrooms sauté in a pan and add to your bowl.

RED LOBSTER HOME MADE BISQUITS ARE A NICE ADDITION

Attachments

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Always slow cooked crock pot my rabbits. In Chicken broth as described above.

Then we pulled the meat and used it in place of chicken. (wraps, stews, soups, pies ect ect)

Make sure you keep the hair off that meat. Nothing grosser than rabbit fur in your meat. lol

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
For years my Dad fed the jacks we shot to our hounds. They loved them, me not so much. Brush bunnies and cottontails are great eating.
Snowshoe hares are pretty good in a rabbit stew. My wife used to make a combo Rabbit/Squirrel stew that was unbelievably good. Much like the recipe that SleepingBear posted. Except she added a tablespoon or 2 of Lea & Perrins' Worcestershire sauce to it.

manitou1

Mar 21, 2017
United States
Fried cottontail and potaotoes/gravy is one of my all-time favorite meals.
Roll them in seasoned flour, brown in hot oil, reduce heat/cover and simmer until tender. To speed things up, I will pressure cook the pieces in an insta pot for abot 20 minutes, removed and roll in flour mixture, then fry.
Make the gravy from the leftover oil, add milk and flour to make the white gravy.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I'll take a Jack over a cottontail any time, the big Antelope Jack
we have here are huge, you just need to cook them low and slow.
They get bigger than those little yappy lap dogs! ;) 💥

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll take a Jack over a cottontail any time, the big Antelope Jack
we have here are huge, you just need to cook them low and slow.
They get bigger than those little yappy lap dogs! ;) 💥
I had a fish cop down in Arizona that was checking my license one year tell me that he got some 5lb back straps off of one of those antelope jacks. But then again I called him a fish cop didn't I?

My brother in law always wanted to to shoot one of those antelope jacks and bring it home so that he could make a world record jack-a-lope out of it.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I had a fish cop down in Arizona that was checking my license one year tell me that he got some 5lb back straps off of one of those antelope jacks. But then again I called him a fish cop didn't I?

My brother in law always wanted to to shoot one of those antelope jacks and bring it home so that he could make a world record jack-a-lope out of it.
I have gotten some serious hindquarters off of them, but 5lb.backstraps?
"Fish Cop" would be lucky with 1/4lb., maybe 1/2lb. if he put his finger on the scale.

I have been hunting Jackalope for 50yrs. and have yet to see one, although the
the same goes for Mountain Lions... 💥

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Believing a fish cop isn't on my list of things to actually believe.

A few years ago I had one tell me where a herd of 20 or so javelina were hanging out at, the bad thing was that I had been watching that exact spot for a couple of hours, and while you may be able to hide one or two of those critters 20 would stick out like a sore thumb.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have gotten some serious hindquarters off of them, but 5lb.backstraps?
"Fish Cop" would be lucky with 1/4lb., maybe 1/2lb. if he put his finger on the scale.

I have been hunting Jackalope for 50yrs. and have yet to see one, although the
the same goes for Mountain Lions... 💥
jackalopes mortal enemy is the roadrunner . they prolly smells ya coming.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Believing a fish cop isn't on my list of things to actually believe.

A few years ago I had one tell me where a herd of 20 or so javelina were hanging out at, the bad thing was that I had been watching that exact spot for a couple of hours, and while you may be able to hide one or two of those critters 20 would stick out like a sore thumb.
yeah . I reckon I'd have called bullshit on that one also .

Eashel

Apr 7, 2022
New Jersey
Hi everyone! I may share my experience in preparing rabbit. If you are cooking a young rabbit (8 to 12-weeks old), called a fryer, which will be more tender than the older roasters(15-20 weeks), you can fry or roast it. The roasters, contrary to their name, need slow, moist cooking, like braising. If you are cooking rabbit parts, try the saddle or loin, which are the most tender of the cuts. The front legs are tiny and are best to set aside for stock or stew. The hind legs are tough and almost always need a moist braise. Lean rabbit meat really begs for bacon, or ventreche, to add some fat and protect it during cooking. So don’t be shy with the duck fat, olive oil, or bacon.

Reactions: kidoggy