How much wildgame do you actually eat?

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I can vouch for the Hi Mtn, Con Yeager and LEM kits for making snack sticks and summer sausage. A real, true Wisconsin summer sausage with a natural tang from a fermentation process is a bit of work, but many guys figure out how to do it, or you can sorta fake it with encapsulated citric acid or an additive called fermento. A really delicious and easy sausage just about everyone seems to enjoy is trail bologna, or 'deer stick' as they call it in some parts of western PA. I use the LEM seasonings and a mix of 70/30 wild game to pork shoulder and make delicious trail bologna. I say go for it. You won't regret it or turn back.
Ive had good luck with the high mountain seasoning and LEM as well. But in either case i like to use more spice than the recipes call far. For example, i think the LEM packs are goid for 5 pounds of meat. Ill take 7 pounds of meat and add 2 packs of seasoning. High mountain polish sausage kit is great. Another resource i buy seasonings from is curley's sausage kitchen. Everything i get from this guy is great.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
II gave up High Mountain Seasoning and went with PSSeasonings lot better flavors

This.

I have ordered from them as well and been very pleased with their stuff. I make fresh Polish and Hungarian sausage from ground pork with their respective mixes. Delicious. When they run a reduced or free shipping special, I stock up. They have a very broad line of flavors. One of the few out there with a true Hungarian sausage mix. More brat flavors than you could imagine. Unfortunately, despite being just a state away, they aren't stocked locally here in my part of Iowa, so it's cheaper for me to buy the LEM and Hi Mtn stuff at the local ranch store. PS has 1# conversion recipes for all their mixes online, so if you can round your batch to the nearest #, it's easy to adjust the recipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I haven’t bought ground beef in 5 years. I think I have it down to a science with my kids being with me 50% of the time…2 deer a year is plenty! Spaghetti, shepherds pie, bacon wrapped tenderloins, burgers, and occasional meatloaf are usually 2 or 3 dinners and leftovers a week. My freezer is usually about 80% venison and the rest seafood I get myself. I prefer not to freeze fish. Between the Ohio woods and fish, scallops, etc, from the Gulf of Mexico, I get at least half of my meals per week from my hobbies!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
With just the two of us at home, there is a limit on how much wild game we can eat. Luckily, my wife loves it all (especially fish), so if we have it we will have game 3-5 times a week. Unfortunately, our local deer numbers have dropped off a cliff, and another killer winter is doing its best to continue that trend. This past year, we polished off the last of 2 elk that had hidden out in the bottom of the freezer. My only deer now is a small buck that I tenderized with my pickup, and a couple meals of mt. lion. With two Canada fishing trips and living on a lake, we will maximize our fish intake as much as possible. Here's to holding out hopes for two elk tags for this fall.
About 20 years ago I had 603# of bison, one elk, deer, 30 pheasant, grouse, fish, rabbits, etc. to get myself outside of. We likely gave half of it away, but is was all gone a year later.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
This.

I have ordered from them as well and been very pleased with their stuff. I make fresh Polish and Hungarian sausage from ground pork with their respective mixes. Delicious. When they run a reduced or free shipping special, I stock up. They have a very broad line of flavors. One of the few out there with a true Hungarian sausage mix. More brat flavors than you could imagine. Unfortunately, despite being just a state away, they aren't stocked locally here in my part of Iowa, so it's cheaper for me to buy the LEM and Hi Mtn stuff at the local ranch store. PS has 1# conversion recipes for all their mixes online, so if you can round your batch to the nearest #, it's easy to adjust the recipe.
This.

That curley sausage seasonings is located in fairbank iowa. Not sure if the place has a storefront or online only but might be worth checking out to see if you like to buy somewhat local.

Reactions: Prerylyon