How do you carry your optics when bowhunting elk?

ckink65284

Aug 28, 2012
Colorado
I am looking to find out how you guys carry your rangefinder and binoculars when bowhunting elk. I haven't found a system I am totally happy with yet. Looking for ideas.

Currently, my S4 lockdowns work fine for the binos, just haven't found a satisfactory way to carry my rangefinders yet.

Last edited:

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Ill be moving from the S4 system to the FHF gear harness combo for both bino and rangefinder. Have heard great things and am looking forward to giving it a shot...I originally liked the S4, but realize they still really seem to ride up on my neck on my back which annoys the hell out of me with a pack on. So im hoping the FHF does the trick

rfagar

Jun 28, 2016
I tried a number of rigs settling on FHFgear for binos and range finder. Modular system...ur might at least look at their range finder pouch. Their system is compact, sits high and close to chest, quiet. Worth a look. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TLowell02

Apr 16, 2015
Sedan, NM
I use the FHF system as well for my binos and rangefinder and love it. It stays tight to my chest, is never in the way and securely keeps all its contents.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
FHF here as well. The range finder pouch is awesome with a tether. I had to stuff some papertowels in the bottom of mine because it was a little hard to get out. Stuffing them in the bottom popped the range finder out of the top a little and makes it super easy to get out.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I keep range finder in my big pocket on thigh. my old kelty back pack had attachments for binos that worked awesome, I wonder why more packs don't do that.for now I'm happy with s4 but fhf might join me this year

Bughalli

Jan 15, 2012
Ironically I use FHF as well, it just had the features I wanted without much extra. Very happy with it thus far. I use the bino harness, range finder pouch and GPS pouch. Takes a little getting used to (opening/closing without looking). I really like their lanyards as well. They work really well with the range finder. The Alaskan Guide harnesses are pretty nice as well, but I never physically got my hands on one.

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
I use a Sitka Bino harness - it rides close to the chest, won't open up because it can zip or has a magnet closure at the top also. I keep it 3/4 zipped then can open it easily and often when hunting. If it rains or snows or I'm on a dusty trail or 4 wheeler, I zip it completely closed and my Swaro binos are out of the dirt/elements. I use a Cherry Hill range finder holder that clips perfectly and securely on the side of my harness. It is fast and easy to use and is always close. When hunting, and close to animals, I can return the rangefinder to the holder or just stuff it on top of the binos if I need to make a quick shot after ranging. Cherryhillsoutdoors.com - the holder is only 14$ plus shipping. Here is a picture of the holder and then my harness when hunting.

rf_holder22.jpg20140919_095900crop.jpg

zeroforhire

Apr 23, 2016
I use an Alaska guide creations chest rig. My rangefinder fits perfectly in the front pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeroforhire

Apr 23, 2016
I use a Sitka Bino harness - it rides close to the chest, won't open up because it can zip or has a magnet closure at the top also. I keep it 3/4 zipped then can open it easily and often when hunting. If it rains or snows or I'm on a dusty trail or 4 wheeler, I zip it completely closed and my Swaro binos are out of the dirt/elements. I use a Cherry Hill range finder holder that clips perfectly and securely on the side of my harness. It is fast and easy to use and is always close. When hunting, and close to animals, I can return the rangefinder to the holder or just stuff it on top of the binos if I need to make a quick shot after ranging. Cherryhillsoutdoors.com - the holder is only 14$ plus shipping. Here is a picture of the holder and then my harness when hunting.

View attachment 16715View attachment 16716
Thanks! I just picked one of these up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I have the FHF bino and range finder harness. Can't really add anything that everyone else above has already stated. It's worth the extra money, and is FAR better than the S4 system.
I bought my brother the Alaska Guide harness, and it seems very nice, but we've not put it through any real world tests yet.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I was set on the FHF...but they have been out of stock on what I need for 2 months. .so I went ahead and ordered an Alaska guide creations pack from black Ovis which has great deals on them right now. ..I'm pretty excited for it. .I prefer to not have a pack when stalking etc.. and will be able to carry a lot of what I need in the extra pockets the AGC offers. I'll report back once I get some mountain time in with it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Camelcluch

Jul 16, 2016
I use a Kuiu harness with a FHF rf pouch. If I was not using that, I would be using the Alaskan Guide Creations.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
on my rifle and in my eyesockets.lol jus kiddin round.
I generally just carry my binos in my hand or round my neck. never found a harness that I felt was any more comfortable.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I just got back from my first scouting trip to the Wyoming high country searching for big bucks...I can honestly say, the Alaska Guide Creations pack is hands down the best optic system I have used. It has all the right pockets for what i want to carry right there in reach, along with just being flat out comfortable and easy as hell to get in and out of. I have gone through a lot of different systems through the years, because it was pretty common to have binos around my neck for 60+ days a fall, and I can say I sure wish i would have seen these a long time ago. I dont see myself changing from the AGC for a long time. It rode great while I was wearing a 40-50lb pack and never moved up on my neck and was incredibly comfortable in all situations

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
mntnguide, i'll be going with the AGC system also but still undecided between the Kodiak Cub with or without the max pocket. Did you go with the max pocket and if so what are your thoughts.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
mntnguide, i'll be going with the AGC system also but still undecided between the Kodiak Cub with or without the max pocket. Did you go with the max pocket and if so what are your thoughts.
I have the X50 classic with Max pocket..I use 10×45 zeiss rfs...so I went with the larger bag. I'm definitely happy I got the max pocket. I'll be able to carry everything I would want for a full day of antelope, or a stalk on a highcountry Buck or bull that could end up in a full day event like they sometimes do. The pockets to me do not seem bulky at all, and I personally like the ability to bring some extra things with me and not have to have my full pack on. .being the larger size bag, it still feels compact when I have it on and it doesn't interfere at all when shooting my bow which I have been doing every night

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk