How big?

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I believe the minimum to make B&C book is 80", but I could be wrong. This buck has good bottoms but weak tops so I would guess him around the mid 60s.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I would guess a bit higher then the rest. But he looses so much in mass and length passed the prongs. Still not even close to B&C.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
80" for B&C Awards & 82" on Alltime Book for antelope. I also think that with what appears to be pretty good mass measurements that he's better than most think and may come close to 70", but a couple better pictures would help a lot.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Here is the pic rotated. The buck has nice mass in the tips, high cutters, but the length is not there, the cutters are short and the mass is average. The buck is no where near 80". I'm thinking low 70's.

Last edited:

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
He might be better than we think if he curls in significantly, based on the photo though I have a hard time stretching him past 13.5 or so, which is short. Might have 6 inch prongs and 6 inch bases, even with those generous measurments I have a hard time getting him much over 70 inches, I'm thinking right around 70. Could be borderline Pope and Young, minimum there is 67 inches. Would be a good archery trophy.

Jul 24, 2011
He might be better than we think if he curls in significantly, based on the photo though I have a hard time stretching him past 13.5 or so, which is short. Might have 6 inch prongs and 6 inch bases, even with those generous measurments I have a hard time getting him much over 70 inches, I'm thinking right around 70. Could be borderline Pope and Young, minimum there is 67 inches. Would be a good archery trophy.
I would be hunting him on an OTC archery tag on public land. I judge him as 66-68 and was just wondering what everyone else thought. I have 2 bigger bucks I am looking at, but they spent a lot of time on private.

Last edited:

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
A majority of guesses on goats tend to fall short of actual score (that's just my experience). It's just a number. However, Just based on the picture and scoring lots of goats, I'd give that one 11" horns. That's 22". I'd give him 3" of prong on each side, and 5" bases. I'd go 5 1/5" on the d2, and 3" and 2" on the d3 and 4 (generously). 22+6+10+11+6+4=59". You can call him 13 or 14" long if you want to, but I just don't see it. You can also inflate the mass a bit, but not by much. He may scoot toward 65", but there's just no getting that goat to 70". Kill him and prove me wrong!

eblondheim

Apr 4, 2011
I'm thinking around low to mid-60's, I'd take him as my first goat any day! Season starts tomorrow here for me and my first antelope tag! Woot woot!

Last edited: