Homemade digiscoping adapters

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I have a Sony RX100m3 and would like to figure out a way to attach it to my Vortex Razor spotter to get some pictures while scouting. They make some high dollar adapters but I would like to try making something cheaper before I decide to spend the money. A friend of mine knows a machinist that might be able to try to make something for me. Has anyone ever made a homemade adapter that works decent and would be willing to share how you made it?

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Are you wanting to use a full size camera, pocket size point and shoot, or a cell phone?

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I made 1 from a piece of ABS pipe and bolted a piece of 1/8'' steel on it and another bolt in the steel attaches to the camera. I split the top of the ABS pipe so I could stretch it out a bit to go on the spotter. It kinda works ok but I wouldnt say I have my design perfected yet ;)

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
As ScottR stated PVC fittings, I watched a guy in Yellowstone several years ago with several different sized pvc fiitings and pipe about 2 inch or so attached to his Zeiss spotter taking pictures through the lense that you would put your eye up to look through. Just figure the outside diameter of the eyepiece and adapt through either extra fittings and or small pieces of pvc to fit the outer portion of the lense on your camera. As MM posted a small bolt adapted on to hold the camera. An electric remote for your camera makes it even better then you do not bump it pushing the button to take the picture. Good luck and God bless

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
The threads on the bottom of your camera (if it has a threaded female tripod mount) are 1/4"x20. PVC to go over the eyepiece of the spotter. Attach some aluminum strap to it with small screws and put a 1/4"x20 bolt in that to attach your camera. Might need to make an L out of the aluminum to get the mounting screw for your camera in the right spot to line up the lens with the eyepiece on the spotter.

clementperron

Mar 3, 2015
great homemade adapter

I have a Sony RX100m3 and would like to figure out a way to attach it to my Vortex Razor spotter to get some pictures while scouting. They make some high dollar adapters but I would like to try making something cheaper before I decide to spend the money. A friend of mine knows a machinist that might be able to try to make something for me. Has anyone ever made a homemade adapter that works decent and would be willing to share how you made it?
look my homemade adaptor
http://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php/topic,213692.25.html

I use a plumber foam to squeeze inside the pipe
I glue the pvc pipe on 52-49mm stepdown ring (It the size for my leica 8x20)
I insert the leica and snap to RX100
I paint a nice landscape to have good looking :)))))))

Have fun

Last edited: