Home From Wyoming Antelope & Deer Hunt

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
Do you have a Unit 90 deer tag?
No I don't. My tag is for #34. I did not make it though. My truck broke down in Ely,Nv. and I spent 5 days there and $1200 in repairs and towing. Pretty much all my trip allowance. Wife was not feeling well, so just came home... now if I just had another 10 years to draw again...

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Great story
SUNDAY Sept 29
Left home at 5:00 am with my 2 hunting buddies from California. Everything went well until we got to Meeker, then the wind started. Pretty miserable drive the rest of the way to Waltman, Wy. Saw lots of antelope on the way, looks like the rut is on. My cargo trailer containing the sxs & quad and most of our gear was really moving around in the wind. Got the key to our mobile that we were using and unpacked. Getting everything ready to begin hunting tomorrow.

MONDAY Sept 30.
Left about 7:00 am and didn't get 2 miles down the road until we started seeing lots of goats. Took a 2 track into a walk-in area and one of my buddies Todd spotted a nice buck he wanted. Stalked about 300 yards and setup. One shot from his .308 at about 250 yards and we are now 1 for 1. Got it gutted and back to the side by side and started down the 2 track again. Another 1/4 mile and my other pal Ken picked out a buck he wanted and did a 400 yard stalk. One shot from his new 7mm short mag and 300 yds and we are 2 for 2. This is Ken's first antelope and he is stoked! Wow ...hunted a half and hour and 2 pretty good bucks. Took them back to camp and got them skinned, quartered and on ice.
View attachment 28382
Ken 's buck
View attachment 28383
Todd and Ken

We had lunch and decided to look at the area I would be hunting deer on opening day, Tuesday, Oct 1. Went 17 miles in the sxs and Ken on the quad. Started snowing and windy, made it pretty miserable. Got to the area I wanted to Hunt and it was so cloudy with snow, couldn't see 50 yards. Got off the mountain and started back to camp. I knew an area I wanted to look at for my antelope. Took a 2 track and started seeing lots of bucks. I saw one I liked and stalked and crawled to the top od a small knob about 250 yards away. Laid down and dropped a nice buck at 300 yds with my trusty old 25-06. Now 3 for 3 on the first day....oh yes, only 3 shots fired by all of us.
Back to camp and had him skinned and quartered by dark. A libation or 2 and homemade enchiladas and the celebration was on!
View attachment 28384
My buck.

TUESDAY
Opening day of deer season. Up at 4:30 and after breakfast, drove the 17 miles to the hunt area. Wind blowing 25 and sleet in our faces. Stayed for a hour and couldn't see at all. Decided to go back to our antelope area so the guys could fill their does tags. Got that done and had dinner. Tomorrow is another deer day.

WEDNESDAY
Left camp again at 4:30 am. Got up on the mountain and solid fog. Stayed 5 hours and it never lifted. Went to a couple of other areas I knew held deer. Saw does and a couple of small bucks.

THURSDAY
Another 4:30 am morning. Sunny and clear....whoopee! We eased up to the saddle I knew held the deer I was looking for. It was still very windy, probably 30+, it was going to make shooting a little tough. I looked down in the canyon that I had always seen buck in and there were 7 feeding. 5 smaller and 2 real monsters. They were 375 yards away on my range finder. I settled on the biggest one, I estimated 30" + and at least a 200" buck. I squeezed one off and I could not see a bullet strike and neither could my buddies that were glassing them. I shot again with the same results. They were hauling ass out of the area now, so no more shots. I was pretty bummed out. I had missed the biggest buck I had ever seen and had a shot at! I saw several small forkies and does, I could have filled my e/s tag, but just couldn't do it with these small deer after the giant I had missed.

Friday

Drove home. Windy again!

All in all a great time. I spent my 13 NR points on deer, so I will probably never get to hunt deer in that unit again. Boy what a buck! It was a tough shot, but I had to give it a go, Without the wind, I probably would be going to the Taxi today to get it mounted. That's hunting.........
Great story man! I'm sure not getting that buck was a heart breaker, but what a great opportunity to see such a critter....hard to come by!

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Congratulations on your antelope.

Wow one heck of a bad deal on that buck. Would have loved to seen him!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
No I don't. My tag is for #34. I did not make it though. My truck broke down in Ely,Nv. and I spent 5 days there and $1200 in repairs and towing. Pretty much all my trip allowance. Wife was not feeling well, so just came home... now if I just had another 10 years to draw again...
That makes me sick to hear. Hope you get lucky in the draw and pull another great tag that you get to hunt soon!