High Country Muleys Who's In?

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
If we are lucky enough to draw a tag we will be bow or muzzy in hand. My buddy from Texas asked me to be in his wedding September 15th, so that isn't exactly ideal for muzzy. Don't they know September is for hunting and not marrying?

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Have you guys seen a large increase in high country hunters over the past few years? Guys in "your area"? Seems to be getting a lot more popular among hunters...
I might resemble that remark a little. Seems to be across the board. Lots of interest in all kinds of western big game hunting. Just seems to be the thing to do right now; well advertised online and multimedia. Tags are getting harder to draw, in some cases. For me, maybe its something of a mid life crisis? Spend my 1 week in the rockies, living in a leanto and eating ramen noodles, chasing a unicorn... [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
I might resemble that remark a little. Seems to be across the board. Lots of interest in all kinds of western big game hunting. Just seems to be the thing to do right now; well advertised online and multimedia. Tags are getting harder to draw, in some cases. For me, maybe its something of a mid life crisis? Spend my 1 week in the rockies, living in a leanto and eating ramen noodles, chasing a unicorn... [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Oh I'm all in favor of guys getting back in there and enjoying that style of hunting. It's my favorite too. Just curious how everyone else sees this trend going too. Is it a fad that will pass or will we start to see fewer road hunters and day hikers as they all begin to backpack in.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I did my first high country hunt in 1992 and since then yes high country hunts are becoming more popular. Not the good old days anymore.. Some folks I think see the pics on social media and get a bit of a romantic misconception about what one of these hunts is. The basins are big and the elevation is high so with a pack on your back it can take a long time to get to where deer live much less find em as the numbers are low when compared to the vastness of the country. Honestly with out a lot of scouting year in and year out even the best units are a long shot to find a buck over 180". Or something to plan on is that the same basins look good to a lot of folks on google earth so when you do pack in most times there will be other hunters in "good" looking basins

Hunters seem to be gettin better at finding then targeting the bigger bucks and I now plan on having other hunters on a buck I have scouted so I adjust tactics as needed. Guys are scouting more. Outfitters are also taking joeys where guests did not want to go not too long ago or selling the basins that hold bucks.. Internet fame of units/basins have sunk more than one ship..

One outfitter in a particular block of units seems to think any deer is their joeys 1st and everyone else should just wait to hunt til they hold thier clients hand long enough to tag before anyone else hunts.. Yea laughable. Just the nature of the game but it seems you have to have 2-3 bucks to chase as plan a turns into plan b,c,d real quick. I think it is easy to find informaiton combinded with better equipment/optics/maps that get folks out there quicker. Going farther does not always = less hunters/more deer.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Oh I'm all in favor of guys getting back in there and enjoying that style of hunting. It's my favorite too. Just curious how everyone else sees this trend going too. Is it a fad that will pass or will we start to see fewer road hunters and day hikers as they all begin to backpack in.
Most folks are too lazy to pack and very far in for very long. I won't deny there's been a slight increase but I don't think it will be a drastic change going forward. I don't put much stock in mankind LOL. most to roadrunners until the end ��

NewToCali

Jun 2, 2018
Twentynine Palms CA
Hopefully this thread is still active, question for the seasoned vet's in regards to Mule deer in the high country.

In the west (I'm located in SoCal) is there a general elevation that mule deer tend to hang out at? I understand that this can likely be effected a great deal by food sources (which I am still trying to figure out), hunting pressure, and surely many other variables. Straight to the point, I am willing to put forth the effort to get to any elev necessary (the area I hunt top's out at around 11,500) to have a CHANCE at a mature deer, is it possible that I would end up higher than the deer?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Most folks are too lazy to pack and very far in for very long. I won't deny there's been a slight increase but I don't think it will be a drastic change going forward. I don't put much stock in mankind LOL. most to roadrunners until the end ��
that's true for sure.

with the next generation of snowflakes coming to age , I expect all physical labor to soon come to a crashing stop.

in fact, I predict that those few left actually willing to work will have great success, because of lack of competition.

I do not speak only of hunting either.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Hopefully this thread is still active, question for the seasoned vet's in regards to Mule deer in the high country.

In the west (I'm located in SoCal) is there a general elevation that mule deer tend to hang out at? I understand that this can likely be effected a great deal by food sources (which I am still trying to figure out), hunting pressure, and surely many other variables. Straight to the point, I am willing to put forth the effort to get to any elev necessary (the area I hunt top's out at around 11,500) to have a CHANCE at a mature deer, is it possible that I would end up higher than the deer?

you might, they will be where they choose to be.

but , if you are above them . you can still glass them and stalk them.

if you do end up on the ridge top .take care not to skyline yourself.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
that's true for sure.

with the next generation of snowflakes coming to age , I expect all physical labor to soon come to a crashing stop.

in fact, I predict that those few left actually willing to work will have great success, because of lack of competition.

I do not speak only of hunting either.
This is what I tell my kids all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

Big bucks hang out in the lowest and highest extremes of what is considered mule deer country. Throw elevation out, go to the places with lowest human activity, cover, and glass the tar out of them.

NewToCali

Jun 2, 2018
Twentynine Palms CA
Big bucks hang out in the lowest and highest extremes of what is considered mule deer country. Throw elevation out, go to the places with lowest human activity, cover, and glass the tar out of them.
I will likely be adjusting my original plans this Oct, just going to try and get as far away from trails and people as I possibly can!
Thanks for the advice!

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Anybody have any success? I saw some good ones but didn't get an arrow in any of em.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I have not killed yet... Been great year short of a kill. Chased some absolute studs around but just not worked out yet. Getting harder by the day as bucks are getting pushed and killed. Going elk hunting this weekend. Hope to have the last 4 days to give it one more shot.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Ive had a heck of a summer. Found a lot of great bucks, but 1 giant has my entire attention. Watched him bounce away at 90 yards on Sunday morning which was a heart breaker.. then my bow proceeded to break yesterday after an unfortunate incident where the string popped off the cam after hooking on something and released my cams like a dry fire ruining them.. so now I'm just hoping i can get on him on rifle opener Saturday but i know im not the only person chasing him. It's great chasing a giant, but I'm so focused on him I'm passing on 180-190 class bucks. Just need rifle to get here and see how it plays out! Here's a couple good bucks that I'm hoping make it till next year and hit that giant category...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
Yep, I'll be up there somewhere. I haven't put the scouting time in I would have liked and I could be in better shape, and I'm checking out a new area for me. So this should be fun lol

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
mntnuide, nice work finding that (those)buck(s)
Knowing that your familiar with unit 148, have you been back in that area at all this year and do you have any words of wisdom ?
Ive been watching weather reports for that area and the closest I can get is Moran. I assume nothing has happened weather related to start them moving ?
Ill be flying blind til we hit the trailhead next week.

Its been years (late 80's &early 90s) since Ive been in that part of the world, since before the weather of a few years ago hit the deer hard. I had seen some real beauties on the years I didnt have or had already filled my buck tag. Most were along the divide or slightly east of the divide. My tag this year is general for the area west of teh divide. Deer are #2 on the list this trip ...but I have hopes !

Cheers and good luck ....keep your head down...openers can be dicey !