Help with Binoc purchase

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
OK, so here is my situation. I opted out of upgrading my bow, backpack and sleeping bag over the past couple years to save up for a pair of high quality glass.

My hunting style;

-Backpacking away from the truck is my ideal world, although I do glass from the pickup occasionally for pronghorn/mule deer

-Lighter weight gear is preferred

-Im not a long range hunter, so I need to close to the distance with a rifle

-I do archery hunt and will likely pick it up more

-I have a Vortex Razor 11-33x50 spotter, I often pack it in with me.

Here is what I am looking at, my price range WAS $1,500 max.

Vortex 10x42 Razor HD

Swarovski 10x42 SLC

After long consideration about the quality and investment I decided to look at the SLC and up my budget. Well, once I went into that price range I discovered the 10x42 EL and EL Range. Way over my price point, BUT I am willing to sell a kidney to possibly consider them as a purchase.

I love the idea of range finder/binoc combo. However, I have read that close ranging is not always possible. So that is a MAJOR drawback, as archery hunting gets the most range finder use from me.

Im not dead set on range finding binocs, but if Im do purchase some EL's I figured the few extra hundred bucks might be worth it.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas, sadly I am not in a area where I can go and look through multiple pairs. Also, Im not stuck on 10x42 but research leads me to believe these are the best bet for my style of hunting. I have an old pair of Nikon 10x50 but they are so obsolete its not worth mentioing.

I should add that I will try to add a stud to use these binocs on my tripod.

Thanks for any help/ideas you guys have. Like I said, Im not set on these specifics just narrowed them down.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I bought a pair of Vortex 10x42 last year ($219.00). They are the best glass I have ever owned... But I've never spent huge money so my comparisons are based on cheaper glass. I did compare them to some much higher priced glass while on hunts last year and all agreed they were at a minimum equal or better. You can buy a set of those and upgrade your bow and be money ahead... just my 2cents.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
I bought a pair of Vortex 10x42 last year ($219.00). They are the best glass I have ever owned... But I've never spent huge money so my comparisons are based on cheaper glass. I did compare them to some much higher priced glass while on hunts last year and all agreed they were at a minimum equal or better. You can buy a set of those and upgrade your bow and be money ahead... just my 2cents.
Just about anything is a upgrade for me, haha. A few years back I looked through a pair of Liecas and was amazed at the quality. My vortex spotter is super nice as well. I have just read so much good about the EL's and have worked hard to save that I want to spend my money wisely.

I just might make a road trip to Cabelas to see for myself, if all else fails it will be like insurance on my buying.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I bought my son a pair of vortex 10x42 talons for around $450 very nice glass. I use Sawro 10x42's. Vortexs glass is Very clear, warranty simply the best! My thoughts. If I ever buy another set of bino's they will be range finding though.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
My grandpaw has had a pair of the Leica range finding binos for around 10 years. They have always worked flawlessly, but are a little heavy in my opinion. I am a fan of 8x32 and 10x32 for their light weight. Can't go wrong with vortex, Leica, or Swarovski. I have a pair of 8x33 kowa genesis binoculars given to me as a gift a while back. Very good glass but I have no idea if they have a warranty or not. They are small, light, and don't give me a neck ache hauling them around. If I was going to buy a new pair, I would get the 10x32 Leica or Swarovski. Have fun shopping!!!

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I have zeiss RF binos...great for when I made a living looking through them. .if I ever got rid of them, I would go with the best vortex HD Bino in 10x42...I still have a leupold rangefinder for archery hunting. .binos are a pain when trying to move very minimal as a bull comes screaming in. ..I would personally not go below a 10x42 for what you are wanting them for...human eyes gather light at about a 2.8-3.0, to get the light gathering ability of a Bino, u divide the objective and eye power. ..so a 10x32 gathers a 3.2 score making it barely above ur own eye which is not to helpful in low light/early morning/last light scenarios, whereas a 10x42 will gather a full 10x the amount of light as that with a 4.2. . Just food for thought. .my binos are 10x45, and I definitely notice it at first light.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

robie

Feb 27, 2013
Houston, TX
I was in the same boat and bought a used pair of EL 10x42's on eBay. Swarovski has a lifetime warranty on their products and will take care of you even if not the first owner. I had an issue with the rubber coming off my eye cups and wanted to buy a new set, the emailed back saying the rubber shouldn't come off and mailed me a new set for free. I emailed them before I bought them and they verified that the serial number is clean, not stolen.

Normally the first gen EL's go for $1000 to $1300 depending on the condition. Right now they are going for more because of the time of year. Just a note if you buy the older set look for binos made 2005 and newer. They changed the focus knob in 2005 to make it faster focus.

You will read a lot of different opinions on the older EL's vs the newer set with HD glass. I decided it wasn't worth the extra cost of the HD's.

You will read a lot about the big 3, Leica, Zeiss and Swaro. For me it came down to everyone was comparing their glass against the Swaros, saying they are better or equal in a certain category. I'm sure the others are great but for the same price as a new pair of Vortex Razor's I could get a used set of Swaros, made it an easy decision for me.

Only reason I would ever get rid of these would be for a pair of EL Range.

Pair on eBay

I, like Mtn. Hunter, went with the Zeiss RF binoculars. Had the Vortex 10x42 HD Razors and they are indeed very good bino's. I wanted to combine optical quality with range finding ability in one unit. I'm very pleased with the Zeiss RF bino's as they met my expectations. I was able to purchase a set of demo's with full warranty at a substantial reduced priced. When the bino RF's arrived you could not tell them from New as all packaging, etc. was included.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
. I am a fan of 8x32 and 10x32 for their light weight. Can't go wrong with vortex, Leica, or Swarovski. I have a pair of 8x33 kowa genesis binoculars given to me as a gift a while back.
I know I'm in the minority here but I also like 8x32 for their size, weight etc. and don't feel I need the extra 2 power of a 10x. I mostly use binoculars to scan the terrain and find the game. When I spot game I estimate if it looks like a good one. If I need further detail I use a spotting scope.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I use Minox HG 8.5x43 binos. High quality, very compact and 22 oz. Have beat them to death for about 10 years, still going strong.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Tons of great info guys! Im leaning more toward the new SLC right now. I hope to get a test drive on them soon and compare them to others in the same price point.

Im straying away from the Range due to warranty issues, unless Im wrong about this please correct me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have owned a pair of 10x42 EL's for many years. I got them the first year they started making EL's. It seemed like a hell of alot of money to spend on binos at the time but its quite possibly the best money I ever spent. Im sure you would be happy with them!

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
OK, so I found a pair of 10x42 EL Demos for $1,999.00. Thats $200 more than new slc's. Man they are making this tough on me.

Guess thats why we have two kidneys right?

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Well after doing some more research I would need to get a stud attached to use with a tripod. After shipping back n forth and install I would be saving approx $150 vs buying brand new.

Next question; are the EL that much better than the SLC? Like $500 better? Im hoping Cabelas will have both for me to look through.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Well after doing some more research I would need to get a stud attached to use with a tripod. After shipping back n forth and install I would be saving approx $150 vs buying brand new.

Next question; are the EL that much better than the SLC? Like $500 better? Im hoping Cabelas will have both for me to look through.

There are other ways to use with a tripod, I have one kit that basically velcros around the bino's. Keep that in mind

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I dont think the EL's are better glass then the SCL's but the EL's are lighter and a bit smaller. They are nice if you are packing them alot or a long ways. I dont remember the price difference when I bought mine but I decided they were worth the extra money at the time.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
I dont think the EL's are better glass then the SCL's but the EL's are lighter and a bit smaller. They are nice if you are packing them alot or a long ways. I dont remember the price difference when I bought mine but I decided they were worth the extra money at the time.
According to specs the new ELs weigh 29.6oz and SLCs 28oz. So the weight difference now is irrelevant. It appears the biggest factor is the field flattener lense in the EL. So is it worth the extra $500 to go with the ELs? Im thinking maybe not but Im going to talk with a rep here in a few hours and ask their opinion, hopefully its an honest one...

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Im not even sure they knew what a field flattener lense was when I got mine. lol. I thought the weight difference was more then? Is there somewhere near you that you can go and get your hands on both of them? That could help you decide. When it comes down to it both are great binos and Im sure you would be happy with either.