Help me decide. Model 7 caliber change.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
The 6.5 is virtually what I have (260 REM). I am currently debating a re-barrel to 1-8 twist and keep the 260 caliber, going 7-08 or 308 Win.
Understood but my thinking was more along the lines of a fun rebarrel project and doing something different. There's not a deer on the planet that can tell the difference between any of the above mentioned cartridges.

The 6.5 is virtually what I have (260 REM). I am currently debating a re-barrel to 1-8 twist and keep the 260 caliber, going 7-08 or 308 Win.
I just recently had a Ruger RL tanger rebarreled to .260 Rem. I specified an 8 twist, in case I decided on larger projectiles. It shoots 120 TTSXs so well, I'll probably leave it at that. I've shot a lot of game with a 7-08 and 120 TTSXs, and have been very impressed with their performance and lack of meat damage. I haven't used them on elk yet, but others use them quite successfully. Point being, if you haven't already tried them, you could save a lot of money.

Reactions: THelms

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
As a hedge against any more component "shortages", real or perceived, I have put together three guns that will handle anything in North America. All are based on Encore actions. All are based on the 30/06 case. Calibers are 25/06, 30/06, and .35 Whelen Improved. All three utilize the same 30/06 parent case. All three can utilize the same powder (4350). I only have to worry about bullets of which I have an ample supply of Nosler "seconds". In a pinch I can cast them. If any of the Encores break down, and i do not have a needed part, in can borrow it from one of the others.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
^^ That works, but if you really want to consolidate your calibers the 30/06 will handle anything in North America (although its little light for brown bears).
When I was thinking of a brown bear hunt up in Alaska I was talking to a few guides. Most of them said that they would be perfectly happy with me bringing a 06 with some 200 or 220 grain Nosler Partitions loaded up. They also said that they would rather a person show up with a rifle that they knew and could shoot instead of a rifle that they were afraid of the recoil when they pulled the trigger.

Reactions: Winchester

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I agree Jim.
220 grain Noslers will take care of a 30-06 being a “little light” for Brown Bear and make it quite serviceable. If you’re willing to load up like that a 30-06 will take care of anything in North America if you really want to consolidate your calibers.

But it sure is fun having other calibers to choose from !

Reactions: dan maule

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I'd either keep it a .260 or have it rebarreled/ rebored to .308. Ain't a nickels worth of differnce between the .260/7-08 or the 6.5 creed that a critter will notice.