Help in choosing which AZ Unit Archery Elk

Which Unit would you choose

• Total voters

jschaffer

Jan 25, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
I am hoping some of you may be able to help. I am going to cash in my points and try and draw archery elk in AZ this year. As a NR, I have 16 points, and while Unit 1 was my choice, point creep keeps pushing me just out of the running. So I have been encouraged to look at either 5BN (or possibly 5BS) because of the hunt dates this year, or 27 or possibly 3B. still Debating whether to go DIY or guided. My nod is to 5BN as I am looking for a bit better accessible country and solid elk number with a shot at a respectable bull.

Anyone have experience with these units and willing to share their thoughts? Which unit would you hunt if you were in my shoes? Any reservations on either of these units? Recommendations for outfitters?

Thanks!

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I am hoping some of you may be able to help. I am going to cash in my points and try and draw archery elk in AZ this year. As a NR, I have 16 points, and while Unit 1 was my choice, point creep keeps pushing me just out of the running. So I have been encouraged to look at either 5BN (or possibly 5BS) because of the hunt dates this year, or 27 or possibly 3B. still Debating whether to go DIY or guided. My nod is to 5BN as I am looking for a bit better accessible country and solid elk number with a shot at a respectable bull.

Anyone have experience with these units and willing to share their thoughts? Which unit would you hunt if you were in my shoes? Any reservations on either of these units? Recommendations for outfitters?

Thanks!
You may want to do some research before looking for advice. ie; Look at maps showing Reservations or
do you mean "reservations"? 〽💥

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I voted, just so I could exercise my rights in a free country.
Seriously though, don't let a bunch of people that have never been there decide.
Call every biologist, warden, outfitters, anyone whos had the tag, call sporting goods stores that are in the units. 16 points are way to many to burn not to spend a lot of time researching.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Here are the NR draw odds from 2019 sorted by bonus points to draw. Draw odds are a good starting point when sorting out top units, but other factors do come into play, such as trending units that applicants at large aren't tracking or in this case hunts that have no tag in the bonus pass that are the best hunts in the state.

Reactions: Maxhunter

jschaffer

Jan 25, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
mu
I voted, just so I could exercise my rights in a free country.
Seriously though, don't let a bunch of people that have never been there decide.
Call every biologist, warden, outfitters, anyone whos had the tag, call sporting goods stores that are in the units. 16 points are way to many to burn not to spend a lot of time researching.
I agree, and much appreciated. This post (and a few others on different forums) are part of that research. Hoping to try and triangulate all of it to come to a solid decisions.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
One thing I might try is finding out the amount of hunters being drawn for the area you choose.
When I hunted the 5b areas there were a lot of hunters,and folks tagging along with them.
Made for crowded conditions. 〽💥

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I live in the heart of 3B.....and spend a lot of time in nearby units was well. Out of the ones you listed, 27 would be a no brainer.