Hello from Oregon

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I'm an experienced rifle hunter of western big game, spent most of my time living in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. Have hunted 11 ish states and provinces, some guided, most DIY. Have enjoyed hunting everything from sage rats up to and including moose. Mule deer and antelope are my favorites. I'm new to Forums, have been viewing as a guest and finally decided to join and contribute. I hunt less myself and take my kids, younger brother and nephews more these days. Take the wife if I can promise her warm dry weather and lots of game... Love to chase Spring/Fall Salmon and Steelhead, and with the runs we are having now, it can get in the way of hunting. Biggest plan now is Sheep in WY for 2015. Have a guaranteed tag due to a medical issue that prevented me from hunting my tag in 2014. Working on burning points all over as I am tired of point creep and cost creep of the points. Look forward to offering assistance and getting some too.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to EF, I hear ya on that point creep/cost issue, it's frustrating! Good luck on your sheep hunt.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Welcome to the forum Tim! Best of luck on your sheep hunt! Would love to see the pictures after the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Welcome to the forum Tim. Looking forward to your contributions! By the way can you do something about the politics over there in the "Ditch"? It is killing us in Oregon!! LOL!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Welcome to the forum Tim. Looking forward to your contributions! By the way can you do something about the politics over there in the "Ditch"? It is killing us in Oregon!! LOL!
I wish Iron Mike, unfortunately I am out numbered by the "Keep Portland Weird" folks. I just ignore them as much as possible while I go about collecting organic free range ultra low fat locally sourced renewable red protein matter. It goes over better than telling em I hunt for the families red meat. I could tell you stories of how covert I am bringing animals to the house to process and some funny stories about folks comments when they see me. Salmon/Steelhead/Crab don't seem to bother their sensibilities. I live just south of "The Peoples Republik of Portland", but get enough of it's nonsense in a week to last a lifetime.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Timberstalker, you are indeed lucky to live on the right side of the mountains. I've had to hang a few in my boat shed, where they can be seen. Gets comical when I do. Usually so moist here they get covertly processed quickly the day of or day after I get home. I got busted as I took an Antelope quarter out of the cooler while parked in front of my house in 2013. Thought the coast was clear, got the meat, turned and there was a lady standing there on the sidewalk with her ankle biter dog scowling at me. "What's that?" she basically yelled. I said sorry, I just got back with this antelope, it's how I feed my family. She wrinkles her nose, lifts it and says "I guess it is Ok because it was free range!". I said yes mam it was, and got out of sight. I could have told her some tall tales, but did not want her to call the police. It is often weird here for guys like me.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
There's strange folk on the east side too Tim. Just not as many I guess. I recall butchering a deer on the tail gate of my pick up in Redmond when I first moved to CO. I got plenty of strange looks from the neighbors.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Timberstalker, you are indeed lucky to live on the right side of the mountains. I've had to hang a few in my boat shed, where they can be seen. Gets comical when I do. Usually so moist here they get covertly processed quickly the day of or day after I get home. I got busted as I took an Antelope quarter out of the cooler while parked in front of my house in 2013. Thought the coast was clear, got the meat, turned and there was a lady standing there on the sidewalk with her ankle biter dog scowling at me. "What's that?" she basically yelled. I said sorry, I just got back with this antelope, it's how I feed my family. She wrinkles her nose, lifts it and says "I guess it is Ok because it was free range!". I said yes mam it was, and got out of sight. I could have told her some tall tales, but did not want her to call the police. It is often weird here for guys like me.
As Timberstalker said they are here too. A few more years of migration from our neighbors to the south, not all are bad by any means - we just seem to get more of the liberal ones, and we will be in the same boat! I am not looking forward to that day!