Hello from Eastern Washington

Pathfinder101

Nov 30, 2018
Walla Walla, WA
Hi all,
I've been lurking on this site on and off for a while, so I thought it was time I registered and became a member.
I spent 21 years in the Army, retiring in 2011 and I am currently a high school ROTC teacher in Washington State. As part of my job I coach the school's Olympic-style rifle team, which is of course my favorite part of the job.
I am a lifelong hunter. Grew up hunting whitetails in Eastern Washington, then when my career brought me back to WA in 2001 I became hooked on mule deer. I am married and have two sons; a 12 year old and a 20 year old. Both love to hunt with me. My oldest son will be at Eastern Washington University this fall and is headed to Fort Knox this week for the Basic ROTC course, so his hunting time this year will be limited. My younger boy is counting the days until bear season.
I mostly hunt in Washington, but have hunted Montana a few times and just started hunting Idaho a couple of years ago.
As a teacher, of course I don't get to spend as much time in the field as I'd like, but I do the best I can.
Looking forward to making everyone's acquaintance.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Welcome and thanks for your service!

RICMIC, that is highly likely a Barren Ground caribou. There is a very small herd of mountain caribou south of Tok but It's not a hunted population.
It's not recognized as a species in Alaska by Fish and Game.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Welcome and thanks for your service!

RICMIC, that is highly likely a Barren Ground caribou. There is a very small herd of mountain caribou south of Tok but It's not a hunted population.
It's not recognized as a species in Alaska by Fish and Game.
Thanks AK. I'll have to connect with you this winter as my wife and I are planning an Alaska road trip next summer.

Reactions: AKaviator