Hearing protection

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Could the members give me some idea what to purchase for hearing protection while hunting. I have been doing some research and am more confused than ever.
One would think that after all these years I would have used some protection and didn't and now want to at least save the hearing I have left. For you young hunters don't do what I did and get some ear protection!! I digress.
I don't know if I should go with the muffs or inserts in the ear.
Thank you in advance for your assistance and look forward to hearing back from the members.

Gman

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Could the members give me some idea what to purchase for hearing protection while hunting. I have been doing some research and am more confused than ever.
One would think that after all these years I would have used some protection and didn't and now want to at least save the hearing I have left. For you young hunters don't do what I did and get some ear protection!! I digress.
I don't know if I should go with the muffs or inserts in the ear.
Thank you in advance for your assistance and look forward to hearing back from the members.

Gman
go with inserts . around here the other hunters might beat you if you're seen with muffs. mights well be a boy in a dress.
:rolleyes:
while many today claim there is nothing wrong with that, THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THAT!

even if they don't beat you , you can bet you would be the butt of their jokes.

if you're ok with that , go with da muffs

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I should wear them but I don't. But at the range you will never catch me without muffs for protection.

If I were to get some I believe that I would get the inserts. They can block the harmful DB's while allowing the faint steps of a buck to come through.

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Thanks Kid as you made a good point and did it with some humor!! I just need to get some ideas on what kind of inserts.

Gman

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I wear different types of protection, depending on what type of shooting I'm doing. For cowboy action shooting I wear custom made earplugs that work well and are almost invisible. I'm wearing them in my avatar. I wear traditional muffs when I'm Bulls Eye pistol shooting and at the range for trap. skeet, rifle & pistol. While hunting I have a setting on my hearing aids that block loud noises.

Yes I do wear hearing aid, probably from 20 years or so of ATA Trap Shooting without any protection at all.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Mine were made by a vendor at a big regional cowboy shoot. They poured some silicone like rubber compound in each ear, let it setup for a couple of minutes and then finished the off....took about an hour. I'll see if I can get the name for you.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I'm another hearing aid wearer - been wearing them for 45 years.

I use electronic muffs now so I don't have to take em off to hear folks talk or tell me to put my gun down (range cold, etc.)

Also use regular ear plugs - orange ones with 2 or 3 baffles/filanges when I don't want to hear anything at all - usually when shooting by myself.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I've used a bunch:

Standard foam plugs
Special foam plugs that cost more but are still the same thing
Standard cheap-o muffs
Walker Razor Electronic muffs
Walker Razor XV neck band

In my opinion for a range day when you don't need to hear much, standard foam plugs are hard to beat. Some brands have the highest NRR of any product, they cost nothing, don't need batteries, no big deal if you lose/damage one, never interfere with your firearm, etc. I know some folks don't like the feeling but in my opinion, once they're in there, after a few minutes you don't notice them.

The one big down side is they take forever to get in. Particularly during hunting season when colder weather makes the foam re-expand more slowly I've had a bunch of times where I had to fuss them them for several minutes, putting them in more than once because the first try didn't seal properly. If you bump a buck you're not going to bother.

I like the muffs but they're big, bulky, and give me headaches over time. I also feel like no matter what muff I've tried (even borrowing a few not on the list above) there's always some firearm interference. It may not always be while shouldering - it could be while slinging/unslinging a rifle or shotgun, or just messing with your hat. Either way, muffs seem to work best for the range but not for hunting.

That took me to earbud style options. So far I'm liking the Walker Razor neck band, though it has its pros and cons. On the plus side you get hearing protection + ambient amplification + bluetooth (if you want that model) in a single product and the cost is actually super reasonable considering what they are - less than $120. They're also very light and don't interfere with hats or other stuff around your head.

But it's not all honey and roses. The battery life is NOT what I hoped for - it lasts "most of a day" but not sunup-to-sundown which is really disappointing. I carry a cell phone charger so I just hook them up when I eat lunch and that makes them work - but if you're going to make a big-form-factor product, why not add the 5 millimeters to give it an all-day battery? I do not understand this.

The second problem is I find the neck band and short earbud-wires do still get in the way in some situations. If you aren't careful it's easy to let the neck band hang down in your shoulder pocket, so when you go to shoulder your gun it can end up between your gun and shoulder, messing you up. This doesn't seem to be a problem for me when I'm using my rifle, but it happens a lot with my shotgun. (I'm a disciple of the Orvis Wing-Shooting Handbook method, where you bring the gun to your sight picture and let your shoulder "roll in" behind it naturally, and maybe this neck band isn't well suited to this motion.)

That doesn't mean I've given up on the product, though. I still think it's the best option FOR ME (and this is a very subjective thing). I believe I can fix how it hangs with a short cord between the two halves, making sure they stay hanging together. One thing I do love is it's comfortable to wear for an all day hunt and with the amplification, I can actually do that. That means I'm much more likely to actually HAVE my hearing protection on. For me, that's the key.

Your mileage may vary.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I'm at 90% loss in my left ear and 50% or so in my right. It sucks. I wear Walker razor muffs. I need muffs with individual volume controls.