Hatchet or Entrenching Tool

EastBoundandDown

Aug 18, 2017
Arizona
Hey fellow outdoors men, I am having a great time on here so far. There are some amazing pictures of some great shots, awesome gun set ups and amazing advice. Which brings me to my question; what is better for backpack hunting a hatchet or an entrenching tool?

I am planning a little hunting/camping trip this fall and I will be trying to be as lightweight as possible while still having the equipment I need to go out in the wilderness for about a week. I want to have something that can deal with the brush/logs that I come across so that I can make firewood if need to which is why I was thinking hatchet, but I also like the idea of having an e-tool so that I can dig holes for paperwork and use the saw blade on any wood I need. What recommendations do you smart people have, should I take one or the other or possibly try and take both? And what would be some good backpack options so I don't weight myself down no matter what I choose? Thanks in advance for all the answers everyone :)

Thanks to some great advice on here, I decided to ditch both the hatchet and the entrenching tool so I could get a nice hunting saw instead and as the Wyoming saw got great reviews here, I looked around and was able to find one online at http://www.used.forsale/hunting-saw-used-for-sale that I am loving. Used it around the property yesterday to see how quick it cut through wood and how heavy it was to carry and I am very pleased.

Last edited:

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
That is a tough call and my biggest consideration would be the weight. I usually carry one of the smaller Fiskars X7 Hatchets and love it. Cuts through just about anything. But even the smaller ones have some weight to them (1.4lbs I believe).

My vote would be the hatchet if you absolutely need it.

Good luck!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I would bring both, and a good wood saw, but leave them all in your truck. If you are backpacking and setting up camp in the wild, you will find plenty of wood, and can just go around any obstructions. You may want a small bone saw, depending on your hunt, and I usually bring a lightweight Lexan trowel for the paperwork duties.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Hey fellow outdoors men, I am having a great time on here so far. There are some amazing pictures of some great shots, awesome gun set ups and amazing advice. Which brings me to my question; what is better for backpack hunting a hatchet or an entrenching tool?

I am planning a little hunting/camping trip this fall and I will be trying to be as lightweight as possible while still having the equipment I need to go out in the wilderness for about a week. I want to have something that can deal with the brush/logs that I come across so that I can make firewood if need to which is why I was thinking hatchet, but I also like the idea of having an e-tool so that I can dig holes for paperwork and use the saw blade on any wood I need. What recommendations do you smart people have, should I take one or the other or possibly try and take both? And what would be some good backpack options so I don't weight myself down no matter what I choose? Thanks in advance for all the answers everyone :)
wyoming saw will eat up he wood, plus comes with a bone saw also. if you are packing in that is what I would bring.

EastBoundandDown

Aug 18, 2017
Arizona
Good tips all around guys. I was looking at some small hatchets and I saw some that had head that would be usable as a small spade so I might even be able to kill two birds with one stone. Definitely looking at the Wyoming saw thought, coming with the bone saw is a pretty good bonus.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I don't know that I can say I have ever cut wood in 35+ years of hunting when I am packed in. Around roads can be a bit different as people often pick up the easy wood, but once you get 100 yards off the road there has always been plenty of loose wood if you are in a forested area. I know even around my house with even a few dozen trees, it is almost impossible to stay on top of the limbs that fall down each year.

Just a thought, but a slight depression, a few rocks or a log (no pun intended) will take care of the paperwork duties.

My philosophy is to reduce pack weight and don't carry something unless it is really important. I just watched a video where the guys from Kuiu were even dehydrating their Wet Ones to save weight.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Been using one for 25 years, a great combo tool, well worth the $$$.
yup. I have both the wyoming and wyoming 2, and both are at least 20 years old and probably closer to 30. have never even replaced a blade on either, though probably should.lol. love both.
one lives in my truck ,other lives in my pack